Dockage Rates question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

993guy

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
No name either
Vessel Make
No boat yet
Can someone explain this to me? I got it from the marina's web site:

The Conch House Marina Resort St. Augustine Florida

It doesn't make sense to me that it would be cheaper to rent for a year than a month unless the annual rate is based on a per-month for 1 year and if so is that a common way of advertising your dockage rates?

Marina Dockage Rates
Rate Schedule
Dockage per foot
Daily $2.25
Weekly $11.50
Monthly $17.50
Annual $14.50

Can someone explain this to me? I got it from the marina's web site:

The Conch House Marina Resort St. Augustine Florida

It doesn't make sense to me that it would be cheaper to rent for a year than a month unless the annual rate is based on a per-month for 1 year and if so is that a common way of advertising your dockage rates?

Marina Dockage Rates
Rate Schedule
Dockage per foot
Daily $2.25
Weekly $11.50
Monthly $17.50
Annual $14.50

I think you will find that the annual rate is per foot per month.

:iagree:

If you sign a contract for 1 year, your monthly rate will be $14.50 per foot. If you want to rent month to month, it's $17.50 per foot per month.

Thanks, now to figure out the range of rates. I'm suspecting the Conch House is on the higher end of the scale (not counting the Miami/Palm Beach areas).

On a similar vein, do they typically charge for the size of the slip you are in or is it strictly on the length of your boat? For instance you have a 45' boat but they only have a 50' slip are you charged for 45 or 50'?

Edit:
Yeah, here's the way Burnt Store Marina in Punta Gorda lists their rates, this makes sense to uneducated me.

Wet Slips: (35’ minimum for all except daily)
Daily $1.75 per foot/day (30’ minimum)
Weekly $8.00 per foot/week
Monthly $16.50 per foot/month + electric
Annual $12.50 per foot/month + electric

http://www.burntstoremarina.com/deepwaterslips.htm#.UeQeIVOqSbM

Last edited:
Their price is very high for this area.

I'm on a 6 month lease, 40' floating dock with twin 30's and tax for $553. in Halifax in Daytona.

The main selling point for boaters at the Conch House Marina is it’s proximity to the inlet. That’s important to the charter sport fishing boats based there, and it’s the driving force for the high rates.

It’s a poor choice in a storm.

If staying in St. Augustine is important to you then check out the marinas on the San Sebastine river - they are cheaper and offer much better protection. As a side benefit they are also closer to downtown.

I realize that you did not ask about the marina itself, but since you are in Nashville I thought I‘d throw out a little local knowledge from a life long FL east coast resident.

If you’re not wedded to St Aug. then I’ll tell you where the best spot is to leave a unattended boat during hurricane season. Just ask.

Mike

If staying in St. Augustine is important to you then check out the marinas on the San Sebastine river - they are cheaper and offer much better protection. As a side benefit they are also closer to downtown.

Mike

Please tell me.

:)

The main selling point for boaters at the Conch House Marina is it’s proximity to the inlet. That’s important to the charter sport fishing boats based there, and it’s the driving force for the high rates.

It’s a poor choice in a storm.

I realize that you did not ask about the marina itself, but since you are in Nashville I thought I‘d throw out a little local knowledge from a life long FL east coast resident.

If you’re not wedded to St Aug. then I’ll tell you where the best spot is to leave a unattended boat during hurricane season. Just ask.

Mike
Mike, I'm not tied to any marina as I don't have a boat yet, I was just trying to understand the way dockage rates are posted. However, St. Augustine would be an area I would be happy to stay when I do get a boat. I was just looking at some of the marina rates from the links in
Marinas in Florida (FL) USA Page 6

When we were last in St Augustine in 2011 the city marina was great its a nice town and the bus tour was fun, although I remember the supermarket was a helluva hike.

Your question on dock charges, the marinas will usually charge the longer of the two either your LOA or your slip length.

In CA i know a guy who was measured for his slip in Alameda and it was on a sportfisher with long outriggers that raked back at about 45 degrees and hung over the stern. He was charged for the total length including overhang which can add up quickly on the monthly.

Just FYI

Capt Mike, is local and knows the St. Augustine area. For a long term stay I would probably opt for what I knew as Oyster Creek Marina on the San Sebastion River. I think it's called Rivers Edge Marina now. close to West Marine, groceries, and Sailors Exchange.

I think I could guess Capt Mike's hurricane hole, but I'm not talking.

Capt Mike, is local and knows the St. Augustine area. For a long term stay I would probably opt for what I knew as Oyster Creek Marina on the San Sebastion River. I think it's called Rivers Edge Marina now. close to West Marine, groceries, and Sailors Exchange.

Same spot where Hurricane Party's is located?

It’s not a secret - If you ask 10 Central FL boaters 7 of them will name the same place.

It’s at Harbortown Marina on the Canaveral barge canal. The name of the restaurant is Nautical Spirits.

BB29 knows where I’m speaking about since I sent him a PM - he’s a neighbor and might have a need for the info. I did not want to clutter up the OP’s thread with info he was not looking for.

Mike

Thanks, found their web site: River Edge Marina

Personally, I don't think these guys are downtown. You come in by the 312 bridge but you're not really close to Old City.

BB, it is not right in town, but walkable. Much closer than the Conch House. Just walk over to King Street and turn right. It's then about 4-5 blocks to town. Also the current on the San Sebastion can also be pretty wicked.

For a short stay you just can't beat the City Marina. However, it is expensive.

Oh yeah, Hurricane Patty's Restaurant is there.

Last edited:
BB, it is not right in town, but walkable. Much closer than the Conch House. Just walk over to King Street and turn right. It's then about 4-5 blocks to town. Also the current on the San Sebastion can also be pretty wicked.

For a short stay you just can't beat the City Marina. However, it is expensive.

Mooring ball and water taxi?

Every marina I have been to on the East coast charges by the foot of your boat, not the length of the slip. You can dock a 40 footer on a 30 foot slip, and vice versa.

Mooring ball and water taxi?

No, it's just a kind of middle of the road marina with or did have an oyster bar. The food in the restaurant was actually pretty good. No mooring ball or water taxi.

The municipal marina is by far the best and most convenient. The rest rooms and showers are tiled, clean and air conditioned. The lounge and laundry are is nice. Step off the dock, and your're right in the middle of town.

I spent a couple of months on the San Sebastion River at St. Augustine Marine, and Oasis Marina out fitting a boat. They are on Rivera Street. That was in '03 and "04. St Augustine is a great town. We rode our bikes everywhere. We moved over to the Municipal Marina for Christmas week with the family. Never in my wildest dreams did I think my 8 year old grandson would be starting college there as a result of that week.

My 4th daughter was supposed to go there.

She slacked off and missed the date for her required paperwork.

Ended up at Stetson. Then Monmouth in Jersey.

She now works in our business and makes more than me at 25.

Ouch! Expensive schools, but very good. I went to Rollins which is Stetsons counter part in Winter Park.
My Dad graduated from Rollins (early 50's I'm guessing). We both went to Winter Park High School but he went to the old, old school (mine was just the old one... :eek:).

Every marina I have been to on the East coast charges by the foot of your boat, not the length of the slip. You can dock a 40 footer on a 30 foot slip, and vice versa.

I think this is another east coast vs west coast thing. At least here in CA, like Gwiki said, you are charged for the longer of the two, the boat or the slip. I have never been to a marina that will let you use a slip more than 2' shorter than your boat (e.g. 40' slip you cannot be more than 42' overall, anchor to swimstep). Slips here have fingers the full length of the slip.

It is dangerous to have your boat stick into the fairway at our present marina. the current is very strong and it is a weekly occurance for someone to end up laid out against the end of the fingers. the guy on the end tie next to us is hit on a regular basis.

Different marinas charge different rates ....some by slip length, some by tip to tip...some by whatever you tell them...:D

Some charge by slip in the summer and tip to tip for winter storage....

Some change from transient daily to different rates for weekly based on different criteria...

To say marinas ONLY charge one way I think is incorrect...because I have receipts that can show otherwise...

My last 2000 mile cruise on the AICW and decades of delivery jobs...just about all marinas for overnight transient fees just ask "how big are you?" and pretty much go with what you tell them as long as it's reasonable.

My Dad graduated from Rollins (early 50's I'm guessing). We both went to Winter Park High School but he went to the old, old school (mine was just the old one... :eek:).

Class of '66. Winter Park is still one of my favorite places. You were indeed fortunate to grow up in that community. I believe that Rollins used the "old-old" elementary school on Park Ave for some offices before razing the building. What a lovely place. I couldn't afford to live there when I graduated, and probably couldn't now.

Different marinas charge different rates ....some by slip length, some by tip to tip...some by whatever you tell them...:D

Some charge by slip in the summer and tip to tip for winter storage....

Some change from transient daily to different rates for weekly based on different criteria...

To say marinas ONLY charge one way I think is incorrect...because I have receipts that can show otherwise...

My last 2000 mile cruise on the AICW and decades of delivery jobs...just about all marinas for overnight transient fees just ask "how big are you?" and pretty much go with what you tell them as long as it's reasonable.

Ah great points Scott. My post was in reference to the common practice with monthly rates in this area. We don't have winter storage here. :) Transient rates here are also based on the length of the boat-what you tell them, never seen anyone come out and measure. And absolutely it sounds like "it depends" on the marina, though I've found the Bay Area and CA delta consistent.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom