Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very talented in all your projects definitely gives new meaning to ... She's a beaut :thumb:

Matt - me mate - I've decided you are not just crazy... you're freaking INSANE!!! :lol: :dance:

Great bunch of projects with beautiful finished products! Can hardly wait to see your completed AXE... what's next - a restored helicopter with naked girls air brushed on the roater blades?? And, a couple inside for da “pleasure” ride!!

Get it on man!! :socool:

:thumb: sounds like a plan :dance::lol:

Matt, what mag shot the pics? Am sure I've seen pics of your bike over here. About how long ago too.

Which one mate? they both had articles done on them. I cant post pics of the Airbrushed shoot as they are .... errmm .... well they are a bit rude for here :socool: .... and you mods might get a bit :angry: at me :hide: ... :lol:

Sounds interesting. Do tell :popcorn:
HD's are FAR cheaper here than in Oz...and if you buy one and store it for 12 months in the States you don't have to pay import duty on it...I was going to set it up as a business a while back when the US dollar was down compared to the Oz dollar but now it wouldnt be worth it on a large scale...

Which one mate? they both had articles done on them. I cant post pics of the Airbrushed shoot as they are .... errmm .... well they are a bit rude for here :socool: .... and you mods might get a bit :angry: at me :hide: ... :lol:

The bike. Nice bikes come and go but I know I've seen that plate before.

The bike. Nice bikes come and go but I know I've seen that plate before.

H3NDO plate? I have the plate on another bike of mine now but the custom built bike was sold around 4 years ago. The bike was in Ozbike Magazine:socool:. Not sure if yáll get that mag over there but if ya do then thats where youve seen it :)

Last edited:
HD's are FAR cheaper here than in Oz...and if you buy one and store it for 12 months in the States you don't have to pay import duty on it...I was going to set it up as a business a while back when the US dollar was down compared to the Oz dollar but now it wouldnt be worth it on a large scale...
WHAT'S AN HD..?
Can't be a Holden model, not in the US, surely..?

Does that apply to boats as well?

Peter B
Quote:

"WHAT'S AN HD..?
Can't be a Holden model, not in the US, surely..?"

Pete, I hear they are doing a remake of 'Easy Rider' in Queensland, instead of a Harley Davidson they are going to use an orange 1965 HD Holden, with a vinyl roof!

The guy playing the Dennis Hopper part is having a special ex postie Honda 90 step through, with those large handle bars, modified by Hendo. :rofl:
(I haven't forgotten State of Origin you know) :D

I was a serious motorcyclist before Harleys were called hogs. We started calling them hogs w good reason. It was all about performance ... or more correctly put .. lack of it. Couldn't do anything well. Go, stop, corner .. nada.
So the term hog settled in. It settled in so profoundly the Harley riders knew they'd never be rid of it so the did the only thing possible and actually embraced the name hog. And now everyone calls them hogs without a thought to why.

I even had two. A 1950 pan head 74 and a 1934 VL 74. The VL was an ex Cossack's parade bike. The engine didn't have an oil pump driven by the engine. One injected oil to the bearings w a "pull push" thing on top of the gas tank much like pumping air into the tank of a Colman Lantern. If the exhaust was a bit blue (like some Lehmans) fine .. but if not you needed to pump more oil (several strokes) until the blue exhaust re-appeared. The recommended oil was 70W aircraft oil. The VL, with it's 19" wheels handled better than other Harley's until things started scraping on the road.

In all fairness Harley's have improved but still don't compare to motorcycles.

Last edited:
Ahh Manyboats...here is where we argue mate. Anything NOT a HD must first be assessed by several criteria before it can be called a motorcycle....;-)

And to answer Andy, lets just say I could never have afforded the boat I have now if I was buying it in Oz. However its not as big a difference now the exchaneg rates are so much closer. When I first arrived in the States 6 years back I bought a 2004 Screamin Eagle (HD's 'custom' line') Fatboy and paid 19K for it....I had a picture I took in Harley Heaven in Melbourne of the price tag hanging on an absolutely identical bike, similar mileage, of 52 K....trouble is you have to own one for 12 months in the US before you ship it back or you pay ridiculous import duty.

Not sure if that applies to boats or not...

And I had my first HD at 18 myself...and I have owned quite a few jappers too but we don't talk about that in polite company...

Craig, my motorcycle claim to fame was owing an ex-cop Triumph Speedtwin, and I enjoyed it immensely, but after coming off a couple of times in slippery conditions, fortunately none the worse for wear, I decided 4 wheels was definitely safer.
It was a buzz in fine weather, but even with full fairing and windshield not nice in wet weather. I always smile when someone on a hog passes me, always sitting with arms and legs stretched forwards to reach the bars and pedals, and think, boy, how the rain must run straight up there...

@ Pete...yep, the more ingenious have made fortunes coming up with ways to keep the wind and water out of ones vital areas...LOL...

I must admit though, if I have troubles of a serious nature, NOTHING is better therapy than time on the bike...and I am a shrink so 'physician heal thyself' eh ?

Anything NOT a HD must first be assessed by several criteria before it can be called a motorcycle....;-)QUOTE]

Oh craigo craigo craigo ... :nonono: ... see thats where we are different mate. I chose to do a Suzuki as i prefer to ride than push as would be the case if i did a Harley :lol::dance:

Boom Tish :rofl:

Hendo...mate...I am doing my best to retain the great respect I have for you...my 2004 Fatboy has over 60 K miles and aside from tyres (oops tires LOL) and service items she hasnt missed a beat....

Hendo...mate...I am doing my best to retain the great respect I have for you...my 2004 Fatboy has over 60 K miles and aside from tyres (oops tires LOL) and service items she hasnt missed a beat....

HAHAHAHA Youre a crack up mate :rofl: ... :thumb: ... You took that bait like a 1000lb tuna! LOL

Not a lot happening on the AXE front due this bloody rain but had a nice little boat pull up at the docks at work yesterday to unload some toys

Anything NOT a HD must first be assessed by several criteria before it can be called a motorcycle....;-)QUOTE]

Oh craigo craigo craigo ... :nonono: ... see thats where we are different mate. I chose to do a Suzuki as i prefer to ride than push as would be the case if i did a Harley :lol::dance:

Boom Tish :rofl:
Thank goodness no one mentioned the "D" word.
Oh no, I just did.:blush:
That ship is so fugly I thought the bow was its butt.

Last edited:
@ Pete...yep, the more ingenious have made fortunes coming up with ways to keep the wind and water out of ones vital areas...LOL...

I must admit though, if I have troubles of a serious nature, NOTHING is better therapy than time on the bike...and I am a shrink so 'physician heal thyself' eh ?
Aha..."a burn-up on my bike is what I like..."
Remember that song - if you do you are in my age-group..?

So you're a shrink, and I'm a geep...or a quack if you like, I don't mind.

Sorry Hendo...now back on thread...Hendo's re-build...

I know :banghead:

I have mates who get me with it every damn time LMAO...

First full day of sunshine yesterday and boy did we love it :dance:

Flic and i continued with the keel and hull prep. All of the rib gurder bolts were sunk into the keel and epoxy filled ready for the 10 mm thick steel plate that will be going on the keel :thumb:

We also finished the 50mm radius, High strength epoxy glue fillet running either side of the keel on the hull join covering the fixings and making that seam water tight.

The keel was coated with epoxy and we started filling in the screw holes with epoxy glue.

Now that all of the seams are done i dont have to much around with that bloody tarp :dance: well at least not untill i flip her back over again :banghead:

All in all it was a great step forward towards glassing the hull :thumb:in a few weeks

WOW - I can almost imagine her gliding through the water now.

And let me say - I think you really have a couple of winners there. Both of your girls are definite keepers. Flic and the AXE.

Back
Top Bottom