GPS Spoofing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back in the dark ages, before GPS was invented, our navigation instructor taught us to use as many aids as possible when obtaining a fix. This experiment seems to underscore the importance of that precaution. He who neglects the basics of navigation does so at his peril.

I think GPS spoofing will soon become a "terrorist" crime...the punishment is disappearing to GITMO and the FCC and Homeland security will have drone strike authority if "spoof" stations can be reliably identified.

Not likely to become a big threat as I think it still is a "local" event only... meaning it can only be done at fairly short range or the "system" can detect it and I think your GPS will overcome it (as in "bad" satellite data).

Pick your crew and passengers wisely!!!!:D

I'll bet there are as many or more, equally smart people being employed to either prevent or overcome this issue.

But I'll certainly not forget my Red, Right, Returning origins either.:thumb:

Last edited:
Not likely to become a big threat as I think it still is a "local" event only... meaning it can only be done at fairly short range or the "system" can detect it and I think your GPS will overcome it (as in "bad" satellite data).
:thumb:

Not so sure....from the article " Unlike GPS signal blocking or jamming, spoofing triggers no alarms on the ship’s navigation equipment and is essentially indistinguishable from authentic signals". I agree that it would need to be a fairly local event.

Can we have LORAN-C back? :smitten:

Not so sure....from the article " Unlike GPS signal blocking or jamming, spoofing triggers no alarms on the ship’s navigation equipment and is essentially indistinguishable from authentic signals". I agree that it would need to be a fairly local event.

Can we have LORAN-C back? :smitten:

Look up the definition of the word "or" as it is used in my post.:rolleyes:

I'm sorry I threw my old LORANs away so quickly...and the PO was so proud of how well they worked....over a year after the whole system had been shut down....

It was so good...he didn't even notice...

Doesn't sound like much of a threat yet.....

Spoofing attack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GPS Spoofing[edit]

A GPS spoofing attack attempts to deceive a GPS receiver by broadcasting a slightly more powerful signal than that received from the GPS satellites, structured to resemble a set of normal GPS signals. These spoofed signals, however, are modified in such a way as to cause the receiver to determine its position to be somewhere other than where it actually is, specifically somewhere determined by the attacker. Because GPS systems work by measuring the time it takes for a signal to travel from the satellite to the receiver, a successful spoofing requires that the attacker know precisely where the target is so that the spoofed signal can be structured with the proper signal delays. A GPS spoofing attack begins by broadcasting a slightly more powerful signal that produces the correct position, and then slowly deviates away towards the position desired by the spoofer, because moving too quickly will cause the receiver to lose signal lock altogether, at which point the spoofer works only as a jammer. It has been suggested that the capture of a Lockheed RQ-170 drone aircraft in northeastern Iran in December, 2011, was the result of such an attack.[3] GPS spoofing attacks had been predicted and discussed in the GPS community previously, but no known example of a malicious spoofing attack has yet been confirmed.[4][5][6]A "proof-of-concept" attack was successfully performed in June, 2013, when the luxury yacht "White Rose" was misdirected with spoofed GPS signals from Monaco to the island of Rhodes by a group of mechanical engineering students from the Cockrell School of Engineering at the University of Texas in Austin. The students were aboard the yacht, allowing their spoofing equipment to gradually overpower the signal strengths of the actual GPS constellation satellites, altering the course of the yacht.[7]

It's about time, now when we run aground there is no need to be embarassed, just say "someone spoofed my gps" might work for clumsy docking too.

Look up the definition of the word "or" as it is used in my post.:rolleyes:

I'm sorry I threw my old LORANs away so quickly...and the PO was so proud of how well they worked....over a year after the whole system had been shut down....

It was so good...he didn't even notice...

Look up the definition of "agree" as I used in my post. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Just the sort of things we should be teaching college kids......'let see if we can screw up an $80MM yacht's safety system' (I equate navigational ability with safety). What if they tried to do this in a busy shipping channel? Reminds me of the movie 'War Games' from the '80s (w/ Matthew Broderick).

Just the sort of things we should be teaching college kids.....

This wasn't a college frat prank. This was a planned and coordinated research project. It was with the full knowledge of the owner and crew.

We have a lab here that we have university students working in every week to conduct testing just as these guys did. It's a very real concern.

This wasn't a college frat prank. This was a planned and coordinated research project. It was with the full knowledge of the owner and crew.

We have a lab here that we have university students working in every week to conduct testing just as these guys did. It's a very real concern.

Yes. I understand this experiment wasn't a college prank. I am just worried about the copy-cat syndrome, where other 'unscrupulous' types (i.e. hackers) may learn about this and try to do it themselves. I wonder to what extent experiments like this should be kept confidential or 'low key', until a mitigant to the risk is developed.

Paper chart person here. I use GPS to fine tune my compass course but just can't bring myself to interface it with my autopilot. If my compass and GPS were to have a large argument someday, I would beleive my compass.

Super old school I know...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom