Automobile Dreaming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonstruck

Guru
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
I got to thinking of younger days when I owned a Jaguar XK120MC. I sure do miss driving fast at night through the Florida orange groves smelling the orange blossoms, and driving at night through the brick paved streets of Winter Park listening to the Abarth exhaust system. Pure music. Here is something I would dearly love to do before I check out.

Jaguar Mille Miglia 2013 Film - Luxurious Magazine - YouTube

Sorry to bore you with personal musings, but I thought a few people would enjoy this.

Allow me to suggest an alternative.

Every three years the 'Peking to Paris' rally is held over about 32 odd days, nothing too strenuous, civilised stops each night etc. They have about 80 cars or so, ranging from 1920 Bentlys to WW2 Willy Jeeps, with the odd 120XK thrown in as well.

The winner gets a bottle of champagne.

I'm trying to talk a mate of mine into entering the next one with me, just for the heck of it.My car of choice would be a DS Citroen, love that suspension system.

Last edited:
Allow me to suggest an alternative.

Every three years the 'Peking to Paris' rally is held over about 32 odd days, nothing too strenuous, civilised stops each night etc. They have about 80 cars or so, ranging from 1920 Bentlys to WW2 Willy Jeeps, with the odd 120XK thrown in as well.

The winner gets a bottle of champagne.

I'm trying to talk a mate of mine into entering the next one with me, just for the heck of it.My car of choice would be a DS Citroen, love that suspension system.

AndyG,

Come to Italy. It is so civilized. Driving through China you will wind up drinking yak milk and staying in a yurt.:)

Don,

Your post really took me back to my early years as well. I drove an Austin Healey 100/6 and remember some of the same sensations you are describing. It was so intense on summer nights, the smell of the engine, the wind in your face and the distinct aromas of wherever you were driving. Oh, and that sound, I too had Abarth exhaust. Horribly expensive, but worth every penny. A 6-cylinder symphony!

I ran across this little video for your amusement from my collection of YouTube favorites. I thought I might share it.

Austin Healey 100-6; NJMP Lightning - YouTube

The Jag and the Healey are definitely the fastest cars on the track, and toward the end, when they start reeling in the back markers it gets better. Alas, the big Jag just had longer legs, but then, I'll bet you already new that . . . . .:socool:

Larry
m/v Boomarang

Thanks Larry, the Jag was probably and S model with 3 SUs. He could have been faster if he had held a consistant line in the turns. The Jags weak point was its brakes. The Gurlings had a hard time bring the weight down to a stop. I locked my front wheels up so tightly one time that it stripped the splines on the wire wheels.

Nights were best. Thanks for posting. Loved it.:thumb:

3.00am, finished work, headed for home over the harbour bridge (Sydney)with the top down in my red Austin Healy 4, full moon on the harbour, no one around, foot to the floor.Sigh!

Growing up can be highly overrated.

3.00am, finished work, headed for home over the harbour bridge (Sydney)with the top down in my red Austin Healy 4, full moon on the harbour, no one around, foot to the floor.Sigh!

Growing up can be highly overrated.

Andy, good for you. Enjoy it for me. I was looking on line for an Austin Healy 100-4 just a few nights ago. There is just something about that torquey 4 banger that turns me on.:thumb:

We are doing a driving trip from Tennessee up to Quebec and over to Ontario in a few weeks. It would be great to do it in one of those. Like I say, automobile dreaming still.

Back
Top Bottom