Very annoying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

expat

I have started getting ads appear in the middle of other members posts, not the ad around the rest of the site or page but right in the centre of each indiividual post, I understand that sites cost money to start and maintain but this is just stupid . Can I block them am I the only one getting them ? :mad:

Can you describe the ads please?

Meaning exactly how they appear? Are they hyperlinked key words that appear when you mouse over them or are they banners that are always visible regardless of mouse location?

banners, right in the middle of the post .not all posts 35 or 40% of them

No I am not logged in, just tested and they do not show when I log in, thanks.I usually look and only bother to login if I want to post.

Anyone is free to read the content of this site without an account. Part of the deal with signing up and logging in though is fewer ads.

For those who do not know what we are talking about log out of your account and view the forum. Then log in again and the ads (within the posts) disappear. It happens at many web forums not just this one.

I'm glad i read this post. this issue just started with me yesterday. I turned my pop up blocker all the way up with no effect; but logging in made the ad's go away
John
MS390

Ad blocking programs(the free or cheap ones anyway) are far more limited in their abilities than most people assume. Many of them are one baby step above spyware themselves.

There are some sites I almost avoid going to visit anymore. Even as a member this site is so slow sometimes,...and hangs-up when I am using one of my computers. I'm no computer expert, but I feel it has a lot to do with all of the ads....even when you are signed in.??

Cruisers & Sailing Forums

I am in charge of maining computers for several organizations, and just yesterday found some software loaded on one of these computers that was doing exactly what this OP is seeing.

I tried pop-up blocking to correct the issue, but that did not work.

In this particular case, when I uninstalled a software package called "Lyric Finder" the problem disappeared.

So one would go to their 'control panel' and look at installed programs/software with that name?,....or could it be hidden somewhere,...many under a different name?

If you ever have the problem CP mentioned-hyperlinked words-it can happen on almost anything thing on your screen-the word will be in blue and double underlined. When you mouseover an ad pops up. I had this the other day. It is incredibly annoying. Go to Control Panel-Programs and look for any program from "Webcake" or with "Conduit" in the name. Uninstall and restart. These get downloaded from many websites without your knowledge especially when you are downloading another program such as a video or audio player.

or free yourself from this and many other headaches and get a Mac.

Signed, a 30 year and never again PC user

Love my Mac and the genius bar along with apple support - sounds like a Kiwi dinner !!

I agree, although even Macs are not invulnerable. The hard drive on my MacBook just died...so the diagnosticians tell me. Mind you it has had 5 yrs quite hard use. Fortunately I have always backed up...so $200 for new drive, re-install OS and back up, and I'll soon be good to go. Thank goodness for my iPad meanwhile.

Ahhhh...the new hard drive was not the issue it appears. The mother board might be sick...

I don't know what you guys are talk'in about.

I do have a big desktop i-mac.

I was in the Apple store (Seattle) yesterday looking at the new ones. They will take everything out of my old one so it will be as new in that regard when I get the new one.

I stand to gain more w a new i-pad though.

But more beneficial than either would be to learn how to use what I've got.

I do have a big desktop i-mac

But more beneficial than either would be to learn how to use what I've got.
I too bought a nice big 22' Imac desktop (for my Thai wife :rolleyes:) who refuses to use it. Of course I was hoping it would attract me as well, but I just haven't taken the time to learn it.

I still like my old XP operating system on my desktop computer as I can navigate around it rather quickly. And I put up with Windows 7 on my laptop. But it seems as though every time you get somewhat comfortable with an operation system, some geeks come along and want to reinvent the wheel and throw everything into chaos :nonono:

I too bought a nice big 22' Imac desktop (for my Thai wife :rolleyes:) who refuses to use it. Of course I was hoping it would attract me as well, but I just haven't taken the time to learn it.

I still like my old XP operating system on my desktop computer as I can navigate around it rather quickly. And I put up with Windows 7 on my laptop. But it seems as though every time you get somewhat comfortable with an operation system, some geeks come along and want to reinvent the wheel and throw everything into chaos :nonono:

Brian, don't be scared...it won't bite...'scuse the pun...just fire up that iMac and have some fun finding out how it goes. It's very intuitive really, and even easier than W7. I know, because I have to use W7 at work, and we are all Macs at home.

Eric, if you didn't understand what we were on about in those last few posts, I suggest you Google, hard drives, RAM, mother (logic) boards, etc and start learning...THERE IS NO GOING BACK, SORRY...
As to your new. IMac...like I said to Brian, above...'seasy

It's very intuitive really, and even easier than W7. I know, because I have to use W7 at work, and we are all Macs at home.
Save your breath, Peter, trying to get a PC user to try a Mac is almost impossible. :horse: You would have a better chance persuading a Democrat to switch to the Republican party.

I use to use a PC for years at work and then switched to a Mac when I left and I woudnt go back.

The best idea is to have your Mac partioned off so that you can use both PC and Mac off the same computer using programs like Bootcamp etc.

I use to use a PC for years at work and then switched to a Mac when I left and I woudnt go back.

The best idea is to have your Mac partioned off so that you can use both PC and Mac off the same computer using programs like Bootcamp etc.

Exactly what I did so my "PC only" nav programs also run on the Mac, ten years ago I thought Mac's were only an apple to eat......:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Go to Google and look at your Adsense settings - they are probably the ones responsible for annoying you. They will let you change the settings.

Back
Top Bottom