Nordhavn 47 or 50 ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4712

Guru
Vessel Name
Oliver
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Hello everybody! Me and my dad have been looking around at nordhavn's and have brought our choices down to 47 and 50. We were leaning toward the 50 due to its draft and more hp. But the 47 is an larger more robust with less hp and more draft but we like the big flybridge. Looking for second opinions and people that possibly own one. We will be mainly cruising the Bahamas.

The N47 is my boat of choice but the price is higher than the N50 which is a good boat with good value but generally older than the N47. The 50 does have a bulbous keel which I like with a lower bow than the 47.

My2c if money is not an issue go with the N47 or if trying to budget go with a good N50.

For more information from others more informed than I you can also join the Nordhaven dreamers forum, just go to the Nordhaven site and apply.

The 50's the only model with proper (in Marin's view) backward sloping windows, as opposed to wannabe windows, so Marin would approve of the 50. I'd go for the N47, for reasons you mentioned.
Who's Marin, you say? Do a search for some of his posts. Shouldn't be hard to find one, there are 10,000. Many on this important window issue.

It's hard to go wrong with either boat. :) I have spent time on both the 50 and 47 and the main differences that I noticed are:

The 50 is easier to move from the back of the boat up to the wheelhouse (it's a straight shot, stbd side).

The 47 has a bigger pilothouse, with a table that is very popular when underway.

The bigger engine on the 50 is useful when fighting currents but otherwise is not needed. The 50 does have a slightly higher hull speed (i.e. more efficient).

The bulbous bow on the 50 can pound (loudly) when in a seaway.

Most of the 47's are newer, 24 volt boats with more modern electrical systems (a plus).

I don't think you can actually stand up completely in the engine room (I could be mistaken), but you can in the 47 due to the maintenance strakes.

Good Luck with your search,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah the 47 now looks like the only way to go. We've been eying one in Stuart were going to look at this weekend. Also do you have problems with cooling in the pilot house from the heat or is that not a problem? As Peter said about the 50 I'm sure it gets hot n an sunny day.

Also do you have problems with cooling in the pilot house from the heat or is that not a problem? As Peter said about the 50 I'm sure it gets hot n an sunny day.

No problems cooling the Pilothouse, but it is usually the warmest place (other than the engine room) on the boat. We usually open the tops of both dutch doors when underway and you get a nice breeze. The forward slanted window and overhang of the flybridge generally keeps the sun from heating it up, although you will want window coverings for the aft windows, which do catch solar heat.

Good Luck with your search. Feel free to send questions if you have them.

... We usually open the tops of both dutch doors when underway and you get a nice breeze. The forward slanted window and overhang of the flybridge generally keeps the sun from heating it up, ...

From my experience, Dutch doors and forward-slanted windows are definitely handy.

img_170611_0_e2cb3f2004883a77fbd1cf872f104d65.jpg

I don't know how wedded you are to the Nordy, but if looking new, I would look at a 52' Krogen, if used, I would look at a 58' Krogen. Both less expensive than a comparable Nord, both equally capable, interior much more liveable in my view.

But then, I admit I am biased, so take it for what it is worth.

You need to check them both out in the flesh to figure out which best suits your needs. There are a couple of 47's in Florida as well as a late model 50 with a fly bridge and 24vdc. The fly bridge is where your going to be running the boat from in the Bahamas and is very comfortable even when it's hot like today.

Sent from my iPhone

I don't know how wedded you are to the Nordy, but if looking new, I would look at a 52' Krogen, if used, I would look at a 58' Krogen. Both less expensive than a comparable Nord, both equally capable, interior much more liveable in my view.
+1 :blush:

You need to check them both out in the flesh to figure out which best suits your needs. There are a couple of 47's in Florida as well as a late model 50 with a fly bridge and 24vdc. The fly bridge is where your going to be running the boat from in the Bahamas and is very comfortable even when it's hot like today.

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah, looked it over and decided the 47 would best fit our needs, large fly bridge, 3 staterooms, good sized tender, and many othe positives.

But then, I admit I am biased, so take it for what it is worth.

Yeah we're pretty wedded nordhavn's. I like the nordhavn because its got the forward flybridge.Ive been on some selene's and krogens and the visibility seems limited, which in the Bahamas you need all the visibly you can get. plus most of them are single (except for the 58 )but they dont have an get home engine, atleast none of the others I have seen don't have them. Also I believe the the nordhavn has better passage making abilities ( but that's me being biased). And as far as I've seen it's the largest 47 out there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom