Potable water testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bilgewater

Vessel Name
Sunset Lady
Vessel Make
1975 Chris Craft 35 Aft Cabin
We have a 100 gallon glass/ply conformal water tank on the Lady J. We "shocked" the tank and lines overnight with bleach, drained, and refilled twice. The First Mate still detects an odor (not bleach) from the water. We've been using the water for washing and rinsing, but drink from bottled water. Has anyone tested their water for purity? A filter system is in future, but I'd like to know where we stand on quality right now. I don't have a problem with "city" water from any marina. Just need a starting reference. Any ideas on testing kits? Where to get and what cost? Thanks.

For less than the price of a valid test for the chemicals that are probably the source of the aroma you can install a common household type charcoal filter and eliminate that chemical and many others.

Attachments

• Pur Faucet Filter.jpg
    Pur Faucet Filter.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 245
We have a 100 gallon glass/ply conformal water tank on the Lady J. We "shocked" the tank and lines overnight with bleach, drained, and refilled twice. The First Mate still detects an odor (not bleach) from the water. We've been using the water for washing and rinsing, but drink from bottled water. Has anyone tested their water for purity? A filter system is in future, but I'd like to know where we stand on quality right now. I don't have a problem with "city" water from any marina. Just need a starting reference. Any ideas on testing kits? Where to get and what cost? Thanks.

Check places that sell water softeners, etc....they often test as they are the ones that with the test certify occupancy in places that require a water test when buying a home.

Not sure that the basic test ($35-$50) will cover everything...just that it's safe enough for a house to be sold.

It sounds like the OP needs to test for volatile organics like styrene and I don't think the Culligan man does that. At least not for that price.

But if the smell didn't exist before the shocking experience, it is probably just a dead mouse or something.

Any environmental testing laboratory (check your phone book) can test your water for National EPA Drinking Water Standards. That's what I did with my aluminum tanks. They can test for volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and bacteria common to drinking water. Cost shouldn't exceed $135.

Any environmental testing laboratory (check your phone book) can test your water for National EPA Drinking Water Standards. That's what I did with my aluminum tanks. They can test for volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and bacteria common to drinking water. Cost shouldn't exceed $135.

:thumb: :thumb:

I have an account with a local testing lab and with my volume discount get them done for about $85-95/each(can't remember) Two day turn around from dropping off the sample till I receive results. They don't miss much :)

RickB; But if the smell didn't exist before the shocking experience said:
YIKES, how would a mouse get electrocuted while inside the tank? :eek:....Arctic Traveller

... it is probably just a dead mouse or something.
Rural folk here, dependant on tank water, say without a dead pigeon or possum inside the tank the water has no flavor.:eek:

Bilgewater,

Just my opinion from growing up in Conneaut, (between Cleveland and Buffalo) the [FONT=&quot]Algae [/FONT]Bloom would always get pretty nasty this time of year, particularly in shallow Erie. It would be in all the City water. You would not notice it so much from that tap because of the clorination, but let it sit for awhile and would start to smell rather distasteful. They always claimed it was safe to drink, and never heard of anyone getting sick from drinking it promptly that day.
For what it's worth.

Back
Top Bottom