View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #16
CaptTom
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Sorry to dredge up an old post, but I wanted to publicly thank Chip and add closure for any poor sap who needs this thread in the future.

I wrestled the oversized filters out after removing the mounting bracket bolts and gently prying it out at an angle, bending all the fuel lines attached a little in the process. I equally gently pushed it back in place and bolted it back on. The Donaldson filters spun right on, only one needed a little jiggling to get the right angle.

I now have new elements in the Racors, four new engine-mounted filters, and the vacuum gauges on top of the Racors so I can keep an eye on things. One last loose end is to order some spare filters (now that I'm confident I can get them off and on.)

I also learned that sometimes the engine will stop with the fuel pump cam at the top, and then the manual pump lever doesn't pump anything, so you can't bleed the air out until you bump the engine a little. Thanks to a passing mechanic at the marina for that little tidbit of knowledge!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote