Generator KW required

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alaskans are rugged individualists who are not sensitive to anything besides the scent of wild game and federal funds. They do get upset when people comment about their pursuit of federal funding though ...

It's very possible to be running 2 stove top burners, microwave, hot water heater, 2 ACs or 2 space heaters, freezer, fridge, electric tools, misc electronics, lights, batt charger.....

I don't need 12kw...but I sure need more than 6kw....though I have thought about waiting till after the new propane cooktop install...the electric cooking is usually the killer.

It's also the way the boat is wired...like many with 2 ACs on one 30 amp circuit...if I split that up it would help but is still complicated for the "average crew" to understand load shedding prior to the cb popping. Much of last year I had a space heater on the AC circuit but still drove the crew crazy when I would tie up to a 30 amp and nothing else...having a 50 amp would force me more times to tie into that than just a single 30.

OK. The cooking with AC can definitely add the amps. We routinely use 3 burners plus the oven. I do like cooking with gas. :)

Thanks for all the responses and advice. I currently have a 10 kw and with two air units, ice maker, two refers and a freezer with all the other assorted gadgets, it never bogs down. Based on all the comments with load deferers, power management and new electronic stuff thats way over my head, I am believing that just a bit more KW is better than not enough! I found a Defever with a 12 kw and much newer. I think thats the way we will go. Thanks so much for the advice and more than that, the education. Great forum!:thumb:

psneeld: I have to ask, what are you running on your boat that you need 12KW or more?

Exactly

I do not live aboard my boat, but I do spend quite a few days and nights aboard dockside. During that time I do everything I would do if I lived aboard. I wash my clothes, shower, cook, etc...

Except for air conditioning, which I do not have I have an all electric boat. Stove, oven, water heater, etc.. My heat is diesel though, but I do have electric heat as well and I have run the boat on that, all winter long.

With my boat I do have to manage loads when on a single 30 amp shore power, if and only if I'm running the electric heat, or if we've been running without shore power since my battery charger is programmed to max out at 20 amps AC input.

If I connect the 50 amp cord I've never tripped the shore power breakers, and I've tried. The reason I've tried is that I leave the boat heated by the built in electric heaters all winter to keep mold away. I set the thermostats at 45 degrees which works great.

I have a 12 KW NL along with 54,000 btu of AC/heat. When the gen is running to keep it properly loaded, I pretty much run everything on the boat. As the gen usually runs at cooking times, 1 to 2 hours a day of gen time will usually keep the batteries in a good range of charge. Once you start trawler style cruising monitoring your battery condition becomes critical

Back
Top Bottom