choosing the right radar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Erg mooie kotter Obelikx.

Very nice Cutter Obelikx.

Attachments

• de-kotter-obelikx-b.jpg
    de-kotter-obelikx-b.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 133
I believe that Furuno and Lowrance have this system. In this category, Garmin is all touch screen.

I opted away from the touch screen. The finger prints and distraction were enough to rationalize the extra cost away. :)

Erg mooie kotter Obelikx.

Very nice Cutter Obelikx.

Tx for the flowers :)

And the original is even more beautiful than the model you found on the Internet (actually, it stands in the living room of our city home)

As I stated before...you can't go wrong with any of the leading electronics manufacturers but Simrad is my favorite. You're going to love your equipment as they are so intuitive. The only other thing you might want to consider is a Simrad auto pilot. They bought the old Robertson company some years ago and I've always leaned towards Robertson (Norwegian :thumb:)as being the best pilot out there. (MHO of course)

Good Luck with your installation & please let us know what you experience. (Good or bad,)

Tx
Fully agree with your comment about the autopilot; I had to replace my vintage model last year and I m happy with my new Simrad - I didn't mention because its not relevant for the radar question
Hope their other equipment is up to that standard

We are installing a Simrad NSE12 plotter on Blue Sky, plus a Simrad AP28 autopilot. Our Furuno radar, which is relatively new but low powered, will stay aboard but once it dies, or we simply want a better radar, we will probably upgrade to whatever Broadband radar Simrad is offering by that time. Even their current 4G looks impressive, but they are making such big improvements over a relatively short time that waiting can only be positive.

But the biggest reason we went with Simrad (although their reputation of late has been very good) was their structurescan system.

The idea of being able to explore the bottom of various bays, passes, etc. has huge appeal for us. I suppose it could be used for navigation, but since it's effective depth is 100' or so, it is really more an entertainment tool I think.

The NSE12 plotter can even be connected to our saloon TV, allowing folks to watch the vessel's progress on the chart, and/or watch the bottom image slide by, all from the comfort of the saloon settee or chairs. (They can also get a first hand look at when the captain screws up of course...)

My point is that there are many possibilities that you might want to consider as you look at upgrading your radar.

I am looking to replace my electronics (dated Raymarine RL80s and a broken radar). We went to the Miami show looking to choose a radar system and were very disappointed when we asked about the interoperability of the brands. I have installed a NMEA2000 backbone with many of the Maretron products. I am looking to put two/three 15" 3M touch screens at the helm for N2KView and Rosepoint for the chartplotter. I could not find any of the bigger named radars that would do an overlay of the Rosepoint charter. Did I miss understand?

I am looking to replace my electronics (dated Raymarine RL80s and a broken radar). We went to the Miami show looking to choose a radar system and were very disappointed when we asked about the interoperability of the brands. I have installed a NMEA2000 backbone with many of the Maretron products. I am looking to put two/three 15" 3M touch screens at the helm for N2KView and Rosepoint for the chartplotter. I could not find any of the bigger named radars that would do an overlay of the Rosepoint charter. Did I miss understand?

No, you got it right. Radar is still proprietary to each vendor, and I don't expect that will change anytime soon. Also, N2K (NMEA 2000) was never intended to handle radar, and doesn't have the bandwidth to do so. Everyone uses Ethernet not, which is a standard to a certain extent, but each vendor's data formats are different, as well as the way they control things.

Let me know how you like it, I have the CP300i as well but thought it was a bit small to overlay radar on. I was thinking of upgrading to a larger screen. I have a Furuno now on a separate monitor but it is old and when it dies it's not work fixing even if he parts could be had.

I ended up using a separate Si-tex display same size as the SH cp300i and very satisfied with the size & performance, I think you are right about the size being to small to overlay radar on. This way I have a dedicated display for radar & the GPS, after using it I also decided I didn't need to do chart overlay. I'am going with a new VHF from SH so I can add ais to the cp300i at some point.

Back
Top Bottom