Old 07-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #40
psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
The OP is wanting to buy a fixer upper sight unseen. The broker is softly to some, very clear to others trying to slow down the OP. Internet chatterers are saying go for it. Kind of like those on the ground telling the suicide guy on the ledge to "JUMP."

My advice is don't commit in advance, go slowly and be patient.
Only know what I've read so far.

Here's from the opening post " Ok, so talk to the broker, and yes it is what the add says, or so he claims. Add says ready to go head to the Bahamas. Well I don't want to go to the Bahamas but I do want to get it to Buzzards Bay in Massachusetts"

Let's see...OK for an open water 60 mile run to a foreign country but not OK up about the easiest cruising ground in the world? OK...well I don't believe ads or brokers till a bit of investigation....

Then the OP posts something pretty reasonable and more than most do..."Yes the boat is diesel and I plan to have the fuel polished or replaced and then the tank treated. Fuel guy seems to know what to use on not to use. Also bringing extra filters was well as belts and impellers. This boat has twin 62 HP perkins. If anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear. " Twins with good fuel, filters and spare parts. The intracoastal is pretty forgiving to twins...easy to get someplace for help.

Then he posts...". I suspect a realistic cruise speed is 6 miles per hour. Can I do 10 hrs per day and get 60 miles. That is what I am planning but there is this little voice in my head saying "No NO NO" more like 40 miles per day????? " Which to me he IS thinkg pretty clearly and thoroughly compared to the guy who thinks he's gonna make 100 days in a 36 Trawler that's not a go fast tug.

He also posts..."I am relatively knew to boating (third year) My first experience was a 150 mile trip down the CT river and on to Buzzards Bay Mass. That was educational and a great trip. I expect the ICW will be the same. I am no stranger to trips of this sort since I have ferryed aircraft for people from tim to time. A lot of preplanning makes the trip safe, same as the ICW I suspect"

OK so he's a relative newbie but is punching all the right buttons so far except taking or hiring a really experienced person to go along...which is almost always a good idea as it can make the trip even more educational and fun.

Rushing? Maybe but out of many dreamers...that actually do something...this one seems to have it a lot mre together and a trip up the ICW should be challenging but hardly any more dangerous than a newbie boating in his home waters.

And he's here seeking advice....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote