anchor size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grateful

Vessel Name
grateful
Vessel Make
1979 34' mainship trawler
Could some tell me what size anchor I need for 79 main ship trawler

Depends on the composition of the bottom you'll be anchoring in. 20kg would be a good weight to shoot for, and I'd look at the Manson/Rocna for all purpose use, and Danforth/Fortress for great holding in sand.

Like Pau Hana said lots of variables.

Bigger is better in my book. But that is just me. Up here in Alaska I have set a hook in places some people would think unwise. I run a large anchor 45#. But I have a hydraulic wench.

First rule is no bigger than your anchor puller can handle. Especially if it is your brother in law.:rofl:

SD

Attachments

• trendtimes_2274_26063044220.jpg
    trendtimes_2274_26063044220.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 146
First rule is no bigger than your anchor puller can handle. Especially if it is your brother in law.:rofl:

SD

My middle son leaves for the Air Force in December. I either fix the windless or get an anchor small enough for my 13 year old to handle :D

Could some tell me what size anchor I need for 79 main ship trawler

I operated in the British and US Virgins for several years as master of a 78' charter sailing yacht. In most, if not all the anchorages we visited, the Lewmar Claw anchor did yeoman's work for us. We had a 50kg Claw on 360' of 1/2" chain, and typically anchored with 5:1 scope. For a 34' trawler I would think a 20kg Claw on 3/8" or even 5/16" chain would do nicely. I suggest whichever anchor/rode combination you use, exercise caution that you drop your hook on sand rather than coral. Clarity of water in the Virgins makes doing so quite easy in most cases. The only time we drug was some years ago when I inadvertently anchored amongst coral heads off Honeymoon Bay, Water Island--near St. Thomas. Tricky bottom there, as I'm sure you're aware. Good luck!

Here is a pneumatic wench:

Hey Mr Rick good one. :blush:

what do you want from a displaced Newfie.

A bait live well
Or is it where do you live.

The English language.:banghead:

I better get a better dictionary.:facepalm:

Here is a pneumatic wench:

My favorite was Elvira with the deep plunge neck line and a slit up the leg. :blush: Did I just out and age myself again? ;)

According to most of the calculations the Eagle should have a 100+ lbs anchor and 250+ chain. However the electric winch is having trouble with a 70 lb anchor with all chain rode. So the wench/winch maybe the limiting factor. :D

The development of lighter but quicker setting anchors mean that it is no longer necessary to have over-large anchors, especially with all chain rode. My 34 footer is totally happy with a 22kg (49lb) Super Sarca, which is one of this type of multi-bottom capable anchor, usually with a roll bar arrangement to help ensure quick and reliable setting. In your part of the world, Sarcas are still a bit hard to get, so I'd go with the Rocna/Manson Boss or Supreme recommendation mentioned above by Pau Hana, if you can't source a Sarca, (Super or Excel).
After all, the main function of the anchor is to set well, set deep, and fix the end of the rode. The setting quickly and deeply being the operative functions. The absolute weight is relevant in assisting setting only so far. After all, the force needed to pull two anchors along a flat and unyielding bottom, one heavy, one lighter, is not that much - they would just skid. Its the seabed penetration quickly and reliably you are after, and evidence is these later generation anchors do that better than most.

Pick the right design for the bottom you most commonly find .... no not your wife's.
Then check the resources for recommend size for you vessel, then ignore that advice and buy the biggest, heaviest anchor you can handle. You'll sleep better

anchor

Thanks Marlin that is exactly what I was looking for.:thumb: installing a windlass, and 250' chain rode, anchor next

Thanks everyone for all the advice, probably use a rocca for main anchor and fortress for secondary, seeing how I will be traveling between the VI, south and westward to Panama
Having a trawler is new experience for me. I have been an a sailboat for last 8 yrs

AS the biggest limit is usually an undersized windlass,
by simply using a line to the crown most large robust anchors can be recovered with ease.

Also takes the guesswork out of anchoring for the folks that arrive after you set.

Here is a boat in SE Alaska that probably has an anchor "big enough". Before you say "ridiculous" consider the fact that he lives on the beach someplace far from town and his anchor doubles as a mooring buoy. At times it blows well over 60 knots in the winter. It's very likely he actually needs this anchor and it's 500lbs.

Attachments

• DSCF0759 copy.jpg
    DSCF0759 copy.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 138
Back
Top Bottom