Referring to your boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most of my friends are boaters, so I use accurate terms when identifying my 44' trawler. For those others, I have found no satisfactory way to communicate an accurate idea of what my boat is about, that is easily understood, so I usually don't bother with an explanation....
I usually hear things like " how was your sailing trip?", "can you sleep on it?", "can you go to Mexico?", "how far offshore do you go?"
Which is why I find "trawler style coastal cruiser" works best, because in the one statement it tells them it is of the size and sort of like a trawler, yet not literally a fishing trawler, and that it is capable of coastal cruising, so clearly fairly robust and seaworthy. If they then need more info, they have an image in their minds which prompts more informed questions.

....How do you refer to your boat to the non-boating public?

When someone asks about our boat, either motor or power usually starts the conversation. Where it goes from there, depends on the questions asked. We even use the word trawler sometimes. :)

This may seem odd, but I try to avoid talking about my boat outside of family and close friends--particularly at work. Folks tend to believe (at least where I live) that all boat owners are multi-millionaires or close to it. I have colleagues with F-350s, new cars, campers, four wheelers, large homes, etc. but no one makes a comment. I mention "boat" and the first response is "how can you afford that?"

Actually when asked about our boat I usually say "a 30' diesel boat". And if they want to know more I say "it's like a little fishing boat without the fishing gear".

But among boaters I say it's a little trawler even though it's a cruiser.

This may seem odd, but I try to avoid talking about my boat outside of family and close friends--particularly at work. Folks tend to believe (at least where I live) that all boat owners are multi-millionaires or close to it. I have colleagues with F-350s, new cars, campers, four wheelers, large homes, etc. but no one makes a comment. I mention "boat" and the first response is "how can you afford that?"

I relate completely with you on this. I never knew how filthy rich you become overnight buying a boat. :)

Try driving a 16 year old Porsche and see what response you get....

Self Contained Pleasure Cruiser :thumb:

Attachments

• TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 71
I relate completely with you on this. I never knew how filthy rich you become overnight buying a boat. :)

Since we have gotten the bigger boat, many of the neighbors no longer wave and smile when we drive past. Wonder how they found out, I only told a couple of people.

Try driving a 16 year old Porsche and see what response you get....

I very much concur with what you elude to in both quotes above.

That's sort of like me talking to a jewel cutter or an experienced jeweler about the cut, clarity, size, and quality of a diamond or other very precious stone... as I know little to nothing about jewels (except my own of course - lol!). I therefore rely totally on what the cutter or jeweler feels like telling me.

That said – In similarity to precious jewels and their “cut-clarity-value”... Boats and Classic Cars and their “shape-condition-value” are another two precious items that if people are not in the know – similar to me with jewels... they understand little about the topic/product and must rely completely on the expert's explanation.

Two points in fact:

1. I’ve owned several good condition used boats at one time before (own two now, sold a Malibu Skier in May, and am seeking a cruiser for SF Bay runs at present time). If I even mention this to persons not in the know on marine items they immediately assume I’m $$$$ wealthy. Currently that IS NOT the case! But soon again I plan/hope!! LOL

2. My 1967 Buick Wildcat with just about every option possible is near cherry and ALL original. She’s a 360 hp beast (muscle luxury car!) that can take on nearly any “fast” car on the road... and I sometimes do! There simply is no other car like her in our area. I use it as my “Chase Car” for looking at boats and other purchase items. As well I often drive it with wife at shot gun and a couple grand kids in back seat to take the kids to some fun event or out for dinner. Well... although I do enjoy the thumbs up and oooohs/awssss from people in parking lots, in the cross walk, or at a gas station... I have to be careful what I say when asked questions about my “Cat”. Cause – most people think it’s worth a small fortune... which it is not, on the real classic car market that is, where enthusiasts know the value of old vehicles! Similar to us boaters who know the real value (and annual costs) of boats. As well as the nearly unlimited pleasures they can provide.

Point I’m making here: Perceived value as compared to actual value is a judgment call greatly dependent on what one actually knows about any item.

Via my response to non-boaters asking what kind of a boat we own, i.e. “Self Contained Pleasure Cruiser” usually puts their minds in such a spin that they are often not sure what their next question should be. And, if I say that same defination to a boater – they know immediately what I mean... so our conversation starts off on an “even keel” so to say! lol

:speed boat::speed boat::speed boat:

Last edited:
Most folks around home don't know or care if I have a boat. On the dock where I keep the Blackfin, no one there knows that I have a Sabre in Florida. They just think I don't do much boating. I just tell the ones who ask that I have a power cruiser. You can imagine how hard it would be in Tennessee to explain a downeast style cruiser

Back
Top Bottom