New Dinghy motor questions!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keith---

What was the rationale for changing the standard for fuel economy from litres per kilometer to litres per one hundred kilometers? Is it felt that this gives a more realistic figure for overall efficiency?

Keith,
I've crossed the border many times having lived in Vancouver, Surrey and Masset. That was in the 70s and I don't recall if the metric system was in place or not then. It's common knoledge on both sides of the border that the metric system is better. We've been frustrated w swaping back and forth w tools and lately there seems to be 10 or 15 new types of screw heads and my tool box only has 2 or3. But if you know how much oil you consumed w what size of engine over what period of time I would like to know. Still haven't talked w my dealer.
OK OK I see that the one in what looks like 21 is a bit higher than the number 1 so you said two liters. Actually # of gallons of fuel is what we need to know now and if your'e a normal skipper you don't keep track of it.

Eric Henning

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Friday 4th of December 2009 10:06:16 PM

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Friday 4th of December 2009 10:08:57 PM

Eric:
My dinghy gets used for a variety of things, from ferrying the dog to shore for his constitutional to buzzing out to the prawn spot and back. I fill when it needs it, and only keep a rough count of the # of times I fill in a season. Once,when buzzing to the Duke point ferry terminal to pick up a passenger, and back to Silva bay, I had to pay attention to consumption to be sure I would get there and back on what was in the tank. Other than that I am rarely going far enough to need to know.
My dinghy has those "smart tabs" trim tabs and one failed when I was 5 miles from my boat. Boy did I notice the extra fuel consumption from driving with one tab fully down the whole way!

Marin:
No idea. I note though that my cars all now state fuel economy in l/100km, so there was likely some international convention that set this up.

nomadwilly wrote:

It's common knoledge on both sides of the border that the metric system is better.
I can remember back when I was in grade school that the US decided to make the switch to metric.* I believe it was actually an official government decree, and I recall making a start in whatever grade I was in to learn the metric system.* But the idea lasted about 15 minutes.* I don't remember how long the change was actually in effect, but it must not have been very long because our studying of the metric system quietly faded away never to be revived.

I agree, Eric, the metric system is the more logical and sensible.* Our military realized that a long time ago.* Pity the folks in the UK, however, who have to live with both.* A surprising number of people don't seem to realize that England was not metric until relatively recently.* My 1973 Land Rover, for example, is all regular fasteners, SAE is it?* There are a few Whitworth bits, but the vehicle is all 1/2", 5/16". etc.* But our Range Rover is all metric except for the really big fasteners, like the bolts in the suspension system, which are still SAE.

In the UK, petrol and diesel fuel is sold by the litre.* A lot of people still use the weight measurement, "stone," (equal to 14 pounds).* Despite the official adapatation of the metric system, beer MUST be sold in the UK by the pint, road signs MUST be in miles, yards or feet, road speed limits MUST be posted in miles per hour, and the railroads still officially measure everthing in yards, feet, inches, and chains.* Must be fun.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom