Slowly to Rosslyn Bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquabelle

Guru
Continuing my reports on a staged passage from Sydney to the Whitsundays....

My last post reported arrival at Mooloolabah, where Aquabelle was berthed adjacent to Benn's Tidahapah..or would have been, if he hadn't just moved her down to the Gold Coast for the work he's reporting on in a separate thread!

The next stage took us to Urangan, via Wide Bay bar and Fraser Island...fabulous trip with superb weather. Hired a 4WD for a day on Fraser. Left the boat at Boat Club Marina (Benn's recommendation) and found the airport just 10minutes cab ride away and direct flights to Sydney available...so all very easy.

I returned to the boat a few days' ago and single-handed her the 4 hour run up to Bundaberg. Admiral & Ship's Girl flew into Bundy, provisioned in town and then came out to Bundy Port Marina, which is just inside the entrance to the Burnett River. The plan was to head out from Bundy to Lady Musgrave Is and then follow the chain of reefs and islands north to Heron, then on to Great Keppel and ending up at Rosslyn Bay marina....but weather in the form of strong winds (25kts gusting 35kts, 2.2m swells) has put paid to that.

So our change of plan has been: a passage north along the coast from Bundy to Pancake Creek moderately rough but not too bad thanks to the stabilizers; calm anchorage o'nite in the creek itself along with about 50 other vessels hiding from the wind & swell); then a short run into Gladstone lwhere we spent a day looking around (amazing harbour, giant scale industial development; and the friendliest & most helpful marina of the trip so far); then via The Narrows to Keppel Bay. The Narrows is a flat-water channel between the mainland and Curtis Island that gives an inland route north out of Gladstone Harbour to Keppel Bay. The tide has to be just right to make this trip, as there is a 6nm centre section of the channel that dries at low tide. But tides, if not the wind, were on our side so it was an easy and interesting run: a 10am departure from Gladstone Port Marina got us thru to Keppel Bay by 2pm. We've now come across to Great Keppel Island -- a moderately rough 2hr trip as the wind has if anything strengthened. We're anchored up in the anchorage claimed to give the best protection from SE blows....but swell is creeping around the point and we're rolling heavily, along with some 80 other vessels (looked like a marina, not an anchorage, when we approached!). Its 3am as I type this and the scurvy crew is all sound asleep. The rocking and rolling nearly threw me out of bed so I got up, checked the anchor and decided to TrawlerForum !

Plan is a day ashore tomorrow (I mean today) with a swim; another night here (but I'll explore for an alternate anchorage !); then across to Rosslyn Bay marina (only 7nm away), where Aquabelle will again be left as we fly back to Sydney from Rockhampton, the nearest airport, a 50minute shuttle-bus ride away.

Lady Musgrave and Heron will have to wait for our return leg.

Paul,
Glad you are back up , out and about.
Yeah, Great Keppel can be a a bit rolly at times as that SE swell comes around. I take it you are over in Svensons bay.
Roslyn Bay Marina is a terrific spot to park the boat for a while.
Ensure you have adequate time for the next leg, I take it you are going thru to Mackay.
Couple of good spots north of there, Corio Bay, Pear Bay ( absolutely beautiful)Island Head Creek ( my favourite) plenty to explore, good fishing and crabbing and fantastic protection as long as the Army don't have it closed for exercises and then on to Middle Percy ( a must do stop but can be a very rolly anchorage)
Lots of other good anchorages in this area.
You could go out to High Peak Island another of my favourites and good fishing.
Mackay good stop over look up Nick and Lorrie , Nick is a skipper on the Hay Point tugs and lives in the marina on Nauti Angel a 50' Angel sun deck. A good man to know even if he is a Kiwi.
All the best.
Cheers
Benn

Thanks Benn...good advice as always. We're having a better day today, moved out of Svenson's Beach around the corner to the resort beach just after dawn. Found it much more protected and little/no swell ! I guess the recommendations by Lucas and Patrick for Svenson's are based on sail yachts needing much more draft. For most of us 'trawlers' with only 1.6m or so draft, the shallow resort beach bay is fine. Met a guy with a 30' version of Tidahapah.....he's a local keeping this beauty over at Rosslyn. He stayed last night in the resort beach bay. Said it is not as good holding bottom as off Svensons but countering this, much less wind. Weather is somewhat better today so if the wind holds below 25kts we'll stay here overnight. If it starts to get up again we'll go over to Rosslyn late today.

I'll post a photo of the fine timber boat "Blue Gum" as soon as I can wrest the camera off the admiral.

rgds

Paul......
Mackay good stop over look up Nick and Lorrie , Nick is a skipper on the Hay Point tugs and lives in the marina on Nauti Angel a 50' Angel sun deck. A good man to know even if he is a Kiwi.....
All the best.
Cheers
Benn

Hey, watchit Benn...I heard that...

I'm envious Paul. I'd love to do that. We stayed in the resort at Yeppoon some yrs ago, but weather prevented us doing the trip to Great Keppel. Our boat has been to the Whitsundays under previous owners, but the 2 I C won't hear of it, I'm afraid.
Roslyn Bay did look a nice Marina.

Last edited:
I'm envious Paul. I'd love to do that. We stayed in the resort at Yeppoon some yrs ago, but weather prevented us doing the trip to Great Keppel. Our boat has been to the Whitsundays under previous owners, but the 2 I C won't hear of it, I'm afraid.
Roslyn Bay did look a nice Marina.
I must admit that I get a big kick (and knowledge) reading about these places in the world that most yanks never heard of. Keep it up! It's great reading! :blush:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom