Looking for info on Marine Trader

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lots of boats out there, why get one that has major issues lurking due to bad decks?

"Lots of boats out there, why get one that has major issues lurking due to bad decks?"

PRICE.

The skills to repair the deck are fairly easy to acquire , and the material cost is a few boat bucks.

So someone could easily get a bigger "better?" boat for no bucks and a bunch of work than demanding perfection from the start.

You get what you pay for , but ,....

A $25K boat and $5k of materials and a month of really UGH! work might get a similar boat to a $60K ready to run purchase.

Time or money , your choice.

FF

Other issues are rusted tank tops, saturation of the vertical wood alongside the decks, long lived mold, wiring corroded and on and on. It may be far more than*the decks. Of course some people like working on*long term projects - not me - I like to cruise and spend my time seeing the next turn and port.

"long lived mold,"

Vinegar NOT Clorox, all gone.

Lots of boats out there, yes, maybe. But not many that I like and that are in my budget. I like the sedan look and feel. I feel trapped in a double cabin with limited access to the exterior. Plus, I like to swim and dive a lot so I need a stern that allows me quick and easy access to water.

When you look at the ads, there are a lot more DC than sedans. I've been looking at the market for the last 2-3 years and the sedans are few and far between. Then there is the location of the boat. I live in Montreal (Canada). So getting a boat in Florida or the Gulf coast is not really an option as the transportation costs would be too much.

FF is right about the price factor. All else being equal, this is the deciding factor.

I sent a counter offer to the broker today. We'll see how the owner reacts. For the right price I'll bite the bullet and tackle the job. If not, I'll pass and keep looking. I've learned a while ago that it was ok to fall in love with boating but not so much with a specific boat.

Fotoman..* good luck with the search, whichever way it turns.* You're right about not getting "in love" with one boat.. I speak from experience.* If I hadn't had the first*mate along on the first look at my boat, I'd likely have passed, but sometimes "love" means more than just luvin' the boat!*
smile.gif

"I sent a counter offer to the broker today."

Hopefully the offer was not just verbal.

When you send a 10% check as a refundable deposit the BROKER has his commission in his hands !!!!, and will move hell to convince the owner to sell.

Works on real estate too.

We have a contract and I did send a 10% deposit last week. And we communicate mostly by email so everything is in writing. I can sense the broker is eager to make the deal happen so it's all good.

Yo, Dude I fell in love with a boat myself.
smile.gif
* Nuf said. I had to just about build a new boat.
evileye.gif
If you go to the PMM site and check out my profile you will see some of the work I had to do. Talk about repairing wood rot.
hmm.gif
* It has taken 5 years to get her close to completion. You said you were going to take a class on Fiberglass. You would probubly do better hiring a FG man and work with him for a couple of hours. You will learn just as much as any class would teach and have some work done ta boot.* It's not rocket science. Just a dirty job.
bleh.gif

By the way, if you use it as you work on it.**Nothing ever gets done. But a least you*have water moving under her keel.*

Thanks for the comment skipperdude. I went on the PMM site but could not see how to find a user's profile. Do you have a direct link?

Go to message boards General discussion, under rino linings *click on my name
SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 10th of December 2009 11:59:25 AM

Ok, when you say you rebuilt a boat, you meant exactly that! Nice job. Hope you are starting to enjoy it a bit. You deserve it.

Thanks,
* She is one of a kind. Would I do It again?* I dunno* I love working on her Carpentry, Fiberglass, 12 volt*Electrical, Plumbing, hydraulics.*I put her together for where and when I use her. She is Perfect for the Alaskan waters of Prince William Sound. Great for 2 or 3 guys But I solo a lot. What I now have is a new boat. Every system on her is new or rebuilt. From the lights on the tower to the thru hulls I know every inch of her and the big part,**how to effect repair. I did things mostly out of pocket. i.e. when I could afford the supplies. I couldn't count the hours spent. *ebay is a great resource.* As well as Home depot and Lowes.
If you do take on the project. Figgure how many hours the job will take convert that to days then multiply by a factor of 10 that should put you close. It's a labor of love for sure.
SD

Well, this is it. Got news from the broker this morning. The owner came back with a final counter offer. We were $2,000 apart. I said no deal. Given all the issues with this boat, I figured it had to be a real deal for me to get into the project. I probably saved myself a lot of trouble anyway.

Yes, lots of boat out there. Now if I could just find the one I'm looking for!

-- Edited by Fotoman on Friday 11th of December 2009 12:11:04 PM

Your earlier comment about where you are located. I wouldn't let that stand in your way to much. *If you can get the right price.* A sound hull and motor That needs some cosmetics.** Someone to crew with you. *South Florida Is said to have some great deals. *Refrence FF.* Cash talks.***Imagine the journey home. I would sign on for at least one leg of the trip.
SD

Cant believe someone would let a persepctive buyer walk away over 2 grand in this economy. Don't be surprised ifyour broker calls you back.!

Baker wrote:

Cant believe someone would let a persepctive buyer walk away over 2 grand in this economy. Don't be surprised ifyour broker calls you back.!
I was surprised too. But I have to say I negociated pretty hard so I guess the owner*reached his limit. I'm guessing he thinks he can get a few more bucks in the Spring IF he finds a buyer ready to spend the next 2-3 years renovating the boat. Not many people are ready to undertake such a project and the fact the boat has been on the market since last Spring only proves my point... He should have jumped on the offer and get it over it before Christmas. We'll see if he calls back next week. Meanwhile I found a couple of other interesting boats further south. To be continued!

Fotoman wrote:

I'm guessing he thinks he can get a few more bucks in the Spring

He must have free moorage, no insurance, *and plan to do zero maintenance. If you can wait till Summer you may be able to get it for far less than you have already offered.

It is almost funny to watch some of these sales. I don't know how many times I have seen an owner turn down a very good early offer only to pay moorage and maintenance for the next year or two*only to sell the boat for about half the original offer.

Totally agree RickB!!!

John* --* My answer to the $2K turn down : We who own boats are not normally rational. Of course the same could be said for owners of Bonanzas, polo ponies and ski condos

-- Edited by sunchaser on Sunday 13th of December 2009 02:23:52 PM

Well, we finally closed the deal! I offered $1,000 more this morning and the broker came back with a positive answer. I now have a boat.
smile.gif

Congrats! I remember the feeling
smile.gif
I encourage you to get her safe, then alternate between work and play. I tend to enjoy the maintenance more than play sometimes. Turns out the crew doesn't always share my passion.

Attachments

• dscf2368.jpg
    dscf2368.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 145
Congrats!!! I hope you can make her all you want her to be!!!!

Any questions... here are good places

I spent six years restoring my Marine Trader 34 (Recored the decks, recored much of the house, rebuilt many of the rotted out cabinets, replaced the fuel tanks, rewired much of the boat, etc. etc.) It has been in the water two years now and I am still working on it, hope to finish it before I die LOL

There's a great group on Yahoo dedicated to CHB's that are the same boat, plenty of really smart people there who can help.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to help. My phone number is on my company website at Moose WorldWide Digital - experts in global software / web development services for the digital interactive market

Best Regards and Good Luck!

Alan

I spent six years restoring my Marine Trader 34 (Recored the decks, recored much of the house, rebuilt many of the rotted out cabinets, replaced the fuel tanks, rewired much of the boat, etc. etc.) It has been in the water two years now and I am still working on it, hope to finish it before I die LOL

There's a great group on Yahoo dedicated to CHB's that are the same boat, plenty of really smart people there who can help.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to help. My phone number is on my company website at Moose WorldWide Digital - experts in global software / web development services for the digital interactive market

Best Regards and Good Luck!

Alan

I've spent the last 20 years restoring my MT34 and only have about 20 more years to go.

Welcome to the madness. Here, have some Kool-Aid.

I've spent the last 20 years restoring my MT34 and only have about 20 more years to go.

Hello Al
We meet on yet another forum! Eventually, I'll have built a completely new boat except for the hull, and the Lehman, and then I can start at the beginning again.

The nice thing is that there isn't one inch of the boat I do not know by heart.

The bad thing is, when I go to sell it, people will go "Oh, Marine Trader? That's WAY too much money. What about this one selling for 1/3 of what you are asking?"

Alan

Hello Al
We meet on yet another forum! Eventually, I'll have built a completely new boat except for the hull, and the Lehman, and then I can start at the beginning again.

The nice thing is that there isn't one inch of the boat I do not know by heart.

The bad thing is, when I go to sell it, people will go "Oh, Marine Trader? That's WAY too much money. What about this one selling for 1/3 of what you are asking?"

Alan

Other Al,

Small world! But I wouldn't want to paint it.

Allen

Haha. I drank the Kool Aid three years ago. My 1984 43' MT has a beautiful hull and interior teak. Luckily the PO replaced all the window. It took me a full season to track down all the little leaks but eventually got it done. Surprisingly The head liners are not stained or discolored anywhere. Most of the leaks were around windows and some paneling had to be replace. The teak/holly floring is lovely. For her age she looks great and we entertain 12 or more people at a time on our spacious sun deck. I have made many repairs/improvements to plumbing and electrical systems and the current (and largest) project this winter is all new cutlass bearings and SS prop shafts/couplings. Hoping this summer will be mostly fun and games and less work.

Most of the leaks were around windows and some paneling had to be replace.

Ditto, just replaced some wood and cleaned up one of my windows. Much more to do over time...:whistling:

Back
Top Bottom