Best fiberglass cleaner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwnall

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
Having all this information available at the click of a mouse on the internet is a wonderful thing, but sometimes there is just too much information. Especially when a heck of a lot of it is just advertising, which may or may not be factual. I have googled "best cleaner for dirty fiberglass" and gotten more information than I ever really wanted to know!

So rather than try to figure out from all that puffery which is the best cleaner to use on cleaning the dirty fiberglass outside of my boat (both hull and topside), I will instead humbly ask for advice from the experts on here. (And I am not being sarcastic when I use the term "expert," either, since some of you clearly are!)

John

Well, everyone will have an opinion and favorite products. Here is mine.

• For rust and stubborn stains---hull stain remover, On and Off, Roll Off.FSR
  • For barnacles---On and Off, Zing
  • For regular cleaning of non skid areas---Deck cleaner (Starbrite or other brands. Even the Wal-Mart brand does a good job)
  • I like the 3M
  • I like the 3 M brands for cleaning and waxing. They have various grades of cleaners and compounds for buffing. Then wax or polish.
  • I use a regular car wash with some wax in it for washing.

Last edited:
...........which is the best cleaner to use on cleaning the dirty fiberglass outside of my boat?

IMHO Marykate On and Off hull cleaner works like magic - just apply with rag or brush, wash it off and Voila!

A word of caution: it smells like the main ingredient is muriatic acid, so don't get this stuff on your clothes or sunbrella covers etc.

I use Roll Off on a regular basis. It works great and does not hurt Canvas or isenglass. You hose down the deck then spray on a little bit and leave it on for a few minutes. Then with a boat brush scrub lightly and hose off. One guy on our dock tried it and now every one uses it.
John
MS390

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom