SEMS Vinyl paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Restitution

Vessel Name
"Restitution"
Vessel Make
38' Californian
We just purchased four new white deck chairs from West Marine. Normally $269 ea, purchased at grand opening Portland store for $149 ea.

I have ordered stencils to match the boat name. I want to Vinyl paint the name on the seats. My initial thought was to the back of the chairs, where it gets absolutely no wear. But now I'm thinking on the front of the chair, where a person's back leans on. It will look very nice.

Now I have used vinyl paint on a car dash and side boards, it is superb. I have never used it on a "wear" surface. SEMS makes a "Marine Vinyl paint. have any of you used vinyl paint on your boats and to what effect? I read on google that "sunblocker" causes it to smear. I can't imagine. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Like you I have used SEMS on dash, vinyl door and trim panels and auto carpet on collector cars with good results. One of our club members tried it on a headrest, it was fine for a short while but didn't stand up to the wear. I've have not seen a marine version, not to say it doesn't exist.

What do the directions say about use? Maybe the seat back may be a good place to start.

I just bought a bomb can of black the other day, $11 and change. I suppose the marine version is $25 dollars a can. :facepalm:
LB

I used a lot of vinyl paint in the 70s. Brand "Boat Coat". They also used it on aircraft. Vinyl has very little build .. Is very "thin".

I used the Boat Coat copper high performance bottom paint too.

It held up well.

I don't think it will have the combination of flexibility and adhesion necessary for the backs of chairs unless the surface is solid like plastic or wood.

We just purchased four new white deck chairs from West Marine. Normally $269 ea, purchased at grand opening Portland store for $149 ea.

I have ordered stencils to match the boat name. I want to Vinyl paint the name on the seats. My initial thought was to the back of the chairs, where it gets absolutely no wear. But now I'm thinking on the front of the chair, where a person's back leans on. It will look very nice.

Now I have used vinyl paint on a car dash and side boards, it is superb. I have never used it on a "wear" surface. SEMS makes a "Marine Vinyl paint. have any of you used vinyl paint on your boats and to what effect? I read on google that "sunblocker" causes it to smear. I can't imagine. Thoughts?

Just a thought...how about inflatable dingy paint?

SEM vinyl paint is great. Painted my helm seat (tan over blue) 20 years ago and it's still like the day I put it on. Go for it

Back
Top Bottom