Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Eyee Me Mattie

It's pretty obvious your gal AXE is one in ten thousand and it sure looks like your girl Flic is one in a Million! Heck... that tool belt and the size of that adjustable end wrench she’s carrying on her waist whilst fully straddling over the AXE keel-beam says a thousand good/fun words. I’ve a question for ya! How’d ya ever teach Flic to hold such sturdy power packs with their rods (like that the drill and bit) so perfectly vertically and at full attention for long periods of drilling... by using two hands at once, no less?? LOL LOL LOL ... Please, don’t answer that question in public!! :lol: :dance:

Get it on me Mate / Matt – You’ve got it going!! :thumb:

WOW - I can almost imagine her gliding through the water now.

And let me say - I think you really have a couple of winners there. Both of your girls are definite keepers. Flic and the AXE.

Thanks mate! ... Yeah Im very lucky to have a supportive girl for sure. Its a fine balance and without one there certainly wouldnt be the other! :rofl: Happy wife happy life and all that :dance:

Thanks again for your support and for following my thread mate! :thumb:

Eyee Me Mattie

It's pretty obvious your gal AXE is one in ten thousand and it sure looks like your girl Flic is one in a Million! Heck... that tool belt and the size of that adjustable end wrench she’s carrying on her waist whilst fully straddling over the AXE keel-beam says a thousand good/fun words. I’ve a question for ya! How’d ya ever teach Flic to hold such sturdy power packs with their rods (like that the drill and bit) so perfectly vertically and at full attention for long periods of drilling... by using two hands at once, no less?? LOL LOL LOL ... Please, don’t answer that question in public!! :lol: :dance:

Get it on me Mate / Matt – You’ve got it going!! :thumb:

Arrgh Art meee Mateyyyy!!!

Yeah i sure am a lucky fella hey!:dance:

I'll leave the rest of your comment up to your imagination but lest just say, Flic doesnt limp when she walks becasue she has a sore foot :rofl::lol:

Thanks again for your support mate! :thumb: i really do appreciate your input

hello hendo KING OF PLYWOOD

hi hendo, i am still searching for the holy grail. i travelled to bundy yesterday [800k return trip] to look at cruiser, 39ft of plywood that had been left out in the rain ! it was on the dry getting the hull painted and bottom antifouled. when i got inside and into the bow i could rub the first layer of ply away with my fingers. i tried in around the motor and the same .comes of like horse hair out of an old mattress.the salesman said i can pour epoxy on it to fix it. the hull is dynal sheathed.i think is best to stay away.what your thoughts?[also i could feel moisture without a moisture meter] last week i looked at aconverted prawn trawler that had stainless plates screwed on the inside of the ribs [some were "cracked"] the bilge was used to store any old oil,grease,and leftover vomit.the bilge pump worked very well as the only leak i could see squirted water at about a litre a minute. this boat buying process is very disheartening. both boats are 50-60k. i've had my say, i feel better, hows your boat going? thanks tom

Hi all,
Sorry ive not been around here updating my threads etc. My phone took a crap when it downloaded the iO6 update. The update fried the bluetooth and wireless chipset in the iPhone causing me to loose those two conections, meaning i have to actually sit at my PC in the study than sit on the couch with my iPhone and contribute on here.

hi hendo, i am still searching for the holy grail. i travelled to bundy yesterday [800k return trip] to look at cruiser, 39ft of plywood that had been left out in the rain ! it was on the dry getting the hull painted and bottom antifouled. when i got inside and into the bow i could rub the first layer of ply away with my fingers. i tried in around the motor and the same .comes of like horse hair out of an old mattress.the salesman said i can pour epoxy on it to fix it. the hull is dynal sheathed.i think is best to stay away.what your thoughts?[also i could feel moisture without a moisture meter] last week i looked at aconverted prawn trawler that had stainless plates screwed on the inside of the ribs [some were "cracked"] the bilge was used to store any old oil,grease,and leftover vomit.the bilge pump worked very well as the only leak i could see squirted water at about a litre a minute. this boat buying process is very disheartening. both boats are 50-60k. i've had my say, i feel better, hows your boat going? thanks tom

Hi Tommo!
Thanks for your message mate!
i'll systematically go through your email and try provide my advice on what youve raised.

Bundy trip! ... Wow thats a long way to go only to discover that shes in that way! ... Did the owner elude to that or provide any pics prior to headingup there? I'd be pissed if i drove up and found that without first being told. Mind you. all would not be lost as i'd be happy as a pig in sh!t at the Bundy Rum distillery! :rofl::thumb:

From what ive found and learnt, Freshwater is the death of timber so pay real close attention to one that has been on the hard for a while.

1.) Never listen to a boat salesman! ... especially one that sells secondhand boats. They are full of sh!t, dont care about you and only have eyes on the coin!. Just like used car salesmen ... :mad::mad::mad:

2.) Whilst you could pour epoxy in there as a repair, and without seeing the pics or knowing your skill level i'd say walk away mate. Its not as easy as just putting epoxy in there. If it is why arent they doing it? .. heck, theyve gone to the effort of pulling it, painting it and antifouling it, why not just epoxy there as well. I know why. Cause he's full of sh!t and knows that they'll be wasting their time and money so thank them for saving you money and walk away! :D

A bit of FYI for ya: The ply on AXE wasnt as bad as the one you looked at and i still had to replace it.

One thing the salesman neglected to tell you about epoxy is that it wont stick to an oily surface or substrate. Whilst it may possibly penitrate in the bow, the bilge will not be repairable that way. To be honest, once engine oil is in the timber, you'll be pushing sh!t up hill to get it out!

Moisture is another issue, especially if you can feel it haha:rofl: ... Whilst i am all for rebuilding timber boats over buying plastic ones, this girl is gone mate. Theres no telling what these owners have done if they are happily painting her to sell. Dynell is a type of cotton cloth. dont mix it up with fibreglass cloths like bi-axel or alike. It is real old technology and should be avoided. You will find the only thing holding that hull together is the dynell and a few crapped out nails.

In relation to the prawn trawler. Dont be disheartened by a couple of broken ribs if that all that is wrong with her. Ribs can be fixed. some easier than others.

I looked around for a completed timber boat for a long long time with no success. Whilst some were nice, at the end of the day i didnt trust the work that was done. It may well have been fine but at the end of the day i needed to be happy with it and the only way is to do it myself. Its harder and more expensive but i know what ive done, how i did it and how to fix it if i did it wrong.

When i was a house carpenter and builder i saw it all the time with poor house renovations. Someone buys a newley renovated house and finds that a couple of tiles keep falling off and wont stick. next thing they are having their whole bathroom ripped out because the waterproofing wasnt done right causing the shower to leak.

Which boat is "The Perfect One" ... not sure there really is such a thing. AXE will never be finished or perfect but i'll come bloody close!

Speaking of AXE, Not much has been done on her since my last update. Weather has been sh!tfull so ive just been chillin on the lounge with Flic.

I hope ive helped but incase ive left you with more answers than questions give me a call :thumb:

Last edited:
Hendo good to see you are still around.
Hope all is going well.
TomTom,
Qld fishing brokerage is a good web site to visit for ex trawlers. It would even be worth ringing Kev Baker the owner/broker to see what is available. Top bloke and he has his finger on the pulse of the Qld. fishing industry.
Home
Cheers
Benn

Hendo good to see you are still around.
Hope all is going well.
TomTom,
Qld fishing brokerage is a good web site to visit for ex trawlers. It would even be worth ringing Kev Baker the owner/broker to see what is available. Top bloke and he has his finger on the pulse of the Qld. fishing industry.
Home
Cheers
Benn

Hi Benn,
Yeah cheers mate. Still ticking along :thumb:

@ Tom - If the bloke Benn reccommended is half as good as the bloke he reccommended to me for my Paragon (Wes Jordan from Marine Transmission) then itd pay to give him a call. Whilst i'm super sceptical of salesmen and avoid them like nothing else, if Benn says he's a goer, then he's probably alright ...

Greetings,
Sweeet! "Chillin on the lounge with Flic" eh?? Um, er....ah, suure you are...
YesMinisterReaction61.gif

TomTom,
You wrote ... "the hull is dynal sheathed" .
Well if it's what I think it is you can't sand it. I did an ultralight prop w it and had to throw the prop away. It was said to be very abrasion resistant. Sure was. It just fuzzed up when I tried to sand it smooth. It may be "Dynel" ???

Prawn trawler? Ever heard the "wood expert" joke?
tomtom, that boat has to be a walk, better still, a run. Fibreglass does avoid some pitfalls.

Hi all.

Some of you know that for the last 12 months i have been trying to find out some information on my vessel and trying to learn about her history

well that all changed today and im Soooo excited about what happened that i just had to share. :dance:

Felicity, Liam and I went to the Maritime Day at Fremantle on the weekend. (see my other thread for details)

When i was there i wandered across a stall for the WA Museum.

I got talking to the little old lady that was there manning it and told her about AXE and that during the teardown i had discovered the name ACE.HIGH and the nubering F430 on her hull and who i could go to for some information.

I gave her my email address and today she sent me the following info

Sent: Tuesday, 3 September 2013 9:26 AM
To: Matthew Henderson
Subject: Re: Ship history

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for forwarding the SRO email. We have some information on Ace High for you, as follows:

• Built as ACE.HIGH in 1961 and registered as F.430
  • In 1968 it was renamed ROSS MAJELLA and registered as LFBF.430
  • In 1978 it was renamed MAJELLA and registered as F.167
  • In 1978 it was last surveyed
  • In 1978 it was possibly condemned as the register from Department of Primary Industries stated "To be replaced by My Choice"
That meant that MAJELLA ceased to be a licenced fishing boat and was replaced with another newer boat.

Attached is a copy of the DPI Survey card for the vessel Ace High and a picture of the vessels when called Ross Majella.

That is as much information as we hold about the vessel. I hope that it helps you.

Kind regards,

Maritime History

Yes Minister.
Good sleuthing Matt, and co-operation from Maritime History. Who`d have thought the original name would be close to your own choice?
And good luck with completing the project. It gets finished when it gets finished. With building work, the hard part is getting out of the ground. I reckon getting the hull done is the boat builders equivalent.

Hi all.

Some of you know that for the last 12 months i have been trying to find out some information on my vessel and trying to learn about her history

well that all changed today and im Soooo excited about what happened that i just had to share. :dance:

Felicity, Liam and I went to the Maritime Day at Fremantle on the weekend. (see my other thread for details)

When i was there i wandered across a stall for the WA Museum.

I got talking to the little old lady that was there manning it and told her about AXE and that during the teardown i had discovered the name ACE.HIGH and the nubering F430 on her hull and who i could go to for some information.

I gave her my email address and today she sent me the following info

Sent: Tuesday, 3 September 2013 9:26 AM
To: Matthew Henderson
Subject: Re: Ship history

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for forwarding the SRO email. We have some information on Ace High for you, as follows:

• Built as ACE.HIGH in 1961 and registered as F.430
  • In 1968 it was renamed ROSS MAJELLA and registered as LFBF.430
  • In 1978 it was renamed MAJELLA and registered as F.167
  • In 1978 it was last surveyed
  • In 1978 it was possibly condemned as the register from Department of Primary Industries stated "To be replaced by My Choice"
That meant that MAJELLA ceased to be a licenced fishing boat and was replaced with another newer boat.

Attached is a copy of the DPI Survey card for the vessel Ace High and a picture of the vessels when called Ross Majella.

That is as much information as we hold about the vessel. I hope that it helps you.

Kind regards,

Maritime History

Matt - This made my day! Bet it made your year!! Congrats!!! :thumb: :dance:

Score! Nice having the provenance for the boat available. Perhaps you can include some of it into the refit somehow?

Nice one, Hendo. Good to have the history. I wish I could find out more about mine, but never having been a fishing boat it did not need regular surveys which would be recorded anywhere. Most of us would be in that category I guess. I wonder what one might get out of the Transport Dept where it is registered.

Hi gang,
Well I've been posting here for 1 year now. Sorry I haven't reported in a while and being tardy with my attention to posting on here. I just wanted to pop in and give y'all an update

Progress is going well. Spent a big day today getting stuck into sanding the High strength epoxy glue once and for all. This stuff is like sanding concrete Blaaaa :facepalm:.

We had almost 8 weeks of solid rain so have been unable to do a thing on her. Its kind of ironic really. We had a couple of day of clear skies so I thought, heck, i'll build a roof out of some material I have laying around so it'll dry out and it wouldnt matter if it rained or not and wouldn't ya know it, it hasnt rained since putting it up ... Should have done that 8 weeks ago!

On the technical front, I discovered a little problem. When building the frame before she was rolled over, I failed to take into account a sag in the rear of the keel with the old framework and drive shaft strut removed. Its only now that I have tried to fit the prop and strut that it has come to bite me in the arse because the prop hits the underside of the hull. :blush:

I can fix it as the prop only needs 10mm taken out of the boat so it can spin freely but Im a little worried as to how/if this will affect its performance or handling with the prop being so close to the hull. The sag is a total of 50mm. I've actually had to cut the driveshaft strut down and will need to weld it so it'll fit. Will take pics and show you what I mean later on but that was a disappointing discovery. Too late to lift the sag now so just gotta work with what I've got.

I'm sure there'll be more discoveries like that now that I'm starting to put her together but hey, I've always said I'm no boat builder and not working from any plans other than what's in my head so I can expect it to work out every time!

Now that the shelter is up I should be able to get a good run at it whether it is raining or not.

anywhooo that's about it really. Just been sanding, sanding, sanding

Thanks for your PM's etc and for checking up on me. Sorry again for being slack! ... :thumb:

Last edited:
Matt

You two are baddddd asssss workers. TY for posting again and for reply PM. I'm sure all the unexpecteds you run into will work out in the long run. :thumb:

Get It On! :speed boat:

Art

Good to hear from you Hendo. We have been a little concerned when no word for awhile.

One word of caution. Make certain that there is enough clearance between prop and hull that no erosion of the hull can occur. Others with boat building experience can probably give you a guideline for this. Eric worked for and tested Uniflites. He may have something to add.

Glad you are back.

Know what you mean about the weather Matt. We had a drought here for a while, washed my truck and cured that little problem. Rained that afternoon.

I'm not a boat builder either but there is a formula for how much clearance a wheel has to have from the structure or you get strange noises, vibrations and ultimately damage from clearances that are too close. I'll ask around and see if my boaty friends have the reference.

...On the technical front, I discovered a little problem. When building the frame before she was rolled over, I failed to take into account a sag in the rear of the keel with the old framework and drive shaft strut removed. Its only now that I have tried to fit the prop and strut that it has come to bite me in the arse because the prop hits the underside of the hull. :blush:

I can fix it as the prop only needs 10mm taken out of the boat so it can spin freely but Im a little worried as to how/if this will affect its performance or handling with the prop being so close to the hull. The sag is a total of 50mm. I've actually had to cut the driveshaft strut down and will need to weld it so it'll fit. Will take pics and show you what I mean later on but that was a disappointing discovery. Too late to lift the sag now so just gotta work with what I've got....

I checked a couple references and both said that the clearance between the propeller blade tips and the hull bottom should be at least 15% of the propeller diameter and ideally, 20% or more. Bummer...

Yikes! I thought you had her done and launched.....This was a big project and they never go without a glitch or two showing up. Anyway mate, hope your plan works out but I'm afraid you will loose performance with the notching of the hull. You couldn't just use a longer prop shaft?

britt

Welcome back Hendo. When you have finished with the 8 weeks of rain, send it east, has been dry and we still have some uncontrolled bush fires only rain will extinguish. Another high fire risk day today.
Great to see the 2 of you hard at work!

Hendo, I've been thinking. If that hull has a hook in it you need to fix that before you do anything more. She won't handle worth beans with a hook and will waste fuel. Maybe you should start a thread describing the problem and maybe one of the marine engineers or someone that has had a similar issue that read the forums will offer some assistance

After reading your plan it dawned on me in my younger days I had had an old boat, like your, resurrected from the junk yard that I put back in the water. That thing was solid and ran great but it porpoises and steered weird. Anyway I couldn't figure out the problem so enlisted the expertise of a boat yard and they took five minutes to inform me my hull was hooked and until that was fixed it would not handle properly, At that point I lost interest and gave the boat to a friend who ended up sinking it

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom