The ultimate trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, I'll try that. BTW, often wondered why boat pics on Yachtworld are no longer 'savable'.
If you see a pic that you want to save, can't you just"print screen?" :blush:

Alden 57' Oceangoing Power Cruiser

Here is one of my favorites

Okay, its time for a beautiful Alden design, although a little short on sailing potential. But look at the lines of this vessel, and the very comfortable living space. I almost bought one of these.

From Rudder mag;
Mr. Brandt of Massachusetts, is a man who wants to go places, safely and comfortably Alden was commissioned to design the vessel to do this, and the result is shown here. The Lazy Lady is Alden’s idea a modern, oceangoing power cruiser.

She was built by the Bass Harbor Boat Shop of Bernard, Maine and thus far has lived up to her owners expectations. Powered by a 220 hp. Cummins diesel engine, she can cruise continually at better than 10 knots. Corten steel fuel tanks holding 1,060 gallons provide a cruising range of 2,000 miles.

Below, she has three staterooms sleeping six plus crews quarters for two. Mr. Brandt specified a large saloon, and this one fills the bill. It opens directly into a deep after cockpit that is, in effect, a continuation of the saloon.

The sails are strictly secondary propulsion. 613 square feet in area, they are to be used for steadying, emergencies, and for helping out the engines on long passages. She is not to be considered a motor sailer, but rather a cruiser capable of handling long distances on bumpy oceans

Alden57 profile, 640.jpg

Hawksbill underway,640.jpg

0980B-Under-Way2, 640.jpg

dwg, 640.jpg

0980B-1lg, 640.jpg

Now this vessel would cross oceans !

And I love that crow's nest for shallow water navigation.

Last edited:
You certainly know your trawlers, Conrad. Yes, those two influences, combining the blandly simple Chereubini 43 cabin and that classic Pilgrim hull with only subtle freeboard mods. I imagined a raised pilothouse version would make space for my stand-up engine room, but we can both see that the house is way too far forward. So, if we don't want 25 ft. prop shafts, I guess the solution would have to be this last one below, the Pioneer "Gambler". I'm here in Stuart, FL on my boat, and playing with this in the evening has been a great relief from working in all day heat.

I do believe that the Gambler model could be a viable addition to the Pioneer line as it certainly enhances the traditional look!

Some technical questions...

On your Gambler prototype, did you go with a single shaft between the two paddlewheels, driven by a single engine? Or did you opt for a twin engine, twin drive shaft approach?

If the latter is the case, did it allow you to dispense with the rudder, as you could control the direction via paddle speeds?

I didn't have heat today, but the incessant rain didn't do much for my state of mind....

Conrad: Single Nanny (Kabota) with Peachment hydraulic thru-hull drives using simple separate port & starboard valves. Actually, I experienced this driveline in a 43 ft. Euro 400 Canal boat while cruising in Germany. Smooth as silk and you can pull from full throttle forward right through the gate and into reverse with not worry. Also had a hydraulic bow thruster.

3.63hp per ton and 55 tons.

3000 gal fuel

Where would you like to go comfortably?

Brian,
There is one of those Aldens here in Queensland. Built by Quilky here in Aus a fair while ago and I think there is also a smaller version of the same boat around.
It was tied up near me recently when the Sanctuary Cove Boat Show was on.
This one has had a complete refit and is in beautiful condition.
I think on the market for around 600k
I only have a couple of pics and they are attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0818.jpeg
    IMG_0818.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_0826.jpeg
    IMG_0826.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 362
This is a boat that and will continue to cross many oceans. Not bad for a 37 year old girl. The only thing 37 years old is the fiberglass. To this day I have a hard time trying to replace her without out spending dollars with to many numbers.

image-760925471.jpg

image-578509795.jpg

Brian,
There is one of those Aldens here in Queensland. Built by Quilky here in Aus a fair while ago and I think there is also a smaller version of the same boat around.
It was tied up near me recently when the Sanctuary Cove Boat Show was on.
This one has had a complete refit and is in beautiful condition.
I think on the market for around 600k
I only have a couple of pics and they are attached.
Don't remember the broker or the name of the vessel?? I did a quick search thru the internet and did not did her.

Name of vessel on transom "Riversong"
You won't find her with any broker, as with many of these boats here in Qld it is all word of mouth between broker, owner and buyer.
It's a virtual underground system in some ways. I have a good mate of mine who is very interested in her.
Apparently there is also one for sale down in Mexico in the 300 to 400k range.
Cheers
Benn

This is a boat that and will continue to cross many oceans. Not bad for a 37 year old girl. The only thing 37 years old is the fiberglass. To this day I have a hard time trying to replace her without out spending dollars with to many numbers.

Ah, the Hatteras 48 LRC

One of my favorites!

Last edited:
Name of vessel on transom "Riversong"
You won't find her with any broker, as with many of these boats here in Qld it is all word of mouth between broker, owner and buyer.
It's a virtual underground system in some ways. I have a good mate of mine who is very interested in her.
Apparently there is also one for sale down in Mexico in the 300 to 400k range.
Cheers
Benn
So perhaps the owner doesn't even put it on any free websites listings for sale?

Would you guess if she was built of wood, or glass, or metal?

Did she have that bowsprit as in the original drawing?
Brian

Timber planked, not sure what timber, but will find out later, pretty sure Gardner engine , doesn't look to have large bow sprit.
If you were seriously interested I could put you in touch with a broker who can make contact with owner.
These deals don't haggle very much, all pretty straight forward, you want you buy, if owner wants to sell he does.

For some good photos there is a book "Classic Moreton Bay Cruisers" David Millar did the photography his web site is - www.millarsphoto.com.au
I think the photos were taken before last refit and fly bridge was refitted.

Cheers
Benn

Last edited:
If you were seriously interested I could put you in touch with a broker who can make contact with owner.

For some good photos there is a book "Classic Moreton Bay Cruisers" David Millar did the photography his web site is - www.millarsphoto.com.au
Cheers
Benn
I'll try looking up those photos. I try to keep a file on these motorsailers. and PARTICULARLY this Alden 57 design and a Rhodes 44 design that is somewhat similar in concept. Here is a forum subject I also keep updating:

Motor Sailers by Philip Rhodes & John Alden - YachtForums.Com

I was seriously considering making an offer on Hawksbill, the one built by a very good builder up in Maine. But at that time I was also considering a move to Thailand, so conflict of interest. Just last year I was again approached about my possible interest in buyer her. There are 2 major problems as I see it presently. Wood boats are almost impossible to finance, and insure , and even dock at some marinas now. The 2 problem is reselling them if one should want to move onto something else. I told that broker I would only consider buying it if I could insure myself that I wouldn't be taking a really big hit financially.

I wonder if there might be a market for such a design built with a steel hull and composite cored superstructure?

Here is pic of that Rhodes 44 I speak of. Only 2 of these vessels were built long ago in a Taiwanese yard. Another candidate for steel hull, composite superstructure.

Attachments

• Rhodes Discoverer 44 Ad, ps.jpg
    Rhodes Discoverer 44 Ad, ps.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 246
I don't know where you speak of in having trouble with timber boats.
Here in Aus they are at a premium, bring good prices, are not hard to ensure and all marinas will accommodate them as long as you have insurance, This is a requirement for all vessels.
They also resale very well her in Aus as most knowledgeable cruisers appreciate all the good points of a well found timber vessel.
Cheers
Benn

Cheers
Benn
WOW thanks, I visited that website and scrolled down to Riversong,...lots of great photos....lovely vessel.

Wonder what the rest of the spec's are like?

I did find this in the Alden owners archive
Alden Yatch Designs Since 1911 - Niels Helleberg Yacht Design Designers of Fine Yachts

...and one photo there

Attachments

• Alden 57, Riversong, 640.jpg
    Alden 57, Riversong, 640.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
All these MS are great , if you want to cross blue water, however they seem to have little to offer the folks that want to cruise on the water.

The trawler and marine motorists seem to prefer to be UP where the view is , not down below , looking out an 8 inch port.

Yes the larger deck house does make a big difference in living , IF it can double as the main salon, but not enough to make a sales difference.

I think you will find these vessels have quite a nice big salon with great big window vista,.....and a nice flybridge as well

Attachments

• Hawksbill%2520027post.JPG
    Hawksbill%2520027post.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 151
  • Hawksbill%2520034post.JPG
    Hawksbill%2520034post.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 122
  • Hawksbill%2520024post.JPG
    Hawksbill%2520024post.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Hawksbill%2520014post.JPG
    Hawksbill%2520014post.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 1970-alden-hawksbill-offshore-sportfisherman-2.jpg
    1970-alden-hawksbill-offshore-sportfisherman-2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 1970-lyman-morse-alden-hawksbill-fisherman--10.jpg
    1970-lyman-morse-alden-hawksbill-fisherman--10.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 4043_Riversong_MG_1636.jpg
    4043_Riversong_MG_1636.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 127
There is a thread on Rhodes and Alden boats on BoatDesign.net

It's in the "design" section.

All these MS are great , if you want to cross blue water, however they seem to have little to offer the folks that want to cruise on the water.

The trawler and marine motorists seem to prefer to be UP where the view is , not down below , looking out an 8 inch port.

Yes the larger deck house does make a big difference in living , IF it can double as the main salon, but not enough to make a sales difference.

I agree with the issue of looking out an 8 inch port. I get claustrophobic in most sailboats.
Also, I need a boat that will be semi-comfortable in 3-4 ft of choppy swell, and safe in 6-8 ft. Most trawlers in my price range don't meet this requirement.
That is why I ended up with a motor sailer. The deck house does contain the main salon as most MS's do, although mine is a little tight. Only so much you can design into 30 ft.
I still consider it a Trawler when the sails are down.

Future plans may require more blue water capability. This would be the next step.

BTW - so many great boats on this thread. There isn't one that I don't admire.

Attachments

• Yemanja2.jpg
    Yemanja2.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 692
This 50' aluminum beach-able Gerr design, Impossible Dream, sure gets my sea kayaking juices flowing because you could tuck yourself away in all kinds of nooks and crannies where other boats couldn't anchor. Having an over 3000 mile range would mean being able to explore BC and Alaska's coast for extended periods of time without having to come back to civilization to fuel up. Me-thinks a bow thruster and gyro unit would be seriously considered additions.

It is aptly named for me however, as my "Happy and Humble" lifestyle choices have left me little financial wiggle room...

http://www.gerrmarine.com/power_50.html

Attachments

• Gerr Design 1.jpg
    Gerr Design 1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 145
  • Gerr Design 2.jpg
    Gerr Design 2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Here's a bit more info from Gerr's Impossible Dream link above:

50-foot aluminum Sea Bright skiff ocean voyaging motorcruiser, 3,500 mile range, beachable on Sea Bright skiff box keel, with 4 foot 3 inch draft

LOA: 50 ft. - 6 in. (15.3 m)
LWL: 46 ft. - 0 in. (14.0 m)
Beam: 14 ft. - 9 in. (4.5 m)
Draft: 4 ft. - 3 in. (1.3 m)
Propeller Dia: 2 ft. - 5 in. (74 cm)
Displacement: 24.8 tons
Power: (1) 270-hp Cummins B
Speed: 11.5 knots max, 9 to 10 knots cruise

>9 to 10 knots cruise<

I would assume this is the inshore , lakes and bays cruise , to go claimed 3,500 mile range ,the entire vessel would need to be a fuel tank.

Perhaps about 7K , 3500nm is possible.

>9 to 10 knots cruise<

I would assume this is the inshore , lakes and bays cruise , to go claimed 3,500 mile range ,the entire vessel would need to be a fuel tank.

Perhaps about 7K , 3500nm is possible.

The resolution is pretty crappy, but I'm pretty sure those large tanks are 850 gallons apiece;

Attachments

• Gerr Design 3.jpg
    Gerr Design 3.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 111
I would think that shroud around the propeller would eliminate prop walk.

I would want a higher wheelhouse for better visibility seaworthiness be damed.

Last edited:
850 gal +850gal =1700 gal total

3500miles /1700gal = 2gph.

A boat this size would never get 9-10K on 2 gph

Maybe 6K ,if single engine with cruising prop..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom