Finally done with repairs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
M/V Sherpa
Vessel Make
24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Well, yesterday was an important milestone--my wife and I finished the last of our repairs on the "to do list". It has been over a year since we took delivery of "Sherpa" and she needed much work despite receiving restoration work a few years earlier. My wife asked if we had "to do anything more" next week and my response was simply "enjoy the boat".

IMG_20130707_182605 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_20130707_182509 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Much of the work was done by Progressive Marine in St. Petersburg although my wife and I did our share: 5000 BTU A/C, shore power, repaired crazing on decks and repainted, acoustic insulation, fresh water supply, oil pan replacement (pan was rusted out), engine room repainted, inside painted, SS rubrails, anchor light, trumpet horn, battery charger, bimini, new V-berth cushions, prop replacement, bottom job, wheel house repainted, stove and chimney removed and fiberglass repaired, VHF and antenna, lots of electrical work, and the list goes on...

Last edited:
What a cool little boat.:socool: Are you taking her to Tarpon Springs?:thumb:

Well, yesterday was an important milestone--my wife and I finished the last of our repairs on the "to do list". .
A lot of members will tell you that you have a good looking boat. They are all being diplomatic and polite. I, on the other hand, will tell you that you have a GREAT LOOKING boat! I love the lines & bet she goes through the water with ease. Nice job!

That is a great looking boat!

Time to enjoy!

DONE!!! Never heard of such a thing!

Love the boat, now enjoy....and make another list.

Great looking boat!! If you ever get down to Pine Island, let me know and you can dock at our place.

When I saw the "Finally done with repairs" I figured you were announcing you'd sold your boat. Really nice looking!

I can personally confirm this is one sweet looking trawler! I don't know the owner but I was down at Progressive Marine earlier this year looking at another boat that was tempting me (fixer upper defever 49) and I could not help but notice this sweet trawler sitting on the hard being worked on. So much so that I snapped a picture of her as we walked by with my iphone. :)

Congrats on all the completed work- she will be a great little trawler to cruise the tampa area. if you need help taking her for a sea trail just let me know. :thumb:

Seriously- great looking trawler.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 397
VT, Sherpa is destined to haunt me. I saw it in person a little over two years ago by accident while looking at another boat. It tempted me from its trailer and I finally contacted the owner who had not yet priced it and was looking for offers. I saw it later on Yachtworld but I was still pining for a forty footer so fought back the urge to buy it.

A year ago after deciding on a 32 foot upper cap I went looking for it and it was no longer listed. I had a photo of it on my old phone and looked at it daily. After getting my new phone and buying my Owens I kinda forgot about it.

Until now...

That's the one that got away. Beautiful boat.

I appreciate everyone's compliments--this forum was an inspiration to get back boating and eventually purchase my first trawler! Thanks for the offer, Nimble1! I haven't been to Pine Island in sometime, but need to make the trek--loved the waters there.

Moonstruck--funny you mentioned Tarpon Springs. I lived there most of my life and we are planning to take the boat down this summer to visit Anclote Island and Three Rooker! I grew up boating St. Joseph's Sound from Anclote to Dunedin--lots of memories!

Woodsong--Yes, that is my Sherpa! Thanks for posting the pic! Just FYI... The DeFever 49 was sold to a young couple who have plans to restore it. I can't say enough about Progressive and their work quality.

SeaHorse--Thank you for the kind words. Sherpa received a rigorous shakedown cruise in 4'-7' waters around Egmont and DeSoto several weeks ago. I was very pleased with how it handled. Wife spent most of the time in the berth looking green, but she (the boat that is) handled like a champ.

That is quite a story, CPseudonym! I had been looking at this boat for several months and it kept calling me. She had received extensive work in 2008 but there was still much to do. I really liked the Vashon trawlers (full displacement pocket trawlers are not easy to find) but all of the Vashons I found for sale looked abused and neglected--this one stood out though. I made an offer far less than the price listed on Yacht World and the seller generiously agreed given she go to a good home. I did track down and contact the builder a few weeks ago and he confirmed that only 52 were built.

Last edited:
That is quite a story, CPseudonym! I had been looking at this boat for several months and it kept calling me. She had received extensive work in 2008 but there was still much to do. I really liked the Vashon trawlers (full displacement pocket trawlers are not easy to find) but all of the Vashons I found for sale looked abused and neglected--this one stood out though. I made an offer far less than the price listed on Yacht World and the seller generiously agreed given she go to a good home. I did track down and contact the builder a few weeks ago and he confirmed that only 52 were built.

Sounds like he sold her to you in the neighborhood of my original offer to him. We never got far into negotiations once it was obvious how far apart we where. When I was in play the PO was still too grief stricken and emotionally attached to sell the boat. He had it built for his father who subsequently passed away. Sad back story.

In reality the PO of my Owens (whom I've since became very good friends with) lost the same proportional amount of money spent on refit cost in relation to the sale price. Kinda driving home the old truism, "the best way to make a small fortune restoring old boats is to start with a large one"

Great photos and glad Sherpa found an owner willing to finish the job.

Woodsong--Yes, that is my Sherpa! Thanks for posting the pic! Just FYI... The DeFever 49 was sold to a young couple who have plans to restore it. I can't say enough about Progressive and their work quality.

That defever was a great deal, even with the work she needed. Had my Monk 36 already sold when I viewed the defever I would have picked it up. Thankfully I couldn't justify owning 4 boats so I passed but boy was I tempted! :D My wife even liked it despite the work it needed. That boat had a lot of potential and I am sure the new owners will be very pleased once they get her a bit more ship shape.
Funny to see your boat here though b/c I walked around admiring your trawler for a bit prior to leaving Progressive- she looks even better in person than in pictures!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom