Face recognition?!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Drowned my Canon SD600 digital camera when beaching the dinghy on Angel Island the other day. Today, replaced it with a Canon S110 ($350, about the same inflation-adjusted price of the six-year-old SD600). Fortunately, I was already thinking of getting a new camera since the SD600 uses getting-harder-to-find 2GB memories.

One unexpected feature of the S110 is its face-recognition function. Amazing! ... Nevertheless, this reminds me how easily governments can now monitor our comings and goings.

Mark next time you drown your camera rinse it off real good in fresh water and put it in the fridge for a couple days. Drys it out thoroughly and slowly. Works like a charm with all electronics that go swimming.

Mark next time you drown your camera rinse it off real good in fresh water and put it in the fridge for a couple days. Drys it out thoroughly and slowly. Works like a charm with all electronics that go swimming.

I've heard the same thing about putting it in rice. Presumably they mean uncooked ;) But it makes sense, that would draw out the moisture.

And the face recognition capability has been available in software for years. Google's Picasa for example. You actually have to turn that feature off if you don't want it. It IS a good reminder of what our gov't, and more so big corporations who want to advertise to us, are capable of. Not sure I'm ready for a tin-foil hat yet, but it does give one pause. The Facebook generation is already used to a total lack of privacy. Maybe it'll all be OK.

And the face recognition capability has been available in software for years. Google's Picasa for example. ...

The technology is so inexpensive now it's bound to be/get ubiquitous.

And don't forget the "Black Box" in your car. If you don't have a car with one now, you will eventually.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom