converting basic engine data perkins 4-107 to nema 2000

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wndsnd

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Largo
Vessel Make
Fales Caribe 30
Has anyone done this to take advantage of the new multi function displays being offered? Does someone make a bkack box that we can send our oil pressure and water temp info to that converts it to nema 2000 format? I dont know if their might be other info I would like like fuel consumption data etc.

The. New raymarine a series mfd's look interesting

I have a Garmin 5212 MFD, and have installed a Maretron NEMA 2000 trunk line from my fly bridge to the engine room with "tees" for drops at various points in between. I am looking at a converter from NoLand Engineering to convert analog signals from my 1990 model Cat's to NEMA 2000 protocol. I think it is called an RS-11 converter, and should supply enough inputs to monitor basic vitals from two engines. Not sure about the fuel flow. Suggest you look them up and give them a call. I installed a Maretron Triducer with NEMA 2000 output, connected to the trunk line, and the Garmin MFD reads and displays each function of the traducer very well. Hope that helps.

I installed a Noland Engineering RS11 (~$280) that converts analog gauge voltages used for needle deflection to a digital value corresponding to a particular reading and then outputs NMEA 2000 sentences for display on my Lowrance MFD and a Lowrance LMF400 gauge. It will output RPM, battery voltage, coolant temperature, oil pressure as well as other engine values and has enough inputs to handle the basics on two engines. It gets the voltage right from the gauge so installation is not that difficult. Seems to work fine so far.

Tom

I installed a Noland Engineering RS11 (~$280) that converts analog gauge voltages used for needle deflection to a digital value corresponding to a particular reading and then outputs NMEA 2000 sentences for display on my Lowrance MFD and a Lowrance LMF400 gauge. It will output RPM, battery voltage, coolant temperature, oil pressure as well as other engine values and has enough inputs to handle the basics on two engines. It gets the voltage right from the gauge so installation is not that difficult. Seems to work fine so far.

Wow. Yeah, I want one!

Thanks for posting!

The Noland looks to be just the product I am looking for. How About if I run two MFD's, will I need two RS 11's or will the MSD's interface each other?

Thanks
John

John, the RS11 feeds into your NMEA bus, you should be able to have 2 or more MFDs displaying the data off that.

Doing a little poking around, I found one poster over on another forum who had problems with the RS11 because it depended on 2 voltage set points for each sensor, but of course the "base" voltage is not always the same (depending on the state of charge of the batteries, for example.) Not sure how much of an issue this is, maybe something to ask the NoLand tech support folks before purchasing.

The voltage set points correspond to the key on voltage and meter reading and then the engine running voltage and meter reading. You can actually correct for a faulty meter reading by changing the running voltage. For example my temp gauge reads 185 while an infrared thermometer shows the water jacket temp of 170. I adjusted the voltage to read 170.

Tom

I like that!

All good stuff!

Tom

Hi tpbrady,

I'm considering one of these units. How does it connect to the [existing, analogue] gauges?

I looked it up on their website. It's pretty cool. Wiring connections are connected at the existing gauges/ tach.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom