CHB Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jnvoss

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Gray Eagle
Vessel Make
1985 35" CHB
I am about to trade my sailboat for a 1985 35' CHB Trawler. She has twin Yanmars and will initially be sailed in a large lake in Texas while I get her ready for Florida and/or the Loop. I need some experienced input. I am experienced in boating but primarily with sailboats with small inboard diesels.

Questions:
1. What do I need to be cautious of in a CHB? What are their issues?
2. Not to start the twins vs single discussion, but I had been leaning toward a single, but the economics of this situation are making me rethink my single position. Right now, the twins are the only negative on the boat. (of course have not had the survey yet) Any input on twins and the issues I will be dealing with.
3. What about Yanmar? Good, bad, ugly?????????
4. Are there any major deal breakers I should be looking for?

Would really appreciate any input from CHB 35 owners...as well as all of you experienced captains.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Thanks
James

I am about to trade my sailboat for a 1985 35' CHB Trawler. She has twin Yanmars and will initially be sailed in a large lake in Texas while I get her ready for Florida and/or the Loop. I need some experienced input. I am experienced in boating but primarily with sailboats with small inboard diesels.

Questions:
2. Not to start the twins vs single discussion, but I had been leaning toward a single, but the economics of this situation are making me rethink my single position. Right now, the twins are the only negative on the boat. (of course have not had the survey yet) Any input on twins and the issues I will be dealing with.

Would really appreciate any input from CHB 35 owners...as well as all of you experienced captains.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Thanks
James

I purchased our boat last year and like any boat it has awesome things about it and it has problems. It is 30 years old. Get a survey! There is a very active CHB group on yahoo. You might ask there as well. Our boat is moored on a dock full of Taiwan trawlers and people are very passionate about their own boat. I know we have a lot of fun on the boat and it is our dream boat. Good luck and I think you will find many happy CHB owners.

Here is a link to a CHB buying guide that covers a huge amount about CHB's. we discovered this when we were looking at them a few years ago. Good info.

CHB BUYERS GUIDE

We looked for leaking windows, decks and rusty fuel tanks from leaking windows. Plus many other items to consider. Liked the 35's much better than the 34's.

Hi James.

Just got an '81 CHB 45 with twin Lehman 120's in Feb. I can only share that limited experience in responding to your questions.

The biggest things for us is leaks and associated delamination, and fuel tanks in less than satisfactory condition. There is alot of work required for us to stop these leaks and repair the impact of those leaks. Other than that, I think we have the normal issues related to age. For us that includes some work to heads, electrical, batteries, teak finish, steering, shaft packing, fuel tanks and electronics.

Again, my personal experience is that the maintenance cost is double but the maneuverability in great and necessary in the tight confines of our covered slip. Of course, if you have a bow thruster, this isn't relevant.

We have a Yanmar genset, which is great. But as mentioned, we have Lehmans for power.

I can't answer this well. For me, it would depend on your skill level across multiple disciplines, and/or your wallet.

Good luck!

I've had my CHB 42 Europa for coming up on two years now. She's been a blast getting to know and tinker with. I have the FL120's and they've been great. She's big, heavy and slow. Built like a tank and has a few window leaks that need to be dealt with eventually, but otherwise a great boat for a 33 year old boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom