LOA including swim step to anchor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshillam

Guru
Vessel Name
Our Heaven
Vessel Make
1997 4800 Navigator
My wife and I are looking seriously to purchase a trawler, (using that term losely) and have been told at the harbor max length is 35' from swim to anchor with no further over hang. I looked at the slips yesterday and saw a GB 32 which must fit. I am wondering other models that would also meet that length.
Californian 34 LRC?
IG 32 ( I assume would but would like clarification)
We are looking for a very traditional vessel, the go fast sleek Bayliner look doesn't appeal to us. Other thoughts? Our budget is going to max about 70ish.

Californian 34 should come off that list. Not certain loa but FlyWright's fills a 40 foot berth quite nicely.

Yup...strike the 34 Californian off your list. My LOA is 36'8" or something like that...maybe 36' 10". I have an anchor pulpit and a swim step.

I wouldn't be buying a boat to fit a slip unless there are no other marinas within an hours drive.

My choice is to be able to use the boat regularly and with Bellingham being just over ten minutes away it makes sense to me. Plenty of 35' or less boats would work for a family of three.

George Buehler designed the Diesel Duck 34 because: "I had thought that the original 38 DUCK was as small as the concept could be but recently I had to reconsider. A guy down in Mississippi told me he loved the 38, but, since Katrina took out the coast, most of the rebuilt marinas have a firm 35' overall maximum length rule. That includes pulpits, davits, etc. Why I don't know. Possibly to make it easier to bulldoze up the ruble after the next hurricane? He wondered if the DUCK could be made smaller."

Diesel Duck 34

Most marinas do charge by LOA including swim platform and bow pulpit. However, when a boat is described as an IG 32, or an MT 34, it most often refers to Length on Deck. So virtually all boats have an addition 2 to 5 feet to get from LOD to LOA. So if your slip is truly limited to 35', then you are limited to around a 32' boat or smaller. Surely in the B'ham area, there are marinas with slips bigger than 35'.

Where is Marin when you really need him?

Bshillam,
Are you 10 minutes south, or north? Have you looked at Laconner? It's the best $ deal in NW washington (covered slips at the price of open in Bellingham) and a wonderful community, town. Good luck on your search. You may want to look at a GB 32 or a Taiwan (CHB) 30-32 sedan to hit that 35 LOA mark. Good luck.

La Conner is about forty minutes+ away. I am on the Eastside of Bellingham close to Lake Whatcom.

Bshillam

I recommend you punch up Seattle CL and place Tollycraft on search feature. :D

34' Sedan and tri cabin Tolly can easily have their short pulpit modified (if one even exists on a particular Tolly boat) and, if marina still squawks about 0AL being just a couple inches over 35' cause of swim step... that too can be overcome relatively easily by hinging the swim step to transom and having pull-up lines affixed. :thumb:

You should go aboard a few good condition Tolly - they grow on ya quickly and in general their build-out was exceptional. As with any production boat builder, no matter how well the builder constructed their models over decades, different year Tolly have different qualities/quirks. :speed boat:

Best to join Tolly Forum if you get serious on looking at Tollycraft... search feature has thousands of archived threads and posts with many answers. Also, place a question on a new thread and there usually will be more than one Tolly Guru ready to supply qualified answers to help you. We Tollycraft owners band together to assist each other as well as to help new Tolly owners... being that we are a pretty tight clique... :hello:

Best Luck, in whatever you do!

Happy Boating Daze! :dance:

Art

Length over all--LOA--is measured from the fore part of the stem to the after part of the stern along the centerline, EXCLUDING any projections that are not part of the hull such as the bowsprit or swim platform (unless it is a molded part of the hull).--Chapman

Length over all--LOA--is measured from the fore part of the stem to the after part of the stern along the centerline, EXCLUDING any projections that are not part of the hull such as the bowsprit or swim platform (unless it is a molded part of the hull).--Chapman

Captain K - That's correct... regarding registration and other “official” measurement purposes for a boat. However... for dockage slip needs and resulting fees marinas often calculate boat length by adding any appendage on bow or stern to the official LOA, i.e. pulpits, anchor extensions, swim steps... etc. This is sometimes called OAL - Over All Length; as marinas figure what slip your boat needs to be sure and not have appendages sticking out water end of slip in the way of passing boats or in the way of dock walkers on the other end of slip.

Last edited:
Give me a call (3607521741). We're in Bellingham also and just went through the same exercise for our 36 foot slip. For trawler style vessels you could look at the Nordic Tug 32 or the Camano 31. We chose a Camano but then there are only two of us and our really long trip summers are of the past.
Tom

However... for dockage slip needs and resulting fees marinas often calculate boat length by adding any appendage on bow or stern to the official LOA, i.e. pulpits, anchor extensions, swim steps... etc.
That's the way it is in my marina.:blush:

That's the way it is in my marina.:blush:

Walt

Tiz a bitch for us boat owners to have to pay even more of a slip-fee than our registered LOA! - - > i.e. the marina’s OAL - LOL :lol:

But truthfully, it really is the correct way for marinas to calc costs/expenses as well as to insure safety for berthed boats, water born boats, and dock walking pedestrians. Be a real bitch for all parties concerned to have a swim step or dink and davits ripped off by a passing craft... or God forbid... an eye punctured by an anchor’s or pulpit’s protrusion while dock walking. So far as end dock tie-ups; the money for marina is in every foot of dock used.

Around here slips usually come in the 30, 35, 40... multiples of “5”. That way we’re not paying for the marina's actual OAL of our craft... but usually just a bit more so our boat really fits fully in the slip. Our 34 LOA Tolly measures a marina’s OAL at 37’6”. We rent 40’ or longer berths. :thumb:

Happy Boating Daze!:speed boat:

PS: BTW Walt, how's your boat's eng temp doing?? Ever get opp to try Syn-oil for comparison to Dino-oil for temp reasons?

Last edited:
PS: BTW Walt, how's your boat's eng temp doing?? Ever get opp to try Syn-oil for comparison to Dino-oil for temp reasons?
My engine continues to run at 192 at all settings above 1800rpm. It cools slightly at idle but seems to be happy at those temps. Yes, I'm coming up on an oil change (most likely this fall) and fully intend to try the synthetic. I will keep the Forum posted.

Captain K - That's correct... regarding registration and other “official” measurement purposes for a boat. However... for dockage slip needs and resulting fees marinas often calculate boat length by adding any appendage on bow or stern to the official LOA, i.e. pulpits, anchor extensions, swim steps... etc. This is sometimes called OAL - Over All Length; as marinas figure what slip your boat needs to be sure and not have appendages sticking out water end of slip in the way of passing boats or in the way of dock walkers on the other end of slip.

Sadly true. Funny story...some years ago I signed a contract with a marina for a slip. The contract used the term LOA, which it did not define. I challenged the marina later when they tried to slap me with back fees charging for my bowsprit which was 4 feet long. Our disagreement went to arbitration, as the contract stipulated. I was able to convince the arbitrator to consider Chapman's definition of LOA as coming from a reputable and unbiased source. I also presented identical USCG definitions from 46 CFR. She, the arbitrator, ruled in my favor. The marina owners later amended their contracts. It sometimes helps to know the facts rather than what everybody thinks are facts. The boating world is rife with such misconceptions. Marina owners are no exception.

Sadly true. Funny story...some years ago I signed a contract with a marina for a slip. The contract used the term LOA, which it did not define. I challenged the marina later when they tried to slap me with back fees charging for my bowsprit which was 4 feet long. Our disagreement went to arbitration, as the contract stipulated. I was able to convince the arbitrator to consider Chapman's definition of LOA as coming from a reputable and unbiased source. I also presented identical USCG definitions from 46 CFR. She, the arbitrator, ruled in my favor. The marina owners later amended their contracts. It sometimes helps to know the facts rather than what everybody thinks are facts. The boating world is rife with such misconceptions. Marina owners are no exception.

:thumb: Good Job!

Many a slip twixt the cup and the lip!

I guess I'm lucky. I pay for a 42' boat. The GB is called a 42 and that is what I said when I moved in. I have a 45' slip and I hang out about 3 feet They don't say a word.

But this is Los Angeles. We be cool. :socool::socool::socool:

I guess I'm lucky. I pay for a 42' boat. The GB is called a 42 and that is what I said when I moved in. I have a 45' slip and I hang out about 3 feet They don't say a word.

But this is Los Angeles. We be cool. :socool::socool::socool:

Capthead - Me no Comprendeaaaa??

You have 42' GB that hangs out 3' in a 45' slip... you either has a bunch o' l-o-n-g peripheries on bow and stern (anchor-pulpit / dink-in-davits??) that take up to 6’ extra beyond your 42’ LOA or you b-leave-n bunches of room between boat end and dock-walk planks.

BTW: They charge you for 45’ as per the slip’s length or for 42’ per your boat’s LOA? :confused:

PS: You see post today where Walt mentioned his oil change is on the horizon and he will use Syn-oil to measure engine temp variation (if any occurs) as compared to Dino-oil? I’m very interested to see his report when this base-level “blind-engine test” gets underway! We bantered back and forth about this to a near-death on another thread! :rofl:

Art, I've never measured my boat but it is longer stem to stern than 42'. I replaced the swim step and bought a deeper one by almost a foot. Probably 10". The anchor pulpit is stock and maybe 18" but that's my guess.

I did see that post and I'm looking forward to seeing his results.

Oh, I've been there for over 30 years and some things I got away with like them only charging me for the boat length and I very well know if I came new now that wouldn't happen. I am lucky with that.

Art
Like many others, I hang a dinghy on davits behind my transom. that alone adds over 6' to overall length. At the other end, I have a bowsprit and the anchor overhangs it, so add another 18". My 44 (LOA) now occupies about 51'. I rarely go to commercial docks, but when I do, I usually get charged for 44'. The rates seem to build in the end extras.
My home port is a private Yacht club, where the rate is calculated at the greater of boat or slip length, including the full width of the dinghy and the full length of the anchor overhang. Since my shelter is longer than all of that, I simply get charged the 55' of the shelter.

Last edited:
When I first got into surveying I had occasional disagreements with clients about how much they were being charged. Most surveyors charge by the foot of length.

I quickly discovered that the model name (most cases) has nothing to do with the length of the boat (differences of up to 5-6') and started actually measuring them .... still disagreements.

I now charge by whatever LOA is published by the mfg.. I still get disagreements as some mfg's include bow platforms, some swim platforms and some both. At least I have a simple, hard and fast rule that clients are made aware of before the fact.

My "Trendsetter 40" is 47.5' according to one marina, 43.5' by another and 40' by a third.

Last edited:
I think very bad things of you guys sticking out into the fairway OR the walkway. HOW RUDE.

And the idea that it's cool to "get away w stuff" like cheating and not getting caught is little kid stuff. Not quite disgusting but very disrespectful. Taking others peoples space and causing them inconvenience or worse is not cute ... it's rude.

And I disrespect the marinas that look the other way and don't protect courteous and respectful clients ... their space and their safety.

There's more but I've probably been critical enough.

Eric

Perhaps I misunderstand your post, but...
At Discovery harbour marina in Campbell river, for example, They ask you to radio ahead for a slip. In the radio interview they ask only what is the kind and length of your boat, "power 44, occupying 50' overall" is my request. They assign me a slip, meet me there, and charge me for 44'.
Most commercial marinas in my cruising waters do likewise.
No slip assignment has ever had me in a spot that protrudes into the fairway.

Only Port Hardy (in my experience) ever tried to put a 61 ft (overall) friend of mine into a 57 ft (reported on VHF when making the reservation) side tie, where there was literally only 57 ft available.

The Coot can't decide how long it is. On the electrical panel it is identified as "Coot 35." On the builder's website it is described as both 35 and 36 feet long, as well as a more precise 35'8". With the swimstep folded up and adding the bow pulpit it adds up to a total length of 38+ feet.

img_168426_0_0e0213846d0a41dae7a46187e5a4be45.jpg

My boat is over 40' but the CG document says 36'. When we go to Catalina I show the mooring guy my documentation and pay for 36'. As for slip sizing, our yacht club marina allows for 3' under and 5' over the size of the slip.

And I disrespect the marinas that look the other way and don't protect courteous and respectful clients ... their space and their safety.

Wife and I looked at a marina recently anticipating moving there. Upon inspecting we rejected it from future consideration because they allowed pulpits and anchors to extend into walkways. Wife turned around and took a Danforth crossbar to the forehead returning to the access plank in low light conditions.

I agree that overhanging ones berth is discourteous to others.

Thanks Craig,

If it's a private marina they should be able to charge whatever they want for whatever reasons but a public marina should have all their ducks lined up in the best interest of the people.

I'm proud to announce that our boat is exactly 30' long w no extensions whatever on either end and our slip is 30' long as well. That's one of the many reasons we don't have a swim step or bow pulpit. Moorage down here is way too expensive.

In Alaska we had a 50'and a 37' slip. We left the 50' slip because someone came along w a 47' boat. I utilized the longer slips by tying our 16' skiff in the same slip.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom