Old Fuel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The operative words "left unchanged"...

the engine doesn't know or care about the micron rating only a restriction in flow.

too big all the way to the injector pump would be a problem.

Last edited:
I'm going to have a lot of filters on board and will install the Racor vacuum gauge. Since I plan on checking the sediment bowl and vacuum gauge hourly for awhile, I could use a 2 micron filter and change it out more often. Figure it would be better to catch as much of it there rather than sending it down to the other filters.

My John Deere has a 10-micron filter. Makes me wonder why I bother with the 2-micron Racor filter (as opposed to a 10) preparatory to the engine.

img_169735_0_df45c136064cae991c0d854363cb5efa.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to have a lot of filters on board and will install the Racor vacuum gauge. Since I plan on checking the sediment bowl and vacuum gauge hourly for awhile, I could use a 2 micron filter and change it out more often. Figure it would be better to catch as much of it there rather than sending it down to the other filters.

What engine do you have?

What engine do you have?

A Ford Industrial SSD-655M, same as an Aifo Iveco 8061M04. It is 120 or 130HP. I'll confirm the HP in a few days when the new engine manuals arrive.

Since you have already bought the boat and are just now questioning the fuel and the fuel system, I would take a few steps back and review the survey. Did your surveyor inspect the tanks and sample the fuel? If he didn't you should now. Is there any water in the bottom of the fuel tanks? What is the ph of the fuel? Any bacterial growth? Any tank corrosion issues? How are the primary filters age and hours? Any water in the bowls? If so better pull the injectors and inspect the tips for corrosion. Polishing? Yes, I would do so with those 2 micron filters. As far as vacuum gauges go, the only reliable readings happen at wot, by then, if you have a problem, it's probably too late. Whatever fuel filtration system you have on this engine is designed to work as a complete system. Using a 2 micron primary filter in a system that was designed for a 30 with a 10 micron secondary is going to cost you way more than a case of 2 micron filters. Also the primary and secondary filters should be changed annually at a minimum and additionally as recommended by the manufacturer. Change the air filters too while you are at it, diesels really only need clean air and clean fuel to keep everyone happy. Now get out there and run that girl and have some fun.

How do you test the pH? And what are acceptable limits?

For aluminum or iron tanks anything approaching the ph of vinegar say 5 or less would be a problem. You can test any water with a simple ph strip. Some fuel additives emulsify water, so just because there is no water in the tank don't assume every thing is fine. A fuel sample sent to a lab for a complete analysis should have been part of the survey. Only then can you truly know the quality of the fuel in the tank.

How do you test the pH? And what are acceptable limits?

Diesel fuel is not tested for pH. There are no "acceptable limits." There is no pH standard for diesel fuel.

Acidity (not pH) is a concern with lube oils, biodiesel fuel, and biodiesel blends and it is tested for what is called the Total Acid Number which is not a measure of pH.

Fuel quality testing by legitimate labs is available if you want to pay for it, it's not expensive.

The link that follows is for a representative lab, they do what all the other good labs do. This particular lab just happens to have a comprehensive website that explains the process and the tests in clear language. Read the list of tests, click on the test to read the standards and purpose of the test. Note which tests are performed on which products for what reason. Follow the "additional resources" link.

Educate yourself on these issues, it is your only defense against voodoo engineering, witch doctors, snake oil salesmen and their followers.

Diesel Fuel Analysis: Fuel Sample Analysis, Filter Plugging

Last edited:
Well spoken

If you don't have it tested, then blindly pouring additives in your fuel and lube oil may be doing more harm than good.

Back
Top Bottom