Kadey Krogen 39 Owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't do it offline, do it here so we can all learn. She or the 42 is my next boat...at this point...I'd love to hear the conversation.

Kk 39

Don't do it offline, do it here so we can all learn. She or the 42 is my next boat...at this point...I'd love to hear the conversation.

I had the recent opportunity to board two KK 39's and take one out for a short sea trial on the SF Bay. Having owned two Nordhavn 40's I was excited to compare the two great boats. The following is a summary of my observations:

Boat looked larger then a 39'.
Bow height is a good 2' taller then the N40.
Overall quality of both boats (13 and 15 years old) was amazingly very good. While it was obvious the owners took care of their boats the boat itself had to start out being a high quality boat to look as good as they did. Not blisters, discoloring, stress cracks or corrosion.
Nice engine room entry with 6' headroom upon entering them down to crawl space as you move aft.
Large pilothouse for seating but not set up as well as N40 for displays
Dual side decks (one would be better to allow for a larger salon)
Large aft deck for chairs
Exterior teak flooring limited to the aft and side decks.
The biggest advantage I noticed was the ride. When compared to the N40 the KK 39 felt smoother and lighter in the water. The N40 pushes more water. She was a good 1/2 Knott quicker at 1750RPM with the JD versus N40 Lugger. Their claims that their hull design was superior has merit. No wake at any speed. I would like to have had her in rough seas but what I noticed on flat calm was positive.
Larger top deck and flybridge compared to the N40
Missing Portuguese Bridge for safety watches outside the Pilothouse
Smaller fuel tanks

A few items that did not work for us include:
Older styling both in and out
View from Pilothouse was partially blocked due to bow rise
Salon and galley about half the size of the N40
OSR bathroom was a little smaller compared to the N40
Shower was half the size and did not offer a seat compared to the N40
Boarding the KK was very poor. A small side gate is not functional and the aft swim platform is very far from the side deck.
Aft engine room was to small

While no boat is perfect I don't think anyone could go wrong with either the KK 39 or N40. We are not sure where we are going from here but we have decided to pass on a KK at this time.

See if you can go out on a KK42.
How old a boat are you looking for?

Thanks for the great descriptive deatil comparison.

Rihcard

I had the recent opportunity to board two KK 39's and take one out for a short sea trial on the SF Bay. Having owned two Nordhavn 40's I was excited to compare the two great boats. The following is a summary of my observations:

Boat looked larger then a 39'.
Bow height is a good 2' taller then the N40.
Overall quality of both boats (13 and 15 years old) was amazingly very good. While it was obvious the owners took care of their boats the boat itself had to start out being a high quality boat to look as good as they did. Not blisters, discoloring, stress cracks or corrosion.
Nice engine room entry with 6' headroom upon entering them down to crawl space as you move aft.
Large pilothouse for seating but not set up as well as N40 for displays
Dual side decks (one would be better to allow for a larger salon)
Large aft deck for chairs
Exterior teak flooring limited to the aft and side decks.
The biggest advantage I noticed was the ride. When compared to the N40 the KK 39 felt smoother and lighter in the water. The N40 pushes more water. She was a good 1/2 Knott quicker at 1750RPM with the JD versus N40 Lugger. Their claims that their hull design was superior has merit. No wake at any speed. I would like to have had her in rough seas but what I noticed on flat calm was positive.
Larger top deck and flybridge compared to the N40
Missing Portuguese Bridge for safety watches outside the Pilothouse
Smaller fuel tanks

A few items that did not work for us include:
Older styling both in and out
View from Pilothouse was partially blocked due to bow rise
Salon and galley about half the size of the N40
OSR bathroom was a little smaller compared to the N40
Shower was half the size and did not offer a seat compared to the N40
Boarding the KK was very poor. A small side gate is not functional and the aft swim platform is very far from the side deck.
Aft engine room was to small

While no boat is perfect I don't think anyone could go wrong with either the KK 39 or N40. We are not sure where we are going from here but we have decided to pass on a KK at this time.

This is a great post, thanks! It's nice to hear a side by side comparison on two similar boats. Wouldn't have guessed anything would have a higher bow than that Nordy!

One follow up question: when I look at these two boats, I can see many of the N40's advantages you've mentioned here, but I can't seem to get over the fact that they didn't extend the Nordy's boat deck to cover the cockpit. Can't imagine not wanting a covered cockpit, no? Interested what your thoughts are as an experienced N40 owner.

The lack of overhead protection on the N40 was never and issue for us but we lived in San Diego. The real issue with the N40, N43 and even the N47 to a lesser degree is their small aft cockpit space. While they carry their beams aft the forward/aft depth is minimum at best and doesn't provide much space for a table and chairs thus you don't notice the lack of overhead protection. I have seen a few boats with very nice canvas extensions to the aft transom.

The lack of overhead protection on the N40 was never and issue for us but we lived in San Diego. The real issue with the N40, N43 and even the N47 to a lesser degree is their small aft cockpit space. While they carry their beams aft the forward/aft depth is minimum at best and doesn't provide much space for a table and chairs thus you don't notice the lack of overhead protection. I have seen a few boats with very nice canvas extensions to the aft transom.

The KK area of the forum isn't the right place, but curious about your thoughts on comparisons between the N46 and N40.

Sir, you are correct we likely in the wrong place to discuss Nordhavn's. Please contact me directly at N4061@yahoo.com and I would be pleased to discuss both of these great boats in detail with you.

John

Sir, you are correct we likely in the wrong place to discuss Nordhavn's.
I don't know about the rest of the Forum members but I would like to know more about Nordhavns from guys who own them. :blush:

Walt, we were docked at Sunroad Marina in San Diego and I think I walked past your boat more then once. Very nice looking and well cared for. Our first N40 had a gray hull was La Maria Elena and our second boat with a white hull was Maria Elena. I believe we were on H dock with both boats. We plan to return to Sunroad next year with the next boat.

Our first N40 had a gray hull was La Maria Elena and our second boat with a white hull was Maria Elena.
I'm embarrassed to admit the time I've spent on the dock admiring your boat.

If you've been away from SunRoad for awhile, you won't believe the Job Jim B has done with our marina. I'ts better (less expensive) than a yacht club and just as many activities and perks. :blush:

I don't know about the rest of the Forum members but I would like to know more about Nordhavns from guys who own them. :blush:

New guy question: Why is there no Nordy section in the builder's section of the forum?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom