Documentation Could Take 6 Months?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachbum29

Guru
I guess it's been about 3 months since we purchased our boat. The temporary registration has expired.

The title person at the brokerage said the coast guard is now taking up to 6 months to process the paperwork.

WTF?

This can't be true, can it?

That is about right, but there is a note on the USCG site that says they are going to start issuing "temporary" documentation which will serve as good as permanent while you wait. Technically, you can sail with your "application for documentation", can't remember where I read that.

Right now the permanent documentations that are being issued were submitted in April. So you have about 2 months for permanent if you submitted in June.

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, Home Page

NEW: In order to provide some relief to our RECREATIONAL CUSTOMERS due to the large backlogs with applications for an Initial Certificate of Documentation (COD) or the Reissue/Exchange of the COD, the NVDC, EFFECTIVE ON OR ABOUT 8 JULY 2013, will be issuing Temporary CODs. Please note the Temp COD will be in a different format then the permanent COD; it will be in a letter format printed on blue paper which is embedded with specific security features. The Temp COD letter will include the managing owner’s name & address, the vessel’s official number, and will be signed by the Director.

Temporary CODs shall be maintained on the vessel at all times while the vessel is being operated. The Temporary COD shall remain valid until the first of the following shall have occurred:

1. The elapse of one (1) year from the issue date (above) of this letter; or
2. The issuance of the vessel’s permanent COD which, upon its issuance, shall supersede this temporary COD; or
3. Issuance of written notice of a determination by the NVDC that the vessel is not eligible for documentation; or
4. An ownership change to the vessel before the permanent COD shall have been issued.
While it is in effect, the recreational vessel subject to this temporary COD shall be deemed to be a documented vessel of the United States, subject to all of the rights and responsibilities applicable by law to documented vessels and to Certificates of Documentation. However, please note this document is not conclusive evidence of title in any proceeding where ownership is in issue. Complete records are on file at the NVDC.

In order to be eligible for a Temporary COD, one must meet the citizenship requirements and nationality requirements (i.e. vessel must not be foreign registered). If the applicant does not meet these minimum requirements, no correspondence will be forthcoming until a complete review of the case file is conducted.

Temporary Certificates of Documentation WILL NOT be reissued if lost, mutilated or destroyed.

I guess it's been about 3 months since we purchased our boat. The temporary registration has expired.

The title person at the brokerage said the coast guard is now taking up to 6 months to process the paperwork.

WTF?

This can't be true, can it?

We purchase our's in September and it took about six month's to get all paperwork back from Coast Guard . Now we are wanting to change name on boat .Should have done that when we purchased but there was too much going on then.I'm not sure how long that will take. Has anyone done this lately?

Dammit...How do I acquire said Temporary COD?

I sent my paperwork to Doc Center 2nd week of April, about 3 weeks ago I got Temp Documentation in form of a letter. Read on their site they are appox 4 months behind. I expect regular doc in about two more weeks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom