Fuel Leak Assistance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blue Heron

Guru
Folks, I noticed I had fuel in my Drip pans and ran the engine to idle and noticed the leak was appearing to come from the linkage on my fuel pump? It is a static drip when running the engine pretty steady.

Any idea on how to proceed?

All input welcomed.

Thanks

Attachments

• Fuel LEaK.jpg
    Fuel LEaK.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 136
What Rick said or take it to any diesel injection shop, they will do it. Most will work on Lucas/Cav pumps.

Perkins 135
BH, somewhere on the old forum I posted a picture of your type CAV pump. The diesel shop I used had a cut away model and I also discussed replacing the seals on the cover as I recall. I never have any luck with the search with my iPhone so maybe you want to try to look it up. It may be related to a 4.236 post. Pulling the pump to have a shop replace the seals requires removing the injector lines and supply/ return lines. Removing the linkage. Removing a stamped steel cover bolted to the front cover. Removing 3- 5/16" NF bolts (1/2" socket) that holds the gear to the pump. There is not enough room for the gear to fall down out of the drive gear so timing stays intact. The shaft on the pump has an alignment roll pin so the gear will only fit one way. Last- remove the 3 nuts and washers that hold the pump to the front cover. Snap a picture of the timing mark stamped on one ear to be sure you put the housing back in the same spot. Chances are the old paint will also show you. Then repeat to replace the pump. **** Now you see why I think it would be better to make the repair with the pump on the engine!

I've got the 4.236 and had a similar leak at the high pressure fuel pump. I was told the new low sulfur fuels are hard on those old style o-rings and seals.

Had a diesel mechanic pull the pump and send it to the diesel shop. They traded it out for a rebuilt unit and he installed it. Bottom line cost...$1400. YMMV

Thanks Guys. Great INFO. I am two weeks out for a mechanic to even come look at it. I may pull it on my own if I can find a shop that can repair it. Lucky for me, this is on the stbd engine so I can access it.

Thanks guys!

The fuel pump on the 671 seal leaked which allowed diesel to be pump directly in the oil pan. So you might want to check your oil level and if the oil is thin. When checking the oil I noticed the oil level was above the normal dip stick level. :confused:

will this leak cause air to get into the fuel and shut down the engine?

I have the same with my 354

Did that exact repair one month ago It was less the 100 dollars in parts it was easy no way would I remove it from the motor may 1 hr worth of work.

I agree with forklift . I just looked at mine today because davesail
Just posted he had same problem . Is that not a seal right behind where the linkage goes in ? It kinda looks like a cap of some kind . Could you just disconnect linkage and replace seal from outside if that is a seal.

There are o rings on the shafts you can not access them that way. You take take the two castle nut off and it will take that housing off. You can PM me and I can take you through it was so nice not to have spend a lot I money on it.

Older O rings slowly disolving in our new gov mandated food / fuel is the problem with loads of older engines.

Remember all O rings are not equal , what comes from Home Cheapo or NAPA may or may not be up to modern fuel mixes.

Best O rings will come from the repair shops that do this sort of work.

They recommend replacing the body with the o ring when you make the repair. In some ways it easier you don't have to clean off the old gasket off.

Attachments

• image-233491739.jpg
    image-233491739.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 87

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom