Engine room pyrometer use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sea hag

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Jubilee
Vessel Make
Prima Seahorse
I am interested in establishing a data base of normal operating temps for various engine room systems using an infrared pyrometer. Is this worthwhile effort ? I would appreciate suggestions on what specific items to check. Sweet spot of oil pan ? Alternator case ? Wet elbow ? Shaft seals ? Hoses ?

Do you mark a specific spot to insure uniformity of test data ? Thanks.

You can keep a log on your temps recorded. Put a mark and number on the item, be it exhaust manifold going downline to muffler and hoses. Alternater case. Heat exchangers. Over 150 degrees F on exhaust could be a problem. Transmission case and oil coolers. Engine room should not be more then 30 Degrees F higher then out side air temp. Smart move.

It is good for indicating temps and detecting trends. But they are vastly misunderstood tools. Many people have no idea how they work and over estimate their accuracy. I've got a really good one, a Fluke, and it is only accurate to 1% of the reading.

Read up on emissivity and understand the D:S ratio. Oh, and experiment with black tape.

... they are vastly misunderstood tools. Many people have no idea how they work and over estimate their accuracy. I've got a really good one, a Fluke,...
Unfortunate brand name for a (semi) scientific instrument.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom