Sundeck Models

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
18kts@18gph versus 9kts@8gph....I think I would just keep her up and running hard!!!

DItto! :thumb: :iagree:

Just let her cool down fully before mixng cocktails! :speed boat::D

Thanks everyone for the continued comments, suggestions, and photos. Based on recommendations we've started looking at some cockpit model listings, but still seem to favor the Sundeck models. I've been in PM contact with several owners and have been learning more about both the Heritage East 40 and the Present 42 models which seem like strong candidates.

Heritage East - Sundeck 44 by Nova Marine

"However, we keep coming back to our decision-making matrix and our list of must-haves, and I'm wondering if perhaps we should be seeking out some other models that we simply don't know about. Knowing that we are looking for a loop boat, our starting point is a 38-44' boat that has a draft of 4' or less and the ability to pass under a 19' bridge. From that base we have set four must-haves:
1) Sundeck model: we've looked at trunk trawlers, sedans, etc. and we really feel that we will spend a lot of time on the hook and that the Sundeck will be our focal point for socialization.
2) Single engine, preferably 220HP or less. Both economy and screw protection drive this.
3) Both upper and lower helm stations. Although we are confident that the upper helm will see 99% of the action, having the utility of the lower helm we think is important, especially on a one-year trip.
4) Two staterooms. We expect to have guests along the way and really don't want to have another couple sleeping in a settee berth.

Other than a beautiful Defever 41 that we decided against because we really want that Sundeck, everything else we've seen has twin diesels."

We too are partial to the Sundeck, but your requirement for the single diesel ... say in your size range of 40-44' will prove a challenge. We've owned a 1987 44' Heritage East Sundeck model for 4 years now, and Glory Sea has been a fantastic boat for us, from everything to roominess, equipment and overall quality. We've had the good fortune that the previous PO's took tedious care of her. It's the twin diesels using Cummins BT5.9-6cyl (basic marinized doge truck engines) that are very reliable and fuel efficient as far as marine environment goes). Given the full keel, she tracks very nicely on one engine. We found this out when we crossed from the west to east coast of Florida via Lake Okeechobee, and temporarily lost the SB engine. So ... just a thought ... use just one of the engines at a time alternately, if you really want to conserve on fuel, but kick in the second for docking and maneuverability etc., unless you need the bow-thruster!

Last edited:
So ... just a thought ... use just one of the engines at a time alternately, if you really want to conserve on fuel, but kick in the second for docking and maneuverability etc., unless you need the bow-thruster!

Thanks for the note Michael. I have heard other owners speaking of single engine ops and I know that there are a couple of threads on this topic, which I need to research. My concern involves possible unintended consequences of operating single engine on the idle shaft/seals/transmission, a concern that must be addressed specifically to the installed equipment on a given boat I would assume.

As an update to forum members that have been so helpful to us during our continued search, we are now reviewing our videos/photos/notes from our trip to FL and the dozen boats we looked at, and believe that we may soon make an offer on the Jefferson 42. Believe it or not one obstacle that I'm facing now is insurance; because we currently are working in Canada and have "foreign" driver's licenses, two underwriters have told me that they won't bind a policy for a FL boat. If anyone has any recommendations form insurance brokers that are reasonable and might be able to help, please PM me.

If you are going to only run 1 engine and not the other, you will need to lock down the shaft to keep you from burning up the reversing gear of the engine that is shut down. If you don't lock it down the shut down engine shaft will continue to rotate.

Cobber-I don't recall from your OP if fuel usage was your concern in the single v twin thing. There have been more than a few discussions here on this and you will find that there is not a real significant difference in fuel usage whether the boat has a big single or smaller twins. Given that the average annual engine hours for most boaters is under 250 hours, the cost differential is negligible. It will make little or no sense to only run a single in a twin engine boat. The boat was designed for twins and will run much better and more efficiently using both engines. There will be issues with securing one shaft, running the single harder than it would running with its twin, steering issues, autopilot issues.

The Jeff 45 is a very nice boat, and a season or two with it and you will probably find that fuel cost is not your major budget issue.

If you are going to only run 1 engine and not the other, you will need to lock down the shaft to keep you from burning up the reversing gear of the engine that is shut down. If you don't lock it down the shut down engine shaft will continue to rotate.

True, depending on the transmission. Some can be freewheeled without damage- always best to check the specifications and let the manufacturer make the call.

Not the case with most Velvet Drive BW tranny. It will cause no damage.

I would be looking a Grandbanks 42 motoryacht. (sundeck). Get an early one with 2 Lehmans. Take a serious look at the Grandbanks Owners Forum. This is a resource that's missing on most other boats. You will belong to a great group of owners.

They hold their value and pride in ownership makes for a great feeling.

My next Boat. JohnP

I would be looking a Grandbanks 42 motoryacht. (sundeck).

John - Grand Banks only made trunk cabins and Europas. Right? I don't think I'm wrong about this. A DeFever you might be thinking of, a 44.

John - Grand Banks only made trunk cabins and Europas.

I could not find an example to link to on Yachtworld but they did make a motor yacht model with flush aft deck(or sundeck) and also a very few sedan versions without the trademark trunk cabin aft. The sedan looked pretty cool, like a scaled up 32 to me.

Trawler forum members are open to differing opinions, right?

I think all sundeck trawlers are ugly.

I’m sure there are some who agree with me, but will remain silent. I walk the docks and talk to boat owners.

In my experience the divide seems to originate between those who came to power cruising via sail, and those who came via smaller powerboats.

I mentioned to Mr DeFever at a rendezvous that the 44 was his least attractive boat, and he smiled, and said the 44+5 was designed to make it look better.

If you own a sundeck and are happy with it then good for you. Many happy miles.

Fair winds,

Mike

John - Grand Banks only made trunk cabins and Europas. Right? I don't think I'm wrong about this. A DeFever you might be thinking of, a 44.

GB did in fact male a sundeck motoryacht. They made it in a 42 and I think there may be a few rare 36s. Definitely not their most popular model.

Marin might come out of retirement for this one!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom