First aid kit suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AussieCraig

Vessel Name
The Salty Swallow - named by wife
Vessel Make
Private builder - 50' Trawler
Evening all, looking for suggestions regarding things out of the ordinary to include in a cruising first aid kit...the normal stuff like peroxide, bandages, etc etc are already onboard but I was wondering if anyone takes anything unusual that may be worth including ?

I have white vinegar for marine stings but that's about it unusual...:Thanx:

First Aid

Depending on how long you'll be away from medical assistance. We carried a .Adventure Medical Marine 1000 Medical Kit. Costs some money but always had what we needed. Always replaced things we used and added a few extra items that we needed ( pills, etc ... )

I found that the pre-assembled medical kits and first aid kits cost a bundle. I made a list of what was in them then bought a large fishing tackle box to use as a first aid kit. I filled it with the same things the pre-assembled kits had at a much lower cost and was able to add in some things that didn't come in the kits.

I found that the pre-assembled medical kits and first aid kits cost a bundle. I made a list of what was in them then bought a large fishing tackle box to use as a first aid kit. I filled it with the same things the pre-assembled kits had at a much lower cost and was able to add in some things that didn't come in the kits.

And what did you add in mate ?

In addition to the usual stuff, I keep a pack of single sided safety blades (the type used for shaving), old fashioned ice bag/compress, popsicle sticks for finger splints, and Kelly forceps. Don't forget really good, pointy tweezers!

In addition to the usual stuff, I keep a pack of single sided safety blades (the type used for shaving), old fashioned ice bag/compress, popsicle sticks for finger splints, and Kelly forceps. Don't forget really good, pointy tweezers!
All good suggestions!

There's usually 2 kinds of first aid kits for boaters... a $25 special from any discount store and an EPIRB (if within a couple hundred miles of rescue helicopters)...;)

and an EMT shock/trauma kit (even better if more sophisticated!)....:eek:

Reality is...usually medical assistance on the water is if often MUCH longer than on land...even in busy harbors...and nice suburban neighborhoods along the ICW. 911 calls between agencies falls apart in many areas where marine resources are concerned.

There are great examples of cruisers med lists if you search...I have a few from Boating Mag tear outs through the years. Many include "prescription" drugs and devices that a DR will prescribe or get for you if you have a doc that will listen to what you are planning to do...if not...keep browsing the yellow pages till you find one.

Often if you attend a good boating event..one that includes lectures....often a "medical stuff at sea" presentation by a cruising doc him/herself will lend an ear and help or turn you to a colleague that will.

Laugh if you will but simple duct tape. Have used it for years on simple lacerations when resources where scarce and time to first aid assistance great.

Another first aid piece already in your toolbox is a magnetic screwdriver tip used in cordless tools. Held close to your eye it will quickly and safely remove almost any stray metal chip.

Laugh if you will but simple duct tape. Have used it for years on simple lacerations when resources where scarce and time to first aid assistance great.

Another first aid piece already in your toolbox is a magnetic screwdriver tip used in cordless tools. Held close to your eye it will quickly and safely remove almost any stray metal chip.
I can tell from your response that you are handyman in emergency.

I have always had a pretty comprehensive first aid kit put together by a mate of mine who was medico.
He doesn't practice anymore so have started to look at kits.
2 interest me
1. Adventure 2000 kit
2. First responder First aid kit
Both are relatively expensive but for where I cruise some of the time the more kit available the better.
I am always up to date on my first aid due to work training, but I will also probably add some script drugs to whatever I buy.
Cheers
Benn

1. I'm thinking quite a few of us take blood thinners, this stuff is supposed to be very effective at controlling bleeding QuikClot - Home I carry some in my car and on the boat.

2. LOMOTIL!

2. LOMOTIL!
No. 2(now that`s appropriate:blush:) is a good idea, I think Imodium (Loperamide) became the diarrhea/diarrhoea control choice.

1. Superglue works as an emergency suture for a deep cut.
2. Antibiotic ointment to control infection on cuts.
3. Ammonia for bee stings.
4. iTriage app on my smartphone for diagnosis/treatment assistance. Also finds nearest hospital/non-emergency health care/pharmacy based on GPS coordinates.

Steve, until I realized Lomotil was a medication, I was trying to figure out what it stood for. I got as far as Leaking Out My Own Touche In Lavatory. I wasn't too far from the truth! :D

Say, maybe a dab of Superglue in the right spot could be even more effective for stopping diarrhea? Anyone volunteer to try it?

Say, maybe a dab of Superglue in the right spot could be even more effective for stopping diarrhea? Anyone volunteer to try it?

Steve, You are a sick man. Funny as all heck but sick. :thumb::thumb:

suture. When super glue just won't do.

SD

And what did you add in mate ?
Going from memory here (and you know how that is when one gets grey hair on top!!) I added things like

sharp scissors
*serrated blade knife
super glue
*LED flashlights
*sunscreen
*bottled water
*sea sickness pills
*zip ties
*aloe vera gel
calamine lotion
*Aleve, Pepto Bismol, Tagamet, Sudafed, Ibuprofen
*Rubber gloves
*Space Blanket
*Microfiber towels

Items with asterisk are also kept in the ditch bag.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom