surveyor recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tracie

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Miss Maggie
Vessel Make
1990 Grand Banks 36
Looking for a recommendation for a " good " marine surveyor in the Annapolis area for a FG trawler - thanks

I do pre buys my self buy could not do my own vessel for new hull insurance. I used Stem to Stern out of Middletown. 302-750-6745 butcheye@gmail.com. Butch Immediato SAMS # 1066. Never met before. Got alot more back then I expected for darn good fee. I am impressed. Does not miss anything. You do not want a drive by.

marine surveyors

We bought our trawler in the Annapolis area last fall and had Chris Oliver survey the engine (perkins diesel) and Peter Hartoft survey the vessel. Both were excellent and "user friendly" and they worked well together. They performed a thorough survey and were open to questions when done. Reports were received within days post survey. Highly recommended!:thumb:

Is that common having an engine surveyor and a "rest of boat" surveyor? Do they both go out on a sea trial?

Is that common having an engine surveyor and a "rest of boat" surveyor? Do they both go out on a sea trial?

It depends on your knowledge of engines and/or how much you are willing to risk.

The boat I recently bought has twin Cummins diesels. I did not know much about Cummins and that is somewheres around $60k worth of engines down there. I got an engine survey. My previous boat was 2 years old when I bought it and it had 150 hours on a single Yanmar 4LHA-STP. I did not get an engine survey. I was fairly certain the engine was just fine and did not feel I was taking much risk. I did not get an engine survey. And it did not bite me later. I sold the boat 900 hours later and still running great!

The older slow turning diesels(ie Lehmans) are extremely simple and you can almost tell everything you need to know just by a cold start and if there is any blowby....and also smoke. Oil samples are basically worthless for prepurchase purposes.

Last edited:
I just used East Coast Surveying to do a Monk 36 in Rock Hall Md. He will look over the engine and can take an oil sample if necessary. But if an older boat with an older engine you may be better served to get a more complete engine survey. This is the second time I have used East Coast and have been very happy with both surveys. Contact info:
East Coast Surveying Inc.
Steve Sanders A.M.S.
410-643-0275

Thanks everyone for your suggustions & comments but the search continues. Its becoming a real education. The most important thing we've learned thus far is - buyer beware when dealing with " yacht brokers " - they misrepresent and distort the truth, omit major issues with the boat and show only the good photos - its becoming a great education but we continue to move forward. Its a real problem when you live in Western North Carolina and have a 8 hour drive to the east or gulf coast. Again Thanks

Mine did, and my "general" surveyor was a rare one who does engines as well, it got a bit competitive out there.
Good practice to have both, lot of $ in engines,genset etc. My mechanic was at the haul out too, he checked the running gear, skin fittings, the metal side of things. Some things crossover between hull and mechanical.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom