Wireless Intercom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r-rossow

Vessel Name
Southern Promise MMSI 258170360
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 55 Mk1
We are on the home stretch of buying a new 55' trawler (new to us at least, the boat is 30 years old).Being the gadget person I am and a person hating to shout while on the water, I have started looking for wireless intercom set for communication between the deck hand and the helmsperson. *
Any suggestions for a handy set?

Roger

We found a Motorola pair in a Sam's club for about $60 that are working fine.
Can't see any ID markings but they have a bright yellow bezel.
Jon

We mostly use our cell phones.* We also have several 2 way hand held radios and two portable VHF. **In the Puget Sound we have 100% cell phone coverage.* When the grand children leave the boat they must have a 2 way radio with them, so I buy the cheap 2 ways radios as they get broken and dropped in the water.* The VHF are used when we take the run about and/or dink as they have good range, but mostly the cell phones.

Just back from Sam's Club in Lake Charles. 2 Motorola radios with 110v and 12v chargers for $54 (Grey bezel if you're into colour coordination).
Jon

Jon wrote:

Just back from Sam's Club in Lake Charles. 2 Motorola radios with 110v and 12v chargers for $54 (Grey bezel if you're into colour coordination).
Jon
Oh oh, grey bezels might not be rated for marine use. Send another $20 in and we'll send you the yellow "marine" bezels.........
smile.gif

I had a look at the*Tech Link*set. The headset*seem to be*more in place in a Norseman (pun intended)*than on a trawler. Knowing the Admiral for a few decades, I pretty sure she would not want to wear this set. Just to keep up the gabble: we both are Norsemen, well Norwegians at least. OK - Ok guys, I will stop this now.

I have been looking for a more discrete set. The most unobtrusive I have found so far is this Bluetooth set. With a roaming distance of 50m it should be OK on board.

Also found a Full Duplex sets from Eartec. The transceiver can be fitted with different size headsets.

Roger

We purchased the Eartech headsets last year and like them. Maybe a tad pricey ($299) but they are sturdy and communication is clear. Now, if she'd just do what I tell her!

Ditto on the Eartec units. The best feature is that they're full duplex, which means you can talk at the same time. This is a very nice feature - since you don't have to wait for the other party to finish what they're saying - you can "talk over" them - if necessary.....

As stated above, they're pricey, but worth it IMO.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom