Old 07-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #18
ksanders
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
The first picture is something I am considering carrying on board...especially as I travel a tad further offshore every year. Much better than being scared with a bucket...being in the salvage business....they are impressive compared to even the largest electric bilge/sump pumps.

3" Full Trash Pump with 212cc Gas Engine
I have considered the gas trash pump option, and while it certainly has much more capacity than an electric pump, and it'll work when the electrical system is underwater, its just not for us.

The reasons are simple...

That kind of unit takes storage space, space is a premium on any boat, mine included.

It also takes gasoline, which further reduces the available places I could store the unit.

It also takes time to deploy, and effort. I have a difficult time imagining in the middle of the night, taking the time to deploy that unit, with all the other things such as trying to find the source of the flooding, Calling a Mayday, preparing and or considering wether it will be necessary to abandon ship, that would be happening if a high bilge water alarm went off.

My thoughts are if you can throw a switch to activate a reasonable dewatering pump then its something you would actually do in an emergency, even prior to trying to isolate the source of the flooding.
At 95 GPM that should at the very least buy you and your family time.

The trash pump concept is a great idea, its just not for us. We'd probably never deploy it.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote