Europa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gonesailing13

Vessel Name
Graceful
Vessel Make
Marine Trader
We've been live aboard sailors for five years. We moved back to land three years ago and are now thinking about getting back on the water. Not knowing alot about trawlers I wanted to ask a few questions. We were looking at a older Europa Sedan. Like the looks of it and more important is my wife likes the room. My question is I never heard of the brand of boat. Any insight, good or bad would be highly appreciated.Also anyone tell me how many hours on an engine is too many ? Being a sailor our diesel had only 600hrs after ten years. Not sure if 2000+ is high or not.

I doubt if "Europa" is the make of the boat. It is a model designation used by Grand Banks and others.

The question of how many hours is too many depends on the engines, the boat and how it was used. Engines on trawlers run at displacement speed and below can last 10,000 hours. But if you have a fast trawler with a high output engine or engines, and you operate it near its maximum speed then 2,000 hours might be a lot.

David

"Europa" is a name given to a few brands and refers to a style. A Europa usually has its owner's stateroom in the bow (V-birth), covered side decks and a larger covered cockpit aft.

My avatar is a Europa design (Island Gypsy 36) Giggitoni`s Grand Banks is not, and has an aft cabin.
Typically, trawlers operate at hull speed, run engines at moderate speed which are long lived in hours and years, often reaching their end due to peripherals failing rather than the engine itself.The common Ford Lehman 6.2L engine is often operated around 1600rpm, for hull speed, economy, range, and due respect for aging machinery.

We've been live aboard sailors for five years. We moved back to land three years ago and are now thinking about getting back on the water. Not knowing alot about trawlers I wanted to ask a few questions. We were looking at a older Europa Sedan. Like the looks of it and more important is my wife likes the room. My question is I never heard of the brand of boat. Any insight, good or bad would be highly appreciated.Also anyone tell me how many hours on an engine is too many ? Being a sailor our diesel had only 600hrs after ten years. Not sure if 2000+ is high or not.

I have never heard of a brand of boat called "Europa", our boat is a 1985 Pt38 Sedan (Europa) built by Cheer Men. Check out our website, link in our signature. We love this style and our boat........:thumb::thumb::thumb:

As all boats are a compromise you give and you get. The Europa style trades off the large aft master stateroom and head. According to how large the boat is there could be one or two heads, could be a V-berth or a queen sized berth in the bow, could be a second smaller stateroom. What you will usually get is a larger saloon area that walks straight out to a covered aft deck that can be used as additional living area and also a very large top deck for dinghy storage or entertaining. You pay your money and take your choice. Personally, I don't spend that much time in the stateroom, and guests are on board infrequently so that one head is not a problem. I love the Europa style and living.

The photo is of a 36' Europa style that I once owned. It was posted on another thread.

img_170287_0_248df9cc935d815d69e97c21d77c5fe1.jpg

Last edited:
What we love about the Europa/sedan style is being able to walk "upright" into and out of the saloon from the deck and the galley up configuration of most of this style. Most "Classic" styles involve either some degree of crouching or steep steps to get into the cabin.

We love the ICW and NY State canals and this style means my wife and I have a view while one is cooking and one piloting.

And my old 1975 Clipper (CHB) 34 is a Europa, although back then, that name had not been invented, so they called it a sedan, as opposed to an aft or tri-cabin version, which style made up the majority back then, whereas now most new boats are Europa style.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom