Thread: Prairie 29 AC
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
Sortie

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
Donna; Lets see if I can answer your questions. Basically I did draw a straight line for the set tee. Our layout is the galley to the port side, but not along the entire side. Our sink runs port - stdb . There was a overhead storage cabinet which we removed. The original dinette was a U shaped area with a table and storage underneath . This was the area of bad sub flooring. This dinette was replaced with a traditional dinette arraignment. Consequently we lost that storage under the port side decks.

The storage under the set tee is a great addition and the area is separate from the AC, which is yes insulated. Directly below the storage area of our set tee is the location of the gen set, so that area is also insulated.

The best AC is to get the duct work exit as high as possible. We struggled with this, decided that we wanted the clean look as much as possible. Our cabin door was in bad shape, and was replaced with a custom made thick door that provides much better insulation against the heat/cool. Our windows were even in worst shape with lots of leaks. We replaced all windows with tinted window, much tighter fit, resulted in fewer air leaks and no water leaks. We add a heavy gauge privacy screen on the outside windows and heavy drapes with lining to protect against the sun. The results are dramatic in making a cooler area. It worked well and we are pleased.

I agree with Capt. Tom, play with the placement of your temp equipment looking for the right combination. Your right the cooling does not stretch back to the stern as well. However, the new door and the cockpit cover help a lot. The cockpit cover can be left as a shelter or raised as a Bimini cover. Our thru hull fitting was already located in the area near the engine thru hull, just fwd. of the engine near the stdb. stringer.

Hope this helps. Thanks for the kine words regard the result. It ended up being more then I originally thought. We are very pleased and love our trawler.

John & Sue.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20121226_001.jpg   WP_20121226_019.jpg   WP_20121226_003.jpg   WP_20121226_006.jpg  
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote