Favorite Anchorages (not rivers)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chandeleur island, South of Mississippi.
img_171902_0_cf775cd2f59a210463477a53d894e5a5.jpg

Along the NW coast of BC in-between the Inside Passage to Alaska and Hecate Straight (ocean) lies a great area that is seldom traveled. At the bottom of Principe Channel on the east side is Mockton Inlet. We anchored there on our trip south and took these pictures.
We had experienced a 50 knot gale the night before in the north arm of Patterson Inlet (frequently called Princess Diana inlet) so Mockton Inlet seemed like heaven. The 4th, 5th and 6th pics were taken at anchor. The bottom photo is leaving the inlet. The bottom where we anchored was not deep, shallow, irregular or otherwise undesirable. A good anchorage too as well as a pretty one.

Attachments

• DSCF0377 copy.jpg
    DSCF0377 copy.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCF0380 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0380 copy 2.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCF0381 copy.jpg
    DSCF0381 copy.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF0382 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0382 copy 2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCF0383 copy.jpg
    DSCF0383 copy.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCF0378 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0378 copy 2.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCF0386 copy 4.jpg
    DSCF0386 copy 4.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCF0376 copy.jpg
    DSCF0376 copy.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Chandeleur island, South of Mississippi.
img_171974_0_cf775cd2f59a210463477a53d894e5a5.jpg

There is no place quite like the Chandeleurs. I anchored out there near Middle Ground. A frigate bird rookery was nearby in the marsh grass. I will have to say when you are alone out there it's pretty eerie.:eek:Great place and great fishing.:thumb:

Smiths Creek, Broken Bay (20nm north of Sydney)

Attachments

• DSC_1322.jpg
    DSC_1322.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 69
explore-icons-freycinet-wineglass-bay.jpg

Wineglass Bay, Tasmania, Australia. Been there, but not on my own boat...that's unfinished business....

However, this idyllic anchorage, actually in a small extinct crater on the edge of Lake Taupo, which is one humungous volcanic crater, is a place I have personally anchored. Surrounded by virgin native bush - fabulous, and only accessible by boat.
Trouble posting actual pic, so here's the link - click on Satellite view...
http://www.zoomin.co.nz/nz/taupo/kinloch/-boat+harbour/

Last edited:
Looks like a truly beautiful place Peter. Stunning picture. Dosn't look much like a lake though. I zoomed out a little at a time and was amazed it really is a lake and looking like it's in New Zealand. Is that island just no of NZ Tasmania? Must be.
One thing I love about the computer is seeing more of the world and meeting people from far away places. Thanks

Went back. Now I see Taz below Melbourne. Looks like a lot of big water down there.

Last edited:
This is (another) destination my wife is keen to visit. Her nickname is G.
It also calls for the bigger boat. It is the Maldives.

Attachments

• Eriyadhoo.jpg
    Eriyadhoo.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 238
Ever thought of a bigger boat? :D

explore-icons-freycinet-wineglass-bay.jpg

Wineglass Bay, Tasmania, Australia. Been there, but not on my own boat...that's unfinished business....

However, this idyllic anchorage, actually in a small extinct crater on the edge of Lake Taupo, which is one humungous volcanic crater, is a place I have personally anchored. Surrounded by virgin native bush - fabulous, and only accessible by boat.
Trouble posting actual pic, so here's the link - click on Satellite view...
Map of Boat Harbour, Kinloch, Taupo :: ZoomIn

You anchored there! OK, that's impressive.I managed the walk.

Snow Island, Quahog Bay, Maine

There are many beautiful anchorages in Maine that would make anyone's list of favorites. But my all time favorite is Snow Island, Quahog Bay in East Harpswell, Maine.

You are surrounded by Osprey nests and fishing Ospreys. mussels are plentiful at low tide, lobstermen will sell you their catch at the dock price right at your transom, .....

David

Attachments

• Stray Cat from islet.jpg
    Stray Cat from islet.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 65
Wineglass Bay, in Tasmania, the southern island state across Bass Strait (with its formidable rough sea reputation) is open to the ocean.
Andy,I walked in there too, on a rest day during a cycle ride from Launceston to Hobart. Beautiful, unspoilt, remote, wildlife, pristine Tassie. We visited Maria Island too.
I`d love to anchor in Wineglass Bay. We all would. Tough getting there though.

Last edited:
Wineglass was where my hydraulic pump bearing failed after a perfect passage across Bass Strait from Eden last February.
Luckily there were other boats around to give us a hand getting the 80lb anchor and 1/2" chain back on board before a run under emergency tiller to Triabunna for repairs.
Relying on one hydraulic pump for anchor, steering and davits when cruising in remote areas is still a topic for lively discussion on board.

Last edited:
I was going to say that Von Donop Inlet (Cortes Island, Desolation Sound) was my favourite, but every cove has its charm, and every cruise brings a new favourite spot for the the summer. But for now, this is Von Donop Inlet.

Attachments

• DSC_6685.jpg
    DSC_6685.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 54
Smuggler Cove, Sunshine Coast, BC is pretty special even in summer when you don't have it to yourself.

Attachments

• IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 72

Attachments

• traveller2.jpg
    traveller2.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Directly across from the Pack Creek bear viewing area at the North end of Admrialty Island, South of Juneau Alaska.
Beautiful area and a terrific photo! I've been there.

Attachments

• IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 66

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom