Cleaning Interior Wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poach

Vessel Name
Poach
Vessel Make
Sabreline Trawler
We are buying a new to us boat with a lot of interior wood. What do others use to clean interior wood surfaces? These are satin varnished maple.

Murphy Oil Soap

50/50 mix of vinegar and water for daily cleaning while at sea will keep everything looking great. Don't be afraid to use mineral spirits if you need something stronger.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

We use a product called Orange Glow, it is known by Golden Oil in the USA...........boat smells and looks great!

I've used both Murphy's Oil Soap and the Orange Glo. Both work well, although as Mike says, the orange glow leaves a great smell.
Be careful about using the Orange Glo on any wood floors. It can make them a little slippery if over applied.

I find water/vinegar can be used if its wiped dry immediately after, otherwise it can leave a whitish haze. (like you get if a spill is left on a wooden table)

Whaever you use, remember you are not really cleaning the wood. You are cleaning the protective finish on the wood, which could be varnish, lacquer or possibly shellac. They all react differently so best to test anything in a nonconspicuous area.

Last edited:
Spick & Span in the liquid form.

Strong but mild and easier to rinse than other soaps .

Windex with vinegar to clean and then Liquid Gold spray wax to protect. Been using Liquid gold for interior for 40+ years.

Pledge Revitalizing Oil

a05b1686-b99c-442f-a516-2563c928d967_300.jpg

or Orange Glo

39F162_AS01

with similar results

I have been using a knock-off of Orange Glow, available at Smart and Final for about $3 a bottle. It's great stuff and has kept all the wood inside of my boat looking great. I've been using it for two years and love it!

Back
Top Bottom