Dyer Dink or Inflatable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caribe

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Calypso
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 40'
I'm sure its come up before but whats the general wisdom comparing a 8' Dyer to an 8' rigid inflatable. Just finished renovation of a 1977 Marine Trader 40' DC and The dyer will look better on the deck but weighing what I'll give up in performance with a RIB....I would really appreciate your opinion -thank you!!!

wouldn't touch an 8 foot dink with a 10 foot pole other than a fun to row but usually in the way most of the time ....dink.

An inflatable is usually hands down more useful...less pretty or rowable...

A hard dingy made for abuse and a little longer is the choice of many a long distance cruiser because they are pickup trucks...that said if the dingy is used for long distance exploring and fun...hard to beat a RHIB.

I just went from an inflatable to a 9' Fatty Knees. The only upside to the Fatty is that you can strap a sail on it and sail around the anchorage. Oh, and there is not a better looking dink in the anchorage. The inflatable is more STABLE, can haul more people and junk & the dog likes it better. You don't have to worry too much about hitting your buddies boat or it rubbing against the dock.

But the Fatty sure looks good!

(The Fatty Knees) ... there is not a better looking dink in the anchorage. ...

That's open to debate.

232323232%7Ffp543%3B%3A%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3957%3A273%3B%3A336nu0mrj

RIB's can get leaks especially when landing on anything but sandy beaches.

No RIB's for me. Even with the most trustworthy motor, I want to be able to row back so that leaves out rubber boats for me.

Attachments

• Island Seeker 06-07 184.jpg
    Island Seeker 06-07 184.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 329
  • 046.jpg
    046.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 199
Here you go Mark

Attachments

• DSC_6253.jpg
    DSC_6253.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 459
Dual rowing positions!

I'm w Brooksie and Mark almost totally.

Attachments

• STH71272.jpg
    STH71272.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
No RIB's for me. Even with the most trustworthy motor, I want to be able to row back so that leaves out rubber boats for me.

You can row a rubber dink. It's not going to be sculling but you usually can get back to the big boat.

They all come with paddles.

Yes, if you're going in the direction of the current.

232323232%7Ffp538%3A%3B%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B29%3B79%3B4336nu0mrj

I would guess it depends on where you boat.

Not much curent in coves and bays.

Mostly use mine to go ashore for beach combing and hiking.

sd

You can row a rubber dink. It's not going to be sculling but you usually can get back to the big boat.

They all come with paddles.

In the trade winds, any distance, not so much. IMHO

Like I said. It depends on where you use the dink.

Always have a plan B. '

If the motor quits. Paddle.

Plan C

If you can't row. VHF.
Rubber dinks usually don't sink unless you hole them.
I consider mine a life boat.

SD

Last edited:
We had a Puffin (like the Dyer) on our last boat and loved it. We have 11' Boston Whaler with a 35hp on this boat and love it. The biggest problem with the BW is you can't beach it where there is a big tide swing:(

Cheap inflatable will get holes in them...good ones like AVONs last decades of hard use...their biggest enemy is tropical sun, dock nails and total stupidity. RIBs almost eliminate the rough beaching situation. Any boat is a struggle in big tidal swings....if it weighs more than you can drag or carry.

There is a trick to rowing them...but yes in anything but moderate conditions and short distances...why struggle.

That all said I'm a hard dingy fan of the bigger is better mentality...but that's for serious cruising...not just the weekend anchor up and row around the bay for the afternoon. Aluminum has its place too.

Where did you get the doggie harness? Looks like just what I am looking for.

I don't have my yellow dinghy on the boat anymore. Had to get the rubber duckie because it was light. I should have gotten the one rounded on both ends and 35 lbs. The transom adds 15 lbs to it.

Yes psneeld yen can row the duckies .. even go straight (relatively) but it takes considerable concentration and it's definitely NOT FUN.

Mark's got the best dinghy. Bigger boats have lots more options. All boats should have one dinghy that can be carried up the beach ... even if it requires removing the OB. And for small outboards on a dinghy a 2 stroke is king but some 2.5hp and the Honda 2 work ok. There is an electric now that I saw at the boat show that' really light and not too much money. Boating w a dinghy is wonderful and they are a life boat too. Or should I say "personal rescue boat" or PRB?

Back
Top Bottom