Transportable Trawlers Section?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

portager

Vessel Name
Osprey
Vessel Make
Nimble Wanderer
How about a forum section on trawlers that are transportable with an oversided load permit? Boats that are not legally trailerable but are capable of being transported economically and without major disassemble?

There are many advantages of transportable boats, especially on the West Coast of the USA which in ICW deficient. Transportable boats can be larger and more sea worthy that trailerable boats. A transportable boat could be professionally moved from San Diego to Bellingham for less than the the cost of fuel to drive the same distance. A transportable boat could be shipped from LA to Port Isabel far cheaper, quicker and easier than transiting through the Panama Canal. Transportable boats can access land locked lakes and can do the great loop in sections. Transportable boats can even be transferred to a Mexican carrier and shipped to Bahia San Carlos to cruise the Sea of Cortex (Gulf of California).

There are many transportable boat details worth discussing. For example the shipping cost nearly doubles when you are required to have a pilot car. Pilot cars have to be licensed in the state you are in (it ain't Maw in the station wagon with blinking lights on the roof rack!). The beam limit to avoid a pilot car is <14' in Oregon, Washington, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas but it is 12' in California.

Another topic of discussion is all the existing boats that qualify as transportable boats such as the Roughwater 37' Sedan, Tad Roberts Passagemaker Lite 46+ and the Nordic Tug 34' just to name a few.

If you scroll down through the Builders Forums you will find a "Trailerable Trawlers" forum......:thumb:

If you scroll down through the Builders Forums you will find a "Trailerable Trawlers" forum......:thumb:

Yes, but the Trailerable Trawlers section subheading says, "Any boat that can be towed without a special permit..."

I'd like a section for boats that could be transported, but require an oversized load permit.

Yes, but the Trailerable Trawlers section subheading says, "Any boat that can be towed without a special permit..."

I'd like a section for boats that could be transported, but require an oversized load permit.

I'll change the wording on that sub-forum description for you tonight. Feel free to start your thread there.

Our first trawler was this Albin27 that I yachted up and had a trailer built for. Single Lehman 80hp. Her 9'-6" beam required a wide load permit then, not so in all states anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_4231.JPG
    IMG_4231.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCN0841.jpg
    DSCN0841.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCN0270.jpg
    DSCN0270.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 1st pictures 038.jpg
    1st pictures 038.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCN0286.jpg
    DSCN0286.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Nice one Daddyo, I'm a sucker for Albin's. That one had to hurt letting go of.

Portager, the long overdue re-name of that section is complete. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Back
Top Bottom