Looking for Aussie contributors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billleavey

I have just joined the trawler boat forum as I am looking to buy a trawler type boat. Wondering if there are any Ausies as I have only seen posts from yanks. Not that I am bothered by that, I have found all the posts interesting and informative. But I need some local support to help me make the right decisions.

Yes, there are a bunch of us on the forum. We are easy to spot, we are the suave, good looking, highly intelligent members. :D

It might help if you provided a bit more information. things like where you intend to use the boat, how much money you have to play with, experience, any kids involved, etc. Try to formulate a specific set of questions, rather than a 'what do you think guys' approach.

One thing you can be sure of here is there will no shortage of opinions to your questions

Welcome to the active and growing Aussie group. I`m sure you will continue to gain good information from the Forum.
How did you find us? There are many willing to help, here and in USA, as you explore the questions that concern you.

hehehehehe that's so natural for us Proud Aussies :)

Cheers
Peter and Ronie B
Perth Western Australia
With our New R27 Ranger tug sitting on the wharf ready to be trucked to the sailing club tomorrow for electronic fitting, anti foul, etc ......:):)

hehehehehe that's so natural for us Proud Aussies :)

Cheers
Peter and Ronie B
Perth Western Australia
With our New R27 Ranger tug sitting on the wharf ready to be trucked to the sailing club tomorrow for electronic fitting, anti foul, etc ......:):)

Hey Pete! The girls in Perth? Sweet! That was quick hey! Are you going to chuck up some pics? Be great to see some. Perhaps you could do a timeline of pics if you have any construction pics? Tho with the girl here now I suspect you'll be otherwise preoccupied lol :)

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Bill,
First step fill out your bio so we know who and where you are.
You know our feelings about "faceless men"
Plenty of local people on the forum with lots of expertise and willingness to help and give opinions.

Check out the cruising down under section and the anchoring section for some of the Aussie input.
Welcome on board.
Cheers
Benn

Bill, good place to start for Aussie members is to keep an eye on the cruising and events Downunder board under the Cruising and Events heading. We are down there second from bottom listing. But you will see our posts all over the forum.
Welcome aboard from Brisbane. As others have asked, where are you based?

Also, as Benn mentioned, and I extend this plea on behalf of the other forum mods to all members, please go into user CP =user control panel, and fill out your details as much as you are comfortable with, especially where you are based, and vessel details.

Last edited:
Let me be the first Yank to say hi. May not be from Oz but have plenty of friends who are :)

Yes, there are a bunch of us on the forum. We are easy to spot, we are the suave, good looking, highly intelligent members. :D

It might help if you provided a bit more information. things like where you intend to use the boat, how much money you have to play with, experience, any kids involved, etc. Try to formulate a specific set of questions, rather than a 'what do you think guys' approach.

One thing you can be sure of here is there will no shortage of opinions to your questions

You think, I thought it was us Kiwi's that were the suave good looking, intelligent ones .... but maybe I am wrong :thumb:

Bill,
First step fill out your bio so we know who and where you are.
You know our feelings about "faceless men"
Plenty of local people on the forum with lots of expertise and willingness to help and give opinions.

Check out the cruising down under section and the anchoring section for some of the Aussie input.
Welcome on board.
Cheers
Benn

Hey Benn, thanks for your input.
It took me a few days to sort out this site and found that the I pad app isn't too good for entering details about self.
Anyway, I am looking at a Mainship 34 and a Nimbus 34. The mairship is a 2008 and the nimbus is 2006. Both are in excellent condition and similarly priced. My wife prefers the nimbus and I am not sure.
My intended use is for day trip cruising Gold Coast broadwater and Moreton bay islands with occasional over night stays. We may also take extended trips as we gain experience and confidence in our selected ship.
Does anyone have any pros & cons that May help with the decision?

Hi Bill
Welcome. Like you I'm new to TF have been looking for a while and doing lots of research on past treads. Look forward to catching out on the Broadwater and Morton Bay.
Cheers Doug

Hey Benn, thanks for your input.
It took me a few days to sort out this site and found that the I pad app isn't too good for entering details about self.
Anyway, I am looking at a Mainship 34 and a Nimbus 34. The mairship is a 2008 and the nimbus is 2006. Both are in excellent condition and similarly priced. My wife prefers the nimbus and I am not sure.
My intended use is for day trip cruising Gold Coast broadwater and Moreton bay islands with occasional over night stays. We may also take extended trips as we gain experience and confidence in our selected ship.
Does anyone have any pros & cons that May help with the decision?

Bill, if using an iPad, I find the safari browser easier to navigate round the boards and do stuff than the app.

As to the boats you are looking at, the Mainship is more like trawler style, the Nimbus more of a planing motor boat. They are Scandinavian designs, and most were/are brought in by Sven Magnusson, at Hope harbour. He's a nice chap, and I've used him as a broker a couple of times. Is that where you saw the Nimbus..?

Bill, how`s the search going?
I`ve seen Mainships online and on the water, nice finish, FB access. Nimbus seems a rare Finnish import,saw one in NSW on Lake Macquarie on boatpoint.com.au. There is little builder back up on most boats (maybe Riv, Palm Beach, Maritimo do) so buying a less common boat should not be an issue, provided mechanicals are procurable. Not many Storebro, also from Scandinavia, here either, but they have an ok reputation.
Looked at anything else? Integrity perhaps? Price range?

Does a yank living in Australia count?
Of course you count ITV11. Hang around and keep up with the Aussie bunch, aptly described above by Andy, so you are joining an 'elite' group here you know...
Meaning we have longer than usual toes from hanging on here downunder...have you noticed the blood rush to your head...does that makes us a bit 'batty'..?

Bill, how`s the search going?
I`ve seen Mainships online and on the water, nice finish, FB access. Nimbus seems a rare Finnish import,saw one in NSW on Lake Macquarie on boatpoint.com.au. There is little builder back up on most boats (maybe Riv, Palm Beach, Maritimo do) so buying a less common boat should not be an issue, provided mechanicals are procurable. Not many Storebro, also from Scandinavia, here either, but they have an ok reputation.
Looked at anything else? Integrity perhaps? Price range?

Hi Bruce, thanks for your input. We are going to Newcastle next week to look at the Nimbus you spotted. We have been looking at it on the net for a couple of weeks. All reports are that it's a great ship in v g condition. The vendor is prepared to help me sail it back to The Gold Coast which will be a real adventure for me and a great way to gain open water experience.
We have seen the Integrity but not too keen. I think the build quality is not as good as I would like.

FWIW, i don't think the Nimbus layout/deck arrangement is really suited to Australian cruising conditions...too much "indoor" not enough 'outdoor' space. Agree with your assessment of the Integrity line. Mainships are a safe bet.

FWIW, i don't think the Nimbus layout/deck arrangement is really suited to Australian cruising conditions...too much "indoor" not enough 'outdoor' space. Agree with your assessment of the Integrity line. Mainships are a safe bet.

Thanks aqua bell, I will take that into account. I am looking at a 34 Nimbus Commander next week which will be my first actual time on a Nimbus. Life style aboard is a major consideration as well as comfort for my 1st mate.
From what I have heard, the build quality is second to none and there are many other factors to be considered. Fortunately we are not in a rush and will take our time and continue our research.

I think you Aussies are a wild bunch because the water swirls down the drain the wrong way when you flush.:nonono:

Either that or I am wrong.:flowers:

SD

Bill, let us know how the Nimbus inspection goes. Should be nice on Lake Macquarie this weekend.
With Integrity, I saw the issue as more finish level than construction.
The Alaska, from up your way, is in a different price range. Looks like a trawler but will plane. I wish they had a semi displacement hull and less power.

That "red right returning" and "red right rising" become so ingrained up here that when back down under in the Bay of Islands recently it felt so unnatural for "red right leaving"

Thats why those adjustable red green guides that some use on their helm are so helpful at times.

Barco Sin Vela: YES ! My farm is at Wingham, my beach house is at Black Head! Up there every week...though not with the boat. What is your connection with Forster-Tuncurry??

Intervale II: actually Red to Red Returning is the International standard...it is the USA that is the odd-man-out, I think.

Sorry, how are you different regarding military time standards?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom