Lehman SP-185 / TAMD70C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
" OTTER "
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander Europa 40
I just picked up a boat with a Volvo TAMD70C that has low hours but smokes like a destroyer laying a smoke screen at start up. The boat is way over powered with the 270hp Volvo and parts are a real issue, it runs like a watch but the smoke thing really is a issue. I have not started down the road with a good Volvo mechanic but that is in the future.

I have a line on a mid 90's SP-185 Lehman that would be a good candidate to do a rebuild and leave it in my shop until I get the hankering to do the engine swap.

So I guess I have two questions:
1- anybody have a tamd70c and have smoke and part issues?
2- Anybody have a Lehman SP185 and what is the availability or parts for it? and it's reliability

As you may gather the engine swap doesn't scare my off in regards to the amount of work involved, but if I can keep the Volvo running reasonably I would rather do just that. I bought the boat right.. but I don't want to invest in a current tech new motor in a 80's trawler. I tend to be from the school that would rather add a quart of oil in 1500 miles than spend $ 5k for a new motor...

On a side note it REALLY feels great to be back on a trawler vs. the 20kt cruise Sea Ray... I got tired of the muscle T's and polishing the gold chains... not to mention the hair gel

Regards,
HOLLYWOOD

Welcome back, we missed you.

Now sell your gold chains, if you keep the Volvo you will need the cash for parts.

Regards,

I just picked up a boat with a Volvo TAMD70C that has low hours but smokes like a destroyer laying a smoke screen at start up. The boat is way over powered with the 270hp Volvo and parts are a real issue, it runs like a watch but the smoke thing really is a issue. I have not started down the road with a good Volvo mechanic but that is in the future.

I have a line on a mid 90's SP-185 Lehman that would be a good candidate to do a rebuild and leave it in my shop until I get the hankering to do the engine swap.

So I guess I have two questions:
1- anybody have a tamd70c and have smoke and part issues?
2- Anybody have a Lehman SP185 and what is the availability or parts for it? and it's reliability

As you may gather the engine swap doesn't scare my off in regards to the amount of work involved, but if I can keep the Volvo running reasonably I would rather do just that. I bought the boat right.. but I don't want to invest in a current tech new motor in a 80's trawler. I tend to be from the school that would rather add a quart of oil in 1500 miles than spend $ 5k for a new motor...

On a side note it REALLY feels great to be back on a trawler vs. the 20kt cruise Sea Ray... I got tired of the muscle T's and polishing the gold chains... not to mention the hair gel

Regards,
HOLLYWOOD

You're going to miss the 'babes'.

What color smoke???? My best guess would be that you have a fouled injector. Injectors for mechanical diesels generally are not that expensive but who knows with Volvos?

What color smoke???? My best guess would be that you have a fouled injector. Injectors for mechanical diesels generally are not that expensive but who knows with Volvos?

Whitish, greyish, blackish, and a sheen on the water.. My thought were the same.. dribbling injector and unburnt fuel.
Everybody says old Volvo's smoke bad when cold.. less when warm.

HOLLYWOOD

Hi I have a TAMD70C - and was surprised at the smoke on a cold start. However you need to have a carefull look at what you have before spending any money on it. These are very strong engines and give very good service. First test is on a cold start - Set the throttle to full power - go below to the engine room and pull out the cold start button on the injector pump. Now go back to the start button - turn the key and hit the start button - do not use the "preheat". It should kick into life immediately - with a lot of black - then a bit of blue - these things idle with a bit of blue. Most of the start smoke is when the preheat is not working - its filling your intake with neat diesel. If you need help to locate the cold button - let me know.
Do not start on injectors etc till the basics are confirmed. I was scared of mine to start with - but now have the utmost respect for it - it has the affectionate name of " Victoria" All the best

Keith

Back
Top Bottom