Replacing Sliding Windows 1985 36' Seahorse/Monk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tatanka

Vessel Name
Kristine
Vessel Make
41 President
Question from a Newbie,

I have two cracked aft cabin windows which slide. I wanted to ask someone to share details in replacing these and what type of replacement glass to use? Do I start by taking the outside (exterior) teak trim off to remove them? Please share any nuisances in replacing these.

Thanks, John

I don't know about your boat but my GB has the window frame fasteners coming from inside the cabin to the outside frames. Can you post pictures?

On my sliding windows I removed the flocking on top & under the window, it would then raise up into a groove in the top frame, tilt the bottom out & remove. Good luck

I can take some pics this weekend and post them. The teak paneling on this inside does not appear to have access.

Thanks, John

I can take some pics this weekend and post them. The teak paneling on this inside does not appear to have access.

Thanks, John

Mine are removable from the outside not from the interior

...and what type of replacement glass to use? ...

We replaced a pilot house window this past season. We installed laminated safety glass after talking to others including glass companies. If it's tinted, matching it to 25 plus year old glass is difficult. We removed the damaged window and took it to a glass company. They cut a perfect match while we waited.

Laminated glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We replaced a pilot house window this past season. We installed laminated safety glass after talking to others including glass companies. If it's tinted, matching it to 25 plus year old glass is difficult. We removed the damaged window and took it to a glass company. They cut a perfect match while we waited.

Laminated glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
How many windows replaced? What did they charge? I know if you own a boat you don't ask that but I am.thanks capt.wrongway

Last edited:
On my sliding windows I removed the flocking on top & under the window, it would then raise up into a groove in the top frame, tilt the bottom out & remove. Good luck
Flocking? Some sort of stuffing in the frame?

Flocking? Some sort of stuffing in the frame?

Yes the channel shaped material that lines the frame and cushions the glass so it will slide easily & not rattle.

image-2531982596.jpg

Last edited:
Based on my very informal marina survey and talking to several experienced boat maintenance/yard guys I know - it depends. For example, my Viking requires something akin to an archeological dig to remove the entire window assembly from the interior. It appears Hats are installed from the exterior.

River Cruiser - I got the part about removing the channel to gain a little vertical clearance for sliding window removal - that may be the answer to my problem rather than removing a bunch of teak. However, I'm not clear on how the reassembly works - how do you get the new window/channel installed? - thought the channel had to go in first.

After cleaning the frame replace the glass in the frame. It takes 2 people, one to hold the glass as high in the frame as possible while the other slides the new flocking into the channel at the bottom of the frame. Next lower the glass into the new flocking & slide the flocking into the top channel, it helps to move the glass back & forth while doing this. Make sure that you cut slots in the bottom flocking to allow water to drain if you have drains in the frame. Good luck

image-601949784.jpg

This pic won't help much with the covers on but you can see part of the aluminium frame.

Last edited:
Thanks, River Cruiser. Gonna give it a shot.

Thanks, River Cruiser. Gonna give it a shot.

That was one of the projects that had the greatest benefit as far as making the boat more comfortable while anchored out, great ventilation is a must for getting a good nights sleep during the summer in our area. The PO never opened them & I couldn't get them to open till I replaced the flocking, right after I finished they would open on their own from the small amount of vibration while cruising unless locked. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom