Needing some opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have already started the title search due to the time issues. At worst if I decide not to buy, I will loose the $250.00. If I do decise to buy we sill simply owe the balance of the documentation service fee. Yes the boat is diesel and I plan to have the fuel polished or replaced and then the tank treated. Fuel guy seems to know what to use on not to use. Also bringing extra filters was well as belts and impellers. This boat has twin 62 HP perkins. If anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear.

an assistance towing service...they are good for very up to date knowledge in almost every area you will travel through....as well as all the other services they provide.

I would go for it, have a towing service and have the pumps and filters serviced and the must fix items from a good survey and go for it.

Boats are made to float not travel on the back of a truck, and it's why you are buying a boat, you will always remember the trip and will learn more about the boat in the three weeks then a year of weekends.

Lots of good yards on the AICW if you need then, go and join (Free) www.activecaptain.com for great information.

Have fun!!!:thumb:

I got my first official trucking quote. Up until now I was told about $4000. Well the official quote came in at $16000. Had planned on using the trucker as a backup. Guess that is out of the question. Now planing on running the bt up in two trips. Started the planning but stuck with the question, how many miles can I do in a day realistically. I know, "don't rush ans enjoy the trip". But, just for the sake of reality and planning anyone have any idea of milage per day? Ok, the boat is a 36 ft Gulfstar. I have been told cruise speed of 8 miler per hour. I don't think so. I suspect a realistic cruise speed is 6 miles per hour. Can I do 10 hrs per day and get 60 miles. That is what I am planning but there is this littel voice in my head saying "No NO NO" more like 40 miles per day?????

I got my first official trucking quote. Up until now I was told about $4000. Well the official quote came in at $16000. Had planned on using the trucker as a backup. Guess that is out of the question. Now planing on running the bt up in two trips. Started the planning but stuck with the question, how many miles can I do in a day realistically. I know, "don't rush ans enjoy the trip". But, just for the sake of reality and planning anyone have any idea of milage per day? Ok, the boat is a 36 ft Gulfstar. I have been told cruise speed of 8 miler per hour. I don't think so. I suspect a realistic cruise speed is 6 miles per hour. Can I do 10 hrs per day and get 60 miles. That is what I am planning but there is this littel voice in my head saying "No NO NO" more like 40 miles per day?????

Depends on you and time of year. Apr-Oct and the days are long enough for 12hrs and still do daylight. You can make some longer days with a little higher fuel burn at 7-8...but you are right that somewhere between 6-7 you'll get better fuel economy.

If you anchor then the days can be very close to what you think. If you marina up...or need to provision..those days are somewhat controlled by distance to where you need to get to. Leaving in dark or twilight is an option if you are comfortable with the pace you are leaving and I say that is I'd always rather leave in the dark than arrive to a new place in it.

40 miles a day is pretty leisurely...nice if you actually want to get off the boat and see places other than a quick diner at a restaurant...but to make time, bumping that up to 50-60 is more of a "cruiser trying to get some place".

Your Mark !! has a very clean hull. They move thru the water very easy. My last trip up was in a 49' Grand Banks. I ran hull speed, 8.5 knots. From Miami River to North Shore of Long Island. I averaged 90 miles per day. Some days were 80 and a few were 100. Norfolk bridges were biggest delay. Try to stop at Atlantic Yacht Basin for the night just south of the locks. then early out and try to follow a tug thru. Bluewater Yard in Hampton Va. is a great stop also. 6 to 7 knots is, to me, wasting time.

Your Mark !! has a very clean hull. They move thru the water very easy. My last trip up was in a 49' Grand Banks. I ran hull speed, 8.5 knots. From Miami River to North Shore of Long Island. I averaged 90 miles per day. Some days were 80 and a few were 100. Norfolk bridges were biggest delay. Try to stop at Atlantic Yacht Basin for the night just south of the locks. then early out and try to follow a tug thru. Bluewater Yard in Hampton Va. is a great stop also. 6 to 7 knots is, to me, wasting time.[/QUOTE]
And to some a waste of fuel....

A 36 Gulfstar and a 49 Grand Banks is a serious difference in hull speed and probably hull design.

My first trip I ran around 8 knots in my boat....second trip averaged 6.3...enjoyed the trip more (though I understand schedules) and burned 40% less fuel.

Our MK1 with twin 4-236 Perkins has a sweet spot at 1700 rpms, giving us 7.5 knots, +/- current, wind, etc. Going faster than that raises the bow, digs a hole behind, and really starts sucking fuel. WOT only gives 8.5 kts, sluggish handling, and a fuel burn only a Saudi sheik would love. I love our boat, and I never planned on skiing behind it:socool:. It is what it is.

The OP is wanting to buy a fixer upper sight unseen. The broker is softly to some, very clear to others trying to slow down the OP. Internet chatterers are saying go for it. Kind of like those on the ground telling the suicide guy on the ledge to "JUMP."

My advice is don't commit in advance, go slowly and be patient.

Well put. I have been thinking similar thoughts as I have followed this thread.

John

The OP is wanting to buy a fixer upper sight unseen. The broker is softly to some, very clear to others trying to slow down the OP. Internet chatterers are saying go for it. Kind of like those on the ground telling the suicide guy on the ledge to "JUMP."

My advice is don't commit in advance, go slowly and be patient.

Only know what I've read so far.

Here's from the opening post " Ok, so talk to the broker, and yes it is what the add says, or so he claims. Add says ready to go head to the Bahamas. Well I don't want to go to the Bahamas but I do want to get it to Buzzards Bay in Massachusetts"

Let's see...OK for an open water 60 mile run to a foreign country but not OK up about the easiest cruising ground in the world? OK...well I don't believe ads or brokers till a bit of investigation....

Then the OP posts something pretty reasonable and more than most do..."Yes the boat is diesel and I plan to have the fuel polished or replaced and then the tank treated. Fuel guy seems to know what to use on not to use. Also bringing extra filters was well as belts and impellers. This boat has twin 62 HP perkins. If anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear. " Twins with good fuel, filters and spare parts. The intracoastal is pretty forgiving to twins...easy to get someplace for help.

Then he posts...". I suspect a realistic cruise speed is 6 miles per hour. Can I do 10 hrs per day and get 60 miles. That is what I am planning but there is this little voice in my head saying "No NO NO" more like 40 miles per day????? " Which to me he IS thinkg pretty clearly and thoroughly compared to the guy who thinks he's gonna make 100 days in a 36 Trawler that's not a go fast tug.

He also posts..."I am relatively knew to boating (third year) My first experience was a 150 mile trip down the CT river and on to Buzzards Bay Mass. That was educational and a great trip. I expect the ICW will be the same. I am no stranger to trips of this sort since I have ferryed aircraft for people from tim to time. A lot of preplanning makes the trip safe, same as the ICW I suspect"

OK so he's a relative newbie but is punching all the right buttons so far except taking or hiring a really experienced person to go along...which is almost always a good idea as it can make the trip even more educational and fun.

Rushing? Maybe but out of many dreamers...that actually do something...this one seems to have it a lot mre together and a trip up the ICW should be challenging but hardly any more dangerous than a newbie boating in his home waters.

And he's here seeking advice....

Last edited:
My "go for it" comment was for the choice of trucking the boat or running the boat, I assumed he was buying the boat.

There are folks that do and folks that plan to do, my advice is to buy a boat from someone who is always getting ready to go but never goes, everything is perfect and with low hours. :socool:

Dreams should be attempted if things go wrong well then fix them, life will not wait for perfection and this is not a dress rehearsal.

I know many who are going slow at everything, right into their grave with unfulfilled dreams.

My rule is to ask myself whats the worst the can happen, if the answer is something that I can deal with then I go for it. Life ends and you take nothing with when you go, for me the worst thing is regrets.

So again this internet tard says "go for it" :dance:

:angel::angel::blush:

I did wonder if the broker had some concern about condition and therefore suggested trucking. Or hoped for a commission on the trucking. (Sorry for the cynicism). Or maybe he was concerned about buyer experience level for the trip home.
Hard to know, take care on the purchase, and the delivery trip. Takes time to know a boat, no matter how careful you are with pre purchase checks, give it a good workout, post purchase, pre trip.

So can I assume you bought your P40 sight unseen?:facepalm:

sigh.....

You may assume the moon is made of green cheese if you like :D

Go back and reread the first line in my post you quoted.:banghead:

The comment was on the transport of the boat, the OP is going about the purchase in the proper manner, you really can't be that dense so stop trolling.

To answer you're question, I purchase my boats using all common and necessary resources, something I try to do in all endeavors.

Last edited:
Thanks Psneeld,
I think you have got it straight. My schedule is as follows: the 29th I will get the first eyeball on the boat. My gut is telling me the pictures are less than 50% correct. I was sent a close up of the swim platform and found it showed what I would expect of a 1975 boat spending it's life in salt water. Teak that needs to be oiled or whatever is preferred and a little corrosion on chrome ladder. Also some staining of the deck / hull. I guess what I am saying is that the selling pictures looked great while the reality is a little different. That would not be a deal breaker but may be an indication that this boat is nothing special for its age. If the visual passes then all other tests will occur on the 30th. For the sale to happen, considering the distance and associated moving expenses , the ad regarding all electronics as well as, of course, the basic mechanics hull and deck condition need to be uncompromised. The draw to this boat as compared to one I looked at in New York is the added electronics such as relatively new model chart plotter, depth sounder, auto pilot, installed mast, boom, davits, microwave, TV, new 5KW generator, and misc other stuff. These along with some excellent pictures depicting an extremely clean vessel, bilge and interior are the draw. In the aircraft industry, it is many times preferred that the aircraft have little or very old electronics so the new owner can put in what he or she desires. This is of course if you can get the aircraft at the right price. In summary if this boat is great and all additions work well then it is worth the trip North. If everything isn't great then the New York vessel is looking better. I would have to pay a little more for the New York ship and it has nothing but a VHF radio in the flybridge. It doesn't even have a depth sounder. Also, not engine time logged or recorded but, I would be buying from the original owners. The biggest positive is it has always been in fresh water, I can add the electronics and cabin changes I would like, and the trip down the Erie and Hudson is very do-able as well as a great trip.

Thanks Psneeld,
I think you have got it straight. My schedule is as follows: the 29th I will get the first eyeball on the boat. My gut is telling me the pictures are less than 50% correct. I was sent a close up of the swim platform and found it showed what I would expect of a 1975 boat spending it's life in salt water. Teak that needs to be oiled or whatever is preferred and a little corrosion on chrome ladder. Also some staining of the deck / hull. I guess what I am saying is that the selling pictures looked great while the reality is a little different. That would not be a deal breaker but may be an indication that this boat is nothing special for its age. If the visual passes then all other tests will occur on the 30th. For the sale to happen, considering the distance and associated moving expenses , the ad regarding all electronics as well as, of course, the basic mechanics hull and deck condition need to be uncompromised. The draw to this boat as compared to one I looked at in New York is the added electronics such as relatively new model chart plotter, depth sounder, auto pilot, installed mast, boom, davits, microwave, TV, new 5KW generator, and misc other stuff. These along with some excellent pictures depicting an extremely clean vessel, bilge and interior are the draw. In the aircraft industry, it is many times preferred that the aircraft have little or very old electronics so the new owner can put in what he or she desires. This is of course if you can get the aircraft at the right price. In summary if this boat is great and all additions work well then it is worth the trip North. If everything isn't great then the New York vessel is looking better. I would have to pay a little more for the New York ship and it has nothing but a VHF radio in the flybridge. It doesn't even have a depth sounder. Also, not engine time logged or recorded but, I would be buying from the original owners. The biggest positive is it has always been in fresh water, I can add the electronics and cabin changes I would like, and the trip down the Erie and Hudson is very do-able as well as a great trip.

Thanks...just a realist for many things.

My boat was a POS compared to the 2-5 year old selling pictures. And as I said a lot of stuff wasn't working...liked clogged sanitation lines...and didn't really know it....but then a gain....while most things on a boat are luxuries, if they don't work...you can work around them on an intracoastal cruise.

As long as you are flexible, have cash or credit cards to make substantial repairs along the way (you'll probably do them sooner or later anyway)...then a intracoastal trip is nothing more than a bunch of day sails (or test runs) stitched together that require a little more planning but not a lot if you have a few bucks to spare, relax and enjoy the trip for what it is.

Sometimes where you break downalong the trip is closer to better repair facilities than where you bought the boat.:thumb:

But one caveat I do have to say...I knew what I was getting into in terms of boat and trip...having done it many times and being pretty experienced in all other areas....so tread lightly and really if you can sit down with or take along someone that has the experience in both if you can...as I said it may make the trip a whole lot better.

Last edited:
The adve ture begins. Yesterday we left Hartford at 7 AM and arrived Miami 2:55 PM. After a quick bite to eat we headed to Manatee Bay where the Gulfstar had been previously moved for our first look at. The plan was if nothing like pictures and a definate no go, we would cancel the survey and every thing was off. I expected the pictures to be much better than the actual boat. I was somewhat pleased. The vessel itself looked pretty good. The teak as I expected had been let go. That I think is good. It seemed solid and now I can finish in what evey way I desire. Wife was not that pleased but she expected a turn key vessel and found something that needs some interior picking up and cleaning but admits a day of cleaning and throwing out we would be ok. I still have some reservations but not enought to call everything off. As example, the AC do not work. Probably need charging. But why? In any case we scheduled the survey. Tuesday survey, and sea trial. Any major mechanical issues will be a deal stopper. We have the title search done and eveything is set for a trip up the ICW if all is well with the vessel.

My plan, do visual, followed by survey and sea trial. If all is well, do paperwork and head up the ICW.

You may want to consider change the above order: (1) visual inspection, (2) sea trial, (3) in-water survey, (4) haul out to complete survey of bottom. Why this order? Items 1 and 2 cost you nothing but time. Proceed on to the expensive items 3 and 4 only after she has passed 1 and 2. Might save yourself some dinero! Good luck.

Whatever you do, make sure you "cost" everything. Like the AC. Don't assume that it can be fixed just by charging. A new unit may be $2k. Make sure there is enough value in the boat to recover that $2k...regardless of what it will actually cost you to fix it. IOW, worst case scenario "costing"!!!

The adventure begins. . . .
In any case we scheduled the survey. Tuesday survey, and sea trial. Any major mechanical issues will be a deal stopper. We have the title search done and everything is set for a trip up the ICW if all is well with the vessel.

Probably at this point you have pretty much received all the advice that you want/need. :) So please keep us posted on the survey, and if you start the trip up the ICW we would be very interested in how that goes also.

I bought a 1973 Gulfstar over on the East Coast of Florida about 10 months ago, and brought it over here (Northwest Florida). A hose blew about halfway through the trip, causing the port engine to badly overheat. But other than that, all went smooth, and I love the boat.

John

The boat was built in 1975 so it is now 38 years old. I would suggest to the buyer of any boat over 25 years old to plan on a few days at the minimum for shake down and repairs. I plan a week after survey just to find out what needs to be fixed and to figure out who will pay for it. I do not like my clients to get a fixed amount credit for a repair, they always seem to be more than estimated. If the seller promotes the boat as having air conditioning then it should work or he should fix it.

The adventure continues. The survey and sea trial went extremely well. The boat was hauled, hull and running gear cleaned of all growth and carefully inspected. To the surprise of myself, broker, surveyor, and marina personnel, no blisters. The decks were also very sold and no sign of water intrusion. The survey seemed to be extremely thorough. Between the sea trial and survey we were on the boat from 8AM till about 6PM. Surveyor was great. He explained everything he was doing and made many recommendations for future reference to minimize the possibility of any future problems in certain areas. Even thought the survey went great that does not mean there weren't some issues. Many were minor like the anchor light was not working the lens when opened up to check bulb broke. The lenses on the nav lights were also crazed. One of the heads needs the pump rebuilt. There were a dozen or so minor issues none deal breakers or even from my standpoint negotiable. There were two negotiable issues that are in fact being checked today. The first was the two Ac units. There are two crusair units. One blew some cold air but not enough of a temperature drop and the other blew ambient. I have a marine AC guy inspecting today. (Inspect , charge, check for leaks) I am aware the Freon escaped for some reason. The second that is also being checked is the refrigerator, it also would not get cold in the time we tried it. These are not deal stoppers but certainly price negotiable. Today I am at a business meeting, Hope to get results from the AC guy. Tomorrow a fuel person is scheduled to polish fuel and in general get the fuel system ready for the 1800 mile or so trip planned up to Massachusetts. While this is being done the marina is replacing impellers inspecting and or adjusting belts as needed and my wife and I will be dealing with the dozen or so minor issues and stocking for the journey. We are planning on making the trip in sections with the first only about 5 to 7 days long. With three or so more 10 day sections we hope to make Massachusetts by mid to late September.

I admit to not having read the whole string, but one consideration if you are thinking about trucking is whether your vessel will need to be partly disassembled to meet highway height limits once loaded on the truck. Not familiar with your boat, so may not be an issue.

The adventure continues. The survey and sea trial went extremely well.... We are planning on making the trip in sections with the first only about 5 to 7 days long. With three or so more 10 day sections we hope to make Massachusetts by mid to late September.
Congratulations, turned out better than you expected, especially for an older boat. Have a good trip home, maybe a little shakedown cruise first.

08/01/13
"A Good Bad Rollercoaster"
As planned both the fuel guy and AC man arrived to perform their magic. The bad news is that both the refrigerator and the two AC units are junk. The good news is the fuel tank is extremely clean and the fuel polished without a problem. The AC man was also a marine mechanic and I had him replace the fuel filters, belts and impellers. The fuel filters were not very dirty nor were the belts extremely worn. The impellers on the other hand were in need of replacement. While replacing the impellers it was discovered that the pumps are not Perkins but instead Sherwood and the backing plates were badly worn. The good news is the pumps are available and it appears the plates can be bought separately. He was also able to get the pumps to pump in spite of the worn plates. The bad news is we were so anxious to get going we started the cleaning process as well as other "get underway procedures" prior to discovering the faulty equipment and therefore lost all bargaining power associated with the final price of the vessel. The estimated replacement cost of the faulty AC, including 3 air handlers, and refrigerator is around $12,000. I would have been very happy with a $6000 reduction in price but expected somewhere around $3000 or $4000. The bad news is the owner allowed $1000 and said "he would rather donate the boat to the Coast Guard rather than reduce the price". Good news, he allowed $1000 and included a good quality dingy with hooks attached to use with the davits mounted on the swim platform. I estimate the dingy to have had at least a $2000 plus price tag on it when new and this dingy looked very new. The Dingy is larger, and much better than my present. We had purchased and were planning on picking up a West Marine two person Kayak today we will be able to get credit, this is good.
I spent most of the day helping with the cleaning of which Denise is really into and fixing some minor issues such as trying to find a way to secure a fresh water line that kept coming free. Sounds simple but I believe the copper tube is some odd dimension. I was planning on putting a compression fitting on the copper and the a barb fitting for the soft plastic tube with hose camps. The copper was too large for 3/8 and too small for 1/2 compression. Ended up putting a slight flare on the copper and clamps behind the flare. Good news, it works. Also minor repair to the anchor / windlass and anchor light. All good. Closed, insured, and closer to departure. Tomorrow we will finish cleaning and stocking for either a late afternoon or early morning departure.

"A Good Bad Rollercoaster"

Well, with a used boat like that, everything that you said is not really unexpected. Having both sold one and bought one within the past year, I know that when I sold my Allied Mistress I was shocked to find out all the things that were wrong (when the survey was done). Guess I had lived with them for so long, and did work arounds if necessary, that I kind of took them for granted. So the PO of your boat may be in a similar situation.

And the dinghy deal sounds good. Your view of looking upon that as part of the price reduction is probably wise.

Anyway, keep us posted. Your accounts are fascinating!

John

Congrats on your purchase! The boat sounds pretty good. We're looking forward to following your trip North. We're still shaking down and fixing things as we find them. It's never ending, but rewarding. Finally got the windlass working, and going out today to practice our anchoring procedures away from the dock gawkers. Best of luck on your journey.

Sounds like you're having fun and that's the name of the game. Try not to loose sleep as to the setup cost we all have been there it's just part of making it yours.

Remember to take time out, enjoy the stars, sip some wine, watch the sunset... no really watch it for an hour beginning to end.

Have fun, enjoy the trip, and for what its worth we are here if ya need us. :facepalm:

Have you joined (free) www.activecaptain.com?

Regards,

Sounds like you are happily engaged in your new boat.

Yes, Perkins uses Sherwood raw water pumps. They're very good pumps, but the parts can sometimes be difficult to find on short notice, our West Marine store doesn't carry them.

In my area only one store carries any Sherwood parts and what I can't buy from them, I buy through internet stores. Be sure and carry some spares.

Best of luck
Larry B

Back
Top Bottom