Water in Thruster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pokey2

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pokey
Vessel Make
Fu Hwa/New Bedford 38
I have a Dickson stern thruster that is filling the hydraulic tank with water.
I'm assuming the water is coming from the drive unit as that's the only thing in the water. There is no sign of fluid in the water (no oil slick). I've searched the www but can't find anybody selling repair parts. Can these be resealed/repaired? Anybody have experience with these?
Clay

There may also be an oil cooler and if so it could be leaking. Check carefully for one. It may be quite small and may not be obvious.

:thumb: I like the oil cooler leak, as this is a low pressure part of the system.
The fluid pressure in the actuator is going to be exremely high, not sure how water would be able to get through the seals with the high pressure fluid behind the seals.

not sure how water would be able to get through the seals with the high pressure fluid behind the seals.

You wind on an old piece of fish line with the spinning prop.

Reverse direction does not remove it .

not sure how water would be able to get through the seals with the high pressure fluid behind the seals.

Because the thruster only works about .00001 percent of the time it is submerged in water and the only time the housing is pressurized is when it is running. The rest of the time it is subject to a foot or two of water column.

Does the unit currently function?
I looked at the unit on there website.
I think the water is coming from elsewhere.
If the unit is working there is no way for water to enter the reseviour.
Could you have a waterleak on the top of the tank?

Sd

I think Rick is correct, when the unit is not running the outside water pressure is much greater than the inside hydraulic pressure which is zero. So water leaks into the unit.

Bob

If water under very low pressure can leak in at the prop shaft it seems oil under pressure would leak or gush out. Is there an oil sheen after running the thruster?

If water under very low pressure can leak in at the prop shaft it seems oil under pressure would leak or gush out. Is there an oil sheen after running the thruster?

The unit most likely uses lip seals which use the pressure of the fluid to aid in pressing the seal against the shaft. When the pressure on the inside of the housing is less than outside, fluid may flow to the inside if the seal or shaft is worn.

High quality units use a double lip seal to help prevent this from occurring. If the external seal uses a stainless steel garter spring that has corroded away allowing the seal to relax its contact on the shaft, the chance of leakage from outside in is increased.

Have the oil tested and see if there is a high sodium level ... if so then the seals are leaking or something is spraying seawater into the hydraulic tank vent.

Pulled the boat this weekend and removed thruster. So I took it apart and there is a housing around the hydraulic motor itself. Housing was full of water and the o-rings around the fittings were torn. I managed to find 4 of 5 o-rings that kinda fit. It's working and not leaking, for now. It has no "lip seals" that I could see, I didn't pull the shaft out. but does use square o-rings. The unit is quite simple in design. What I don't get is how water can get in but not out. I,m hoping to get by until winter
then I can send the unit to Dickson and they will reseal it.

Boat is in fresh water. Thruster uses auto trans fluid. Fluid looks like strawberry milk.
thanks everyone

It has no "lip seals" that I could see, I didn't pull the shaft out. but does use square o-rings.

That "square O-ring" is probably an X-ring, the lower cost manufacturing alternative.

It will probably still leak but since you are in fresh water it probably won't destroy the system if it hasn't already. Water in a hydraulic system is not a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom