Anti-Rolling Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
RunningTide
Vessel Make
37 Louisiane catamaran
Just ran across a discussion on an older subject thread I had contributed to entitled "anti-rolling tanks"
Anti-Rolling Tank - Boat Design Forums

Tad Roberts had made a contribution to that thread as well, siting a 'flume tank' :
Anti-Rolling Tank - Boat Design Forums

That posting of his provoked me to look closer at the vessel he was talking about, a Roughwater 58 named 'Swan Song'
Anti-Rolling Tank - Page 3 - Boat Design Forums

When I went looking on this forum I found this reference had been posted on this forum, but never got any traction with follow-on discussions,...perhaps because of the subject title?
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/rougwater-58-phil-1647.html

.....so I bring up the subject under a more applicable title

You show a design site in your address. Please tell us about your credentials, education, and experience.

I guess you are proud of them and are eager to share.

Mike

You show a design site in your address. Please tell us about your credentials, education, and experience.

I guess you are proud of them and are eager to share.
Mike
I'll add something to my profile page about myself. I don't think it needs to get mixed in with any one particular subject thread.

BTW, I went looking thru a number of your postings and found them to be quite interesting and informative on a number of different subjects,...even bookmarked a couple of them for future reference. :thumb:

You did not answer the question. Do you think, aw forget it.

Hey, I’m not the person presenting myself as a boat designer, but you are.

Dig around in my prior posts all you want.

Typical. A attack on the person who asks a question. I've looked at your posts, and i'll use them against you.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
The anti roll tank, ART, is not a flume in the traditional sense as the tank is mounted high on top of the roof. Where as flume traditional are low in the bilge. If you do a search there should be several discussions. However not many heard know about ART and flumes. A sister 58 RW has one and crossed the Pacific to Hawaii. I have the general arrangements drawing and infformation. Its a box 10 ft by 4 ft by with baffles that time the water back and forth to counter the roll of the boat.

The anti roll tank, ART, is not a flume in the traditional sense as the tank is mounted high on top of the roof. Where as flume traditional are low in the bilge.

:confused:

Attachments

• OSVFlumeTankThumb.jpg
    OSVFlumeTankThumb.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 713
  • AllocationFlumeTanksThumb.jpg
    AllocationFlumeTanksThumb.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 699
When aboard the USCGC Glacier on my Antarctica trip...I was fascinated by the active anti-roll tanks/system aboard her. I believe but could be way off....she could transfer 10,000 gallons a minute side to side.

She still rolled like a pig and while most USCG cutters roll like pigs...I never encountered one with a decent anti-roll system...liquid or not.

Cruise Ships use fins I believe...so I'm guessing only real specialty boats/ships might be having luck with water based anti-roll systems.

Unless I have missed something I'm guessing they are too complicated, costly or ineffective for widespread use...or there are just better systems out there.

Last edited:
Unless I have missed something I'm guessing they are too complicated, costly or ineffective for widespread use...or there are just better systems out there.

All of the above ... plus noisy. The latest greatest variation uses a computer to control the rate of flow so that the phase relationship between the water movement and the roll actually provides damping rather than making it worse.

Every ship I have been on had the system removed and used the tank volume for other purposes. Some containerships use a form of roll control tanks for minimizing list when loading or offloading as containers have to be level to connect and disconnect properly.

For motion control, it is really hard to beat modern active stabilizers, even at anchor.

I meant to ask the question of all forum members if anyone else had experimented with these passive 'flume tanks' ??

Flume Tank Stabilizers
When I tried to connect to the link at this website for more information on flume, it would not work.

...and when I tried to email the address given that also would not work??

Back
Top Bottom