I run aground with my hooks in my pipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
Ok I hit bottom and totally destroyed my prop.

I put the boat on the tide grid.
When the tide went out I saw the damage.

Question one.
Can this prop be fixed?

It Saturday and I can't find a machine shop open. True.
(You have to remember this is Alaska and the reds are still running and the silvers are just starting to show up.)

The next morning when the tide came in I used my dingy to tow the boat back to the slip.

I went to a boat bone yard and found a 24" RH 16 pitch prop on an old Davis Trawler.
I worked out a deal to purchase the prop for $650.00.
The prop is in good shape. one minor dink on one of the blades that I fixed with a hammer and dolly.

So I have a friend with a dry suit that agreed to put the new prop on the boat. He only had 1100 lbs of air so we needed to make this quick. I tide a rope around the prop and lowered it off the stern and he slid it on and proceeded to put the castle nut on. It wouldn't tighten down. had to pull the prop off we measured the surface and discovered the shaft diameter to be metric and not standard. this tapered shaft was to large.
Question # 2 Can this hub be enlarged to fit the shaft?
# 3 If so should I lap the shaft to fit the new prop?

The key is also metric.
#4. Can a key be machined to fit both
shaft and hub?
I know I can find this all out on Monday but I thought I would pose the question to the forum first.
Thanks
Sd

Attachments

• prop 011.jpg
    prop 011.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 102
  • prop 012.jpg
    prop 012.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 103
  • prop 013.jpg
    prop 013.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 106
  • prop 014.jpg
    prop 014.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Better to wait till tomorrow and get the correct info.

I just purchased two props at $1600 per copy. I now have two sets of used props;
23x27 RH & LH Nibral.
23x26 RH & LH Bronze.
Both 1.5" shaft.
Anybody need them?

Regarding question 1

Local prop guy told me once nobody's brought in a prop he couldn't fix. Coulda been BS'ing me but at least he sounded sincere doing it.

Sorry about your trouble but I feel better now. Was under the impression that I was the only person on this forum that ever ran out of water. Nobody else has ever fessed up to it in a post here besides us that I remember reading.

Sorry about your trouble but I feel better now. Was under the impression that I was the only person on this forum that ever ran out of water. Nobody else has ever fessed up to it in a post here besides us that I remember reading.[/QUOTE]

only two kinds of skippers running a boat.

Those who have run aground and those who will

SD

SD: To bad on the prop and when the fish are running...

I'd call a prop shop. We had one cut down to fit the length of the taper.

I had a good experience with these guys. Maybe give them a call?

Northlake Propeller Seattle Propeller Repair and Sales

Thanks Larry. We have a pretty good prop shop in town. If thyey can't do nobody can.

This will all play out tomorrow.

I just had to whine about it to someone.

SD

I vote for the prop shop, too. Some of those guys can perform magic.

As far as running aground, here's my post about running aground with a coworker. I blamed him tongue-in-cheek, but of course, it was my boat and my responsibility.

I also had a previous accident involving bottom and running gear damage from striking a submerged vessel or other hard, sharp object. That one was an insurance claim and $8000 in repairs about 3-4 years ago.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/sob-ran-my-damn-boat-aground-5213.html

SD

SD, that is so true. Anyone running the ICW regularly had better not be too smug about running aground. There are enough shoally places that it is possible to run aground in the middle of the channel. That's the condition in the north end of Fields Cut now. Fortunately most of our stuff is shifting sand and mud that doesn't cause extreme damage.

Hey Don,

We were staying over at Ft. Pierce city Marina a few weeks ago on our way to the Abacos and saw Moonstruck. Beautiful boat.

Hey Don,

We were staying over at Ft. Pierce city Marina a few weeks ago on our way to the Abacos and saw Moonstruck. Beautiful boat.

Thanks, Doug. She certainly was not looking her best. The sun cover on the dinghy is in tatters, she needs a bottom cleaning, and a general outside clean up. I have been doing some upgrades in the engine room, and neglecting the outside until I get those done. Hoping to get down in the next week to complete the work.

Wish I were going over with you. We cancelled our trip over for this year. Keep us up on your cruise, and post lots of pictures. Have a great trip.

Sorry about your trouble but I feel better now. Was under the impression that I was the only person on this forum that ever ran out of water. Nobody else has ever fessed up to it in a post here besides us that I remember reading.

SD[/QUOTE]

Guilty as charged! Fortunately, most all of my cruising area is soft mud/sandy bottom so I was able to power off the bar with no damage.

I was trying to thread my way into a notoriously doglegged, tight and shallow entrance to ... what else? A waterfront bar/restaurant!

SD

Guilty as charged! Fortunately, most all of my cruising area is soft mud/sandy bottom so I was able to power off the bar with no damage.

I was trying to thread my way into a notoriously doglegged, tight and shallow entrance to ... what else? A waterfront bar/restaurant![/QUOTE]

Lurker, are you saying that alcohol was the "indirect" cause of that accident?:D

Just don't run aground on the top of White Rocks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom