Shelter Bay and Slough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

6-Pack

Vessel Name
The 6-Pack
Vessel Make
1974 Custom Aluminum Pilothouse
We are headed to the Swinomish and Shelter Bay for a Amoy reunion. Apparently the dredging has been completed. Any tips from veterans of the area?

Autocorrect ugh family reunion!

Pretty easy, just stay between the channel markers and you should be fine. Went thru last month with no problems in our GB 36.

You should be fine. It's still a little shallow on the south end between #'s 6 and 8. Don't wander too far from the center there if the tide is low. A sailboat grounded somewhere on the south end last month. I don't know any more than that.

My depth sounder showed 5-6 feet a couple of weeks ago.

If you're coming from the south stay on the north side of the channel on the east/west leg west of "Hole in the Wall". Through the "S" curves of the dogleg assume a big boat is just out of sight around the corner.

They probably got it w the dredge but there was a shallow spot just north of Latitude Marine (in the dogleg where my boat is) on the west (shelter Bay) side of the channel.

Tides are big now w the full moon last night and currents will be stronger than usual too.

The above is all just FYI as the transit should be a walk in the channel. Couldn't resist that.

Thanks for the info! Low tide is around 2:30. What direction will the current be running on the incoming tide? We will be coming from Everett. Also, any thoughts on the entrance to and movement around Shelter Bay?

We had a great trip! I think the markers in the channel should be a little clearer on the southern approach. There were logs parked on the east side where the markers were so I found myself staying to the middle. Shelter Bay was nice and we had some nice dinghy runs into town. What a cute place to visit! We clocked about 5hrs each way at 8k with some pumpout hijinx:). However, since we base all travel decisions on the quality of the donuts in town and neither bakery had a donut the kids were left wanting!

Jeff

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom