Fair Haven, NY to the Hudson?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddyo

Guru
Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
DeFever 48
I'm traveling and don't have access to my plotter. Does anyone know the nm distance from Fair Haven to the Hudson River?

If you are talking Fairhaven, Mass (New Bedford Harbor) to New york (the battery) it is 228 NM. The beginning of the Hudson river is at the Battery. Albany is approx 125 NM north of the battery.

A handy website is Ports.com for instant distances. They are geared to shipping, so ICW and smaller ports won't work.

Thanks but it's Fair Haven ,NY

One thing to watch out for when using PORTS.com is an anomaly that seems to happen sometimes. On the route from Fairhave Mass to NY, it shows the route going up through providence and Fall river. On the NY end it also shows the route going up to Yonkers and back down. The toatl mileage shown is 228 NM. This is incorrect. I should have looked at the route before posting 228nm.
Sometimes this occurs when there are inland portions of routes involved. Sorry, MY bad! I should have looked at the route before I gave the mileage.

Daddyo - I keep looking at google earth trying to follow the Great Loop backwards. Do you turn off the (or onto in your case) at Cohoes/Waterford area? Is that the distance you are looking for? From Fairhaven to Oswego to Waterford?

Or did you find your answer?

Roughly following a path from Oswego to Waterford is 160 nautical miles, or 184 statute miles. Then from Fair Haven to Oswego is 15 or so, depending on how far off shore you need to be. Also keep in mind I was using Google earth, not charts, so not sure how close that is to accurate. But guestimate around 160+ miles.

Got a delivery or did you take Grace all the way there?

Thanks a bunch. No it's for a client. He hopes to be joining us trawler types soon. I'm in St Augustine but Grace is still in Southwest Harbor until late Oct just in time for another hurricane!!! Headed back up there to paradise in a few days.

Be advised if you do not know that the NY canal hours are reduced this year. They open at 8am and last lock thru is 5:45.
The good news is that they WILL start locking at 8 sharp and generally like to get you thru fast.

Back
Top Bottom